SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volvo XC90 T6R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2017 XC90 T6R) Unimpressed with polestar upgrade that was installed 2 days ago. Can you tune over a polestar?

Just ordered Race Chip GTS tonight.

Next Tuesday I receive/install Gruppe Intake.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Out of curiosity, what were your expectations from Polestar? The stated/marketed increases aren't mind-blowing. Peak horsepower change is 15 and mid-range, maybe 25. 0.1second different to 60. I'd imagine the race chip would work, but for me Polestars attractiveness is preservation of refinement, reliability and warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Volvo XC90 T6R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was expecting more umph in overall acceleration (from 0, rolling, freeway speeds, and other scenarios).

What I do love, and I might have hit a great combo with adding the RC (time will tell once recieved) is the P* reliability and actually doing more than "HP" such as improving the transmission shifts - which is AMAZING Now, shifting is ridiculously smooth. Which many tunes, if not all other 'out of the box' lack (such as RC).

100% agree with you on your P* statement.

The real test comparison lol is against my lady's car. A 19' stock AWD Ford flex ecoboost, which gaps me from most if not all scenarios.

should've got the T8 😂

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok, you said you were unimpressed and now claim the transmission shifts are AMAZING now and smooth.

So my original point was, anyone who just read the marketing material on P* tune would come out basically concluding the car won't be recognizably faster 0-60 or in passing, but shifting and some mid-range oomph will improve.

·
Registered
2017 Volvo XC90 T6R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, you said you were unimpressed and now claim the transmission shifts are AMAZING now and smooth.

So my original point was, anyone who just read the marketing material on P* tune would come out basically concluding the car won't be recognizably faster 0-60 or in passing, but shifting and some mid-range oomph will improve.
Unimpressed with how adding up to 25hp and 30tq (Power Mid-range) to me those numbers seemed like a lot, but didn't make a big difference IMO. That was my original expectation.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah Polestar claims an improvement of 0.1 seconds to 60 mph, that is basically impossible to feel in terms of sheer speed.

Reactions: SwedishVictoria

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get a refund on the Polestar... why both tuning over it when you can just start fresh and get your money back? I've always been told it has a 30 day money back guarantee, and I know I've asked my service team if that's changed fairly recently and it had not.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get a refund on the Polestar... why both tuning over it when you can just start fresh and get your money back? I've always been told it has a 30 day money back guarantee, and I know I've asked my service team if that's changed fairly recently and it had not.
Isn’t the downside for refund and uninstall of Polestar that the VIN can never be reinstalled? I thought was the case early on, but never heard for certain.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Reactions: SwedishVictoria

·
Registered
2017 Volvo XC90 T6R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good comments and angles of thinking.

I got a heck of a deal on P* at just over 1000 out the door.

According to Race Chip up to 30% hp/tq gain ~ 70+ hp.

If I get anything near half off that on daily driving mode levels, P* could save me in transmission reliability.

That's my thinking...

I also just purchased a silicon tube for the intake pipe from eurocompulsion. That should supplement well with the Gruppe Intake box.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
According to Race Chip up to 30% hp/tq gain ~ 70+ hp.
I highly recommend you read this entire thread before installing a RaceChip (i.e., overdriving our tiny supercharger):

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
608 Posts
Lamarguy, what about Viatrix? Any known issues?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Lamarguy, what about Viatrix? Any known issues?
All piggyback controllers (RaceChip, Vaitrix, etc) can unintentionally overdrive the supercharger (hot air == pulled timing).

RaceChip allows you to select different maps (boost attenuation), so you could datalog and find the "safe" map (handoff <= 3,800 rpm, probably map #2 or #3), which is below the advertised performance gains.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
(2017 XC90 T6R) Unimpressed with polestar upgrade that was installed 2 days ago. Can you tune over a polestar?

Just ordered Race Chip GTS tonight.

Next Tuesday I receive/install Gruppe Intake.
Call Rob....

·
Registered
158 Posts
All piggyback controllers (RaceChip, Vaitrix, etc) can unintentionally overdrive the supercharger (hot air == pulled timing).

RaceChip allows you to select different maps (boost attenuation), so you could datalog and find the "safe" map (handoff <= 3,800 rpm, probably map #2 or #3), which is below the advertised performance gains.
I don't think you can overdrive supercharger without modifying the hardware, aka changing the crank pulley to supercharger pulley ratio. If there's no hardware change the spinning speed of supercharger won't change, thus no overdrive.

It's more likely the turbo charger.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Maybe it’s time to sprint for the xc60 polestar engineered instead or v60 polestar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts