SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!<p>So this weekend I broke the front driver's side glass on my R. When I rolled the window down, the glass came off track, and when I tried to roll it back up (stupid, I know.) it got caught in the track and broke. <p>I took it the door apart Sunday, and one of the blue plastic sliders came loose when rolling down the window, causing it to jump off track. <p>I called the dealership this afternoon, and they have a "hardened" window for $116, and the laminated window for $395. (obviously I can get these somewhere cheaper than going to the dealership.) My R came with the laminated windows. Do they HAVE to be replaced with laminated glass, or can I use the cheaper alternative? <p>The dealer here in Phoenix said they have to be replaced with laminate, because the hardened glass is a different thickness, but he wasn't too convincing when he said it. (Is this true or is he just trying to sell me glass that's 3X more expensive?)<p>Thanks for your help!<br>Michael

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
huh ? <p>I have doors with windows in them so ... ? <p>Wich door Drivers door or passenger door driver side ?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: Can you replace the laminated side windows with "hardened" glass? (martini876)

You can use either as long as its the correct dimensions. You don't HAVE to use laminated.<p>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Can you replace the laminated side windows with "hardened" glass? (martini876)

It's the glass in the left front door.<p>This is what I'm trying to figure out... does anyone know if the hardened and laminated windows the same dimension? (The dealer said one may be thicker than the other.)<p>Thanks!<p>

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would think they are the same size, but I can't speak to that for sure. You will notice an increase in road/wind noise with the hardened glass. Laminated glass is designed for superior sound suppression and insulation. If those matter to you then obviously I would recommend laminated. Just my .02

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (Evos_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Evos_R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think they are the same size, but I can't speak to that for sure. You will notice an increase in road/wind noise with the hardened glass. Laminated glass is designed for superior sound suppression and insulation. If those matter to you then obviously I would recommend laminated. Just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE><p>He could always have a tint shop put a layer of clear film over it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Re: (Tiny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Tiny</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He could always have a tint shop put a layer of clear film over it.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>True, but laminated glass is actually 2 sheets of glass with a plastic film between them. Windshields are laminated, thats why they don't shatter when hit like a hardened (tempered) window would. Clear film would do the same thing in that sense, but the other benefits would not be as significant. Not to mention that tint film isn't cheap when done properly!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Re: (Evos_R)

I'm curios to know glass thickness too.<p> Wondering if anyone who has laminated glass could measure the glass thickness and make/post a picture. I could do regular one. so we could compare..

·
Banned
3,517 Posts

You can switch to regular glass if you have laminated. it will fit.<p>Dunno if it would give more rattles because there should be obvious more space inside the rubbers, created by the thicker laminated one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts