SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canadian S40/V50 owners, need some info please

I'm shopping around right now for a good deal on an S40 2.4i with Premium, Audio, Sunroof, black paint and am wondering approximately how much off of retail can I expect to pay?

I've read that in the USA right now Volvo dealers are discounting quite deep, but the dealers I've spoken to in the GTA thus far have been sticking fairly close to MSRP. I was expecting about $2K off of a $40K car, but is that unreasonable?

Any input/comments are much appreciated

Modified by TheProfessor at 7:10 AM 6-14-2006

·
Registered
71 Posts
I purchased a 2005 V50 last July when they were starting to unload the 05s. I received approx $7500 of MSRP (including $4000 cash back). The cash back was only offered for a straight purchase, not a lease.

Wait another month or so, they get antsy once they start clearing out the 06s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (jakemtl)

Wow, $7500 off? Even without the cash back offer $3500 off is a lot more than I'm seeing at the moment. Thankfully I'm in no real rush, so if waiting gets me a superior deal than that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do either of you (or anybody else) have the dealer cost from a site like carcostcanada? If not, I will purchase it this week-end and post it up for future users. I know that it's not the real dealer invoice, but it will give a good idea of how much room there is to play with on the car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: (TheProfessor)

Quote, originally posted by TheProfessor »
Do either of you (or anybody else) have the dealer cost from a site like carcostcanada?

I don't...
I went the demo route to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (Dills)

Perhaps the $4000 was only in Quebec? As I said, I took advantage of this last July when they started clearing out the '05s

Define markup... Canadians are overpaying for these cars. Just compare a similarly equipped S40/V50 by pricing it out on the US and Canadian web sites. Makes me feel like we are being gouged here in Canada.

There are deals to be had on these cars especially with summer clearance of 2006 models starting now. It's all about how you negotiate and if you can find the Volvo dealer in your area that is more focused on volume.

Modified by jakemtl at 3:24 PM 7-7-2006

Modified by jakemtl at 3:27 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: Canadian S40/V50 owners, need some info please (TheProfessor)

I would resist the temptation to wait. The car you describe is not ordered by dealers as commonly as you may believe. Most order cars with a sports package as they lease better, and few take the audio package on the 2.4i in Canada. In short, the car you are looking for may not exist.

What dealers have you tried?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (Dills)

I love my V50 and I see the value that it has. However, if I had to buy this car at or around MSRP I would have looked elsewhere. There are
many entry level luxury cars out there and what sold me on this car was price:features based on the discount I received. Otherwise, I honestly would have spent a few bucks more and gone for a TSX or G35. But that's just me.

Let's be honest. The V50 sells pretty poorly in Canada. There has to be incentives out there for buyers, especially at the end of a model year. I respect your position and opinion as a dealer but I think Volvo also has to work on market penetration and price accordingly with this model.

When the time comes, my next car will be purchased in the US and brought into Canada (assuming a favorable currency exchange rate). I am tired of car manufacturers ripping off Canadians. It does not matter to me what the dealer ends up with as profit - as a consumer I want to know that I am paying a fair price for the car. When my neighbours located 1 hour south are paying 20% less than me for the equivalent car I feel really ripped off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: (jakemtl)

The V50 worldwide is Volvo's 2nd most popular car. It represents for us, an introduction into the wagon market for those buyers looking for sporty cars, but need more space.

The V50 has been engineered with considerable versatility, longevity and safety in mind. While we do continually get compared to other brands who too make good products, no one else spends the same time and money on crash research- a costly feature (Volvo crashes some 350 cars per year- expensive!). All airbags are not created equal- they are only as good to the car they are attached, and given the choice of any of the compeditors on the V50 I would much rather have the Volvo than any other.

If we look back only a few years ago, a Volvo in Canada was much cheaper than our US counterparts were paying. Canadian car manufacturers have not colluded to make our cars more expensive, but instead a weak US dollar has forced those car to become more inexpensive.
Don't feel ripped off- the cars are also different than they are here. Options are bundled differently and many features, standard in Canada are optional in the US. The gap, after all is said and done is not as great as the papers might have you believe. Beware also of the costs of making your US spec V50 legal in Canada as well... Our Laws are different...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it looks as though we won't be getting a Volvo just yet. We went to a few dealers, and while the deals were there, none of them could offer us a car with exactly our configuration. Also, the residual values have decreased as of July 1st, which means that the monthly payments have increased. We'll see what happens but we're also exploring a couple of other cars right now like the Audi A3.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (mcvolvo)

You don't have to sell me on the merits of the car - I love my ride.

Given the dip in the US currency (and the rise in the Canadian currency) I strongly believe that car manufacturers need to work on adjusting their prices accordingly at regular intervals. There should never be an extended period of time where there is a large discrepancy in car prices between the US and Canada (I know the car manufacturers won't agree since this cuts into their profits). When the US dollar was stronger, Americans used to come here to buy their cars. Now we are going there. Pricing may not work out so well on an imported Volvo since they are manufactured overseas and duty will have to be paid on top of PST and GST. However, if you purchase a car manufactured in the US, you can skip the duty under NAFTA. I have a friend who has bought several bimmers in the US and has saved a fortune. There is a bit of time and paperwork involved but it really isn't a horendous process.

I invite you to do an exercise - price out an S40 or V50 on the US and on the Canadian web sites. You can equip them with relatively identical features. As a consumer, let me know how hard your jaw hits the floor when you see the final price difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I purchased my S40 2.4i w/ Sport Package + Sunroof, I was able to get about 4K off.

1. Grad Discount
2. Package Discount (about 1/2 price)
3. Dealer Discount

In total, 39K including tax (cash purchase).

If you want the best price... call around and don't be too picky about the colour. When you call each dealer - give them the exact model and options you want - tell them to give you the best price over the phone before you'll come in. That way you can weed out the sales guys who you know will deal with you and those that want to upsell you.

If you're in the GTA, I would avoid Newmarket Volvo. Volvo Villa has been pretty good.

In anycase... just be prepared for some software/electronics issues with the car... I've had to take my car in 9 times to get stuff fixed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I've already had a bad experience with Newmarket, so I'd definately stay away from them. The issues with the car are also leading me to look elsewhere. The A3 and BMW 3 series also come with scheduled service which makes a big difference. We'll see.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I dug up this thread due to the fact that I was searching for those who thought of buying a car in the USA. Now, I know for a FACT, that if you live in lets say.. Montreal, and you go buy your car in Vermont.. our Quebec dealers will let you in for servicing, but dont expect a free spot the following week. Pressure is mouting at Volvo of Canada.. some dealers are getting calls about buying cars in the US and bringing them over here. To my knowledge, there is no official info for those who do purchase a car in the USA and service it in Canada. What happends for warranty, problems, recalls, safety? This is more complicated then it seems. I know people who saved 15 000 - 20 000$ on their USA Porsche.. but that is a different clientelle.

My 2 cents... this economical unballancement is a "pay back" for the time that the Americans were paying 3000$ more for the same car as us... a few years back. In all, the balance will be restaured somehow.. but as a customer, I agree with Jakemtl, I feel like I am getting screwed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts