SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
You thought wrong. The electronic clutch is dynamically disengaged by the ECU, it's not a fixed RPM.
But I think it is not easy to engage at high RPM as the supercharger is not spinning. So the controlling is still limited. ECU can engage it earlier, and delay the disengage, but may not disengage at low RPM and engage again at high RPM. And supercharger is anyway not that useful at high RPM after turbo kicks in.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
But I think it is not easy to engage at high RPM as the supercharger is not spinning.
Right, this discussion only pertains to high accelerator input below ~3,500 rpm.

When the supercharger is engaged (below 3500 RPM), piggyback controllers attenuate the MAP signal (artificially reduce manifold pressure signal) and the ECU responds by increasing the RPM at which the clutch is disengaged. It's likely because the ECU uses MAP signal/RPM tables to coordinate the supercharger-to-turbo handoff and it's targeting a specific manifold pressure.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Have you installed the upgrade?

It looks like about 30 more HP from the Stage 2 than stock on our S90 for under half the price of Polestar.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think you got catfished. Doesn't work/apply to SPA vehicles.
Let me just ask EVERYONE listening, (catfish aside, I chuckled BTW) a simple question. Simple, as in, don't overcomplicate things. What is the point on spending XYZ on a vehicle and said "mods" whatever the cost, and putting this in the hands of some unknown, not proven tuner/tune etc. just to save a buck??? and expect a good outcome. I have literally spent over 13K on the lower end build on my car not including other crap that I've done and would ONLY trust ROBERT HILTON to tune it. DONE and DONE.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you installed the upgrade?

It looks like about 30 more HP from the Stage 2 than stock on our S90 for under half the price of Polestar.
I have not. Merely posted the video because I'd seen it a couple hours before I saw this thread and figured it was relevant. I have 209,300 miles on my 12 XC60 T6, which burns oil, so probably not a good cantidate for a tune.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Let me just ask EVERYONE listening, (catfish aside, I chuckled BTW) a simple question. Simple, as in, don't overcomplicate things. What is the point on spending XYZ on a vehicle and said "mods" whatever the cost, and putting this in the hands of some unknown, not proven tuner/tune etc. just to save a buck??? and expect a good outcome. I have literally spent over 13K on the lower end build on my car not including other crap that I've done and would ONLY trust ROBERT HILTON to tune it. DONE and DONE.
Well, you make a good point. Here's another: At some point in time, Robert Hilton made his first tune ever. Eventually, he won't be around anymore. Someone will HAVE to take his place, and everyone HAS to start somewhere. It worked for the video author. It's important to remember to save your old tune/software so you can reflash it to that if there's an issue.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well, you make a good point. Here's another: At some point in time, Robert Hilton made his first tune ever. Eventually, he won't be around anymore. Someone will HAVE to take his place, and everyone HAS to start somewhere. It worked for the video author. It's important to remember to save your old tune/software so you can reflash it to that if there's an issue.
Thanks man, you just wrecked months of therapy. I had put that thought completely out of my mind. Lol. I have the files but you are very correct, eventually an alternative will need to be sought. Or, I sell it down the road....or trust that he has passed his knowledge onto someone that I can then again trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks man, you just wrecked months of therapy. I had put that thought completely out of my mind. Lol. I have the files but you are very correct, eventually an alternative will need to be sought. Or, I sell it down the road....or trust that he has passed his knowledge onto someone that I can then again trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pretty good at that, actually :) Everybody has to make a name for themselves doing whatever it is they do. Dale Jr can't live off his father's legacy forever, eventually you gotta get in the racecar and prove you can win. SOMEBODY has to trust the guys just starting out, or else they'll never get off the ground. Or hey, maybe it's Hilton's tune cloned by the Chinese and sold at lower cost. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2017 Volvo XC90 T6R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, I'm still not puting up a fight against the lady's ford flex ecoboost 😂 in stand still, 30 & 60 rolling and higher.

I do beat her when hers limits to 120 and I'm still pushing 130+ lol

2017 XC90 Polestar
RC Chip Sport Mode 5
GruppeM intake
Euro Silicon Intake Pipe/Sleeve.

Haha pretty lame

Don't recommend RC Chip as it fights with the cars engine and runs through the gears too fast.

Times at 100+ the turbo lags and gives up until it breaths again and floors it.

I've tried so many factory settings with it.
NO P* + RC all modes and settings
P* + RC all different modes/settings.

😂

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best part of P* is shifting and handling characteristics, not the speed. That said, my 2017 S60 T6 AWD R-design P* flies, both off the line and overtaking. No, it isn’t a race car, it’s a Volvo — safe AND fun. As for tuning over P* with RC, not sure, but am looking forward to your results. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
608 Posts
Thanks again for a great suggestion... since I have the do88 intercooler on order I was going to go with the Heico ECU module but the wiring harness modifications were a bit of a let down.

I just checked Hilton Tuning, its OBD flash and seems like a good way to get a custom tune! I have reached out to get one so I can try it out once the intercooler is installed. Thanks (y)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Thanks again for a great suggestion... since I have the do88 intercooler on order I was going to go with the Heico ECU module but the wiring harness modifications were a bit of a let down.

I just checked Hilton Tuning, its OBD flash and seems like a good way to get a custom tune! I have reached out to get one so I can try it out once the intercooler is installed. Thanks (y)
Great guy, sometimes takes a bit to get a response but well worth it. Old adage, patients is a virtue....you'll be happy in the end.

Reactions: WunderWagen

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why not just buy a sports car in addition to the Volvo? As another poster stated, pick another vehicle for your speed needs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Why not just buy a sports car in addition to the Volvo? As another poster stated, pick another vehicle for your speed needs.
A Jag F-Pace SVR is an awesome performance SUV and sounds sexy as hell. The XC90T8 in any version of tune is a different animal.

Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
608 Posts
I like all my cars to have performance... but agree with your point.

My other car is a GT4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NFARVW

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like all my cars to have performance... but agree with your point.

My other car is a GT4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love that blue! I'm pondering on whether to go back to McLaren after the Artura pushes 570S prices down. I had a 2019 570S Track Pack (coupe) but may go for a Spider this time around. To think they will be at 120K in a year or two is crazy. I was all set on going back to Ferrari but for the money, the performance McLaren hands out can't be over looked. Mine was 100% reliable as well, it was wasn't good to my speed ticket claiming abilities LOL! Beautiful Porsche man!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts