SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a long shot but is it possible to turbo the standard 2.4i engine? I cant really imagine that the 2.4i and T5 engine are built all the differently but then again I do not know all to much about these cars. Can some one provide a decent amount of insight as to if it is possible and what some of the work required to do it would be? Also if it would be worth it?:confused:

Thanks,

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not worth it. I've been frustrated in the past by the 2.4i engine, and it wouldn't be worth it to add a turbo. Sell the car and buy either a T5 or a faster car, unless you want to pour a lot of money into it. If that's the case, do something different, like the GTR's V6 ;)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
why not? anything is possible with money and time. it would probably be easier to source a t5 engine, ecu and harness.

·
Registered
244 Posts
yea agree with everyone else....I turboed a Pontiac Sunfire....needless to say it was awesome and ran low 12's but it was an endless money pit.....just buy a quick car and make it look good....after that call it a day and drink a beer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I suppose I should have looked for a T5 a bit more but was in need a car and wasn't going to settle for anything less then an S40 and was on the time restraint. Lesson learned now. Next time gents.

·
Registered
244 Posts
well at least if you wanted to, make the 40 into a DD and get yourself a toy to build....That way you can learn and know the thing front and back. IMO

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Yeah I suppose I should have looked for a T5 a bit more but was in need a car and wasn't going to settle for anything less then an S40 and was on the time restraint. Lesson learned now. Next time gents.
And that's why I have an automatic :facepalm:

Keep in mind too, what you're asking is to put a turbo on a 2.4 liter engine. It wouldn't be as easy as just buying a turbo off the T5 (2.5 liters), or would it?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It wouldn't be as easy as just buying a turbo off the T5 (2.5 liters), or would it?
It wouldn't. Better idea would be to supercharge it, but that idea makes sense oly if it really amuses you and you are pretty good at DIY mechanic skills. Oh yes, knowing a good tuner would also help..

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm looking to super charge mine one day. Slowly adding up the parts I'll need in my Favorites folder. I know iPd has a twin-charged C30 so.....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Keep in mind too, what you're asking is to put a turbo on a 2.4 liter engine. It wouldn't be as easy as just buying a turbo off the T5 (2.5 liters), or would it?
Well, yes and no.

The turbofold would bolt right up, you could swap out the intake manifolds (all of the manifold studs would line up fine, so mechanically speaking it wouldn't be a terrible endeavor (with the right skills and tools). I think the only real fab work would be figuring out an oil feed/drain to the turbo itself, which means tapping the block. The issue is tuning. The 2.4i has a much higher compression ratio (probably somewhere in the 10:1 range) than that of the T5 (what, 9:1?), which essentially means without careful tuning and low psi (think 5, maybe 6psi tops), your engine would be extremely prone to detonating. From what I understand, the ECU has yet to be cracked, so the fine tuning you would need is currently unavailable unless you went to a third party standalone system like MegaSquirt or AEM. You could have the block, head, and internals machined to achieve a lower CR, but then you're essentially throwing money at something that will be slower and more finicky than a bone stock T5.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
nah, easiest way its to sell the car and buy a t5 ....hassle its not worth it with the 2.4 ;)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think Kova has it right.
These are modern engines. Everything is computer controlled so not only it would be a huge job to get the mechanics working but you'd have to spend even more money to tune it right, and than you might not even get the T5 power.

I know we can get attach to a car so what could be done more easily I would think is to find a salvaged T5 engine with similar mileage from a crashed car and swap it. Still some serious work...

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Look the Look.
Talk the Talk.
Don't worry about the Walk.

You love your car and you don't have to worry about the unknowns when buying another car. Enjoy what you have for now and make a list of Must Haves for your next car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What supercharger fits??

It wouldn't. Better idea would be to supercharge it, but that idea makes sense oly if it really amuses you and you are pretty good at DIY mechanic skills. Oh yes, knowing a good tuner would also help..
Where can you find a supercharger for a 05 volvo s40 2.4i?!

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Where can you find a supercharger for a 05 volvo s40 2.4i?!
There's a little indy shop behind the farm that sells Unicorns, they might be able to help you.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You should contact ipd about how they did a supercharger. But once again like everyone else says, it's pretty dumb to do unless you have an endless supply of money and time.
Get a cat back (or deunicorn it with a res delete)
Intake maybe? Focus on looks and suspension!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts