SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while at a You Pick junk yard I found a newer S40 (2009) w/ an aux built into it (aux plug was in the center console).

Is it possible to swap my older stereo (2005) w/ a newer stereo to get the aux in in?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Nexus,

Now, I'm sure there are other people on here that know quite a ton about the radios in these Volvos but here's my two cents. If your original radio didn't come with an AUX, it means your ICM doesn't display the the "AUX" mode. You would need some sort of software upgrade/change to get this feature to work. On top of that, your current radio simply isn't wired properly to support the Aux Jack. I'm not really sure what modifications you would have to make to your IAM wiring but it would probably involve some sort of splicing of wires etc... and this alone is a reason for me not to do this.

Maybe instead look into a BluePower radio (I know these are expensive) or some android GROM unit. I don't think anything else would be worth the hassle unless you really know the insides and out of how the IAM/Amplifier works.

Again, just my two cents, but maybe someone else can correct me on this.

I had a radio issue when I bought my 08 S40 and thanks to this form, that's resolved and I also had the opportunity of installing the BluePower radio and it's got a whole ton of features that makes you forget about the aux cord haha.

Edit: You would need an IAM from 2007+ with Aux support but this still goes back to the software upgrade for your ICM. If you have nothing to lose getting that 2007+ IAM/Aux and have a plan for upgrading the software... sure why not but orherwise... it's not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So it isn't just a plug and play option. The Bluepower stereo looks like a great option, but a bit beyond what I want to pay. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The BluePower certainly looks great in theory, but in reality it is nothing more than a cheap and nasty Android unit bundled with a stupidly expensive wiring harness... I can’t recommend it, and there a plenty of reports of how unreliable it is, and how difficult it can be to work with BluePower if/when things do go wrong

·
Registered
58 Posts
The BluePower certainly looks great in theory, but in reality it is nothing more than a cheap and nasty Android unit bundled with a stupidly expensive wiring harness... I can’t recommend it, and there a plenty of reports of how unreliable it is, and how difficult it can be to work with BluePower if/when things do go wrong
Initially, they sent me the wrong harness and it actually ended up frying the main unit lol. But this did get sorted out. I was also a bit disappointed to find out the unit didn't come with 5Ghz wifi capability given the price (Wanted to connected to Blackvue cam but said it needs to be set to 2GHz wifi mode because the BP didn't have 5GHZ support). The max amount of RAM was only 2GB as well :/. Regardless though, it sure as hell beats the old monochrome display and its like adding a computer to your car and there are a range of possibilities you can do with it.

Otherwise, look into an Android GROM unit, I heard those were possible to install on these cars and the pricing isn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have been trying to upgrade my 2005 V50 with Performance (Basic) sound to a higher performance factory system with limited success. The speakers are the first to go. I snagged the DynAudio speakers and the Premium Sound amp out of a 2008 junk yard S40. The amp is plug-and-play and made a huge improvement. I got a CD changer with aux out of a 2007 but the harness is completely different from mine. The 2008 ICM is not recognized by my car. I did get a 2005 Premium Sound ICM and it worked. The sound is improved mainly because it is programmed differently, the hardware is the same. I still don't get the Premium Sound equalizers or other DSP functions. They are apparently in the CD changer, again very different wire harness.

Overall the sound is greatly improved with the DynAudio speakers, Premium Sound amp and ICM. I really could use the equalizers and I really wish I could stream audio from a phone or MP3 player.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the amount of work it would take the transpose one receiver into another console and the aforementioned software, you're better off just doing the FM modulator. Wire that up, set a station memory button to the FM channel and label it as AUX.
You could go one further and wire a 12V step-down from your fusebox to a USB hub, so you have powered USB and then connect both to your phone.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm about to add a modulator and call it a day. What are some good FM modulators (wired in to the antenna) these days?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have been trying to upgrade my 2005 V50 with Performance (Basic) sound to a higher performance factory system with limited success. The speakers are the first to go. I snagged the DynAudio speakers and the Premium Sound amp out of a 2008 junk yard S40. The amp is plug-and-play and made a huge improvement. I got a CD changer with aux out of a 2007 but the harness is completely different from mine. The 2008 ICM is not recognized by my car. I did get a 2005 Premium Sound ICM and it worked. The sound is improved mainly because it is programmed differently, the hardware is the same. I still don't get the Premium Sound equalizers or other DSP functions. They are apparently in the CD changer, again very different wire harness.

Overall the sound is greatly improved with the DynAudio speakers, Premium Sound amp and ICM. I really could use the equalizers and I really wish I could stream audio from a phone or MP3 player.
Hey AutoGeek, thanks for the info. I stumbled across another one of your posts on this, and it looks like you have some good experience with these systems.

So I have a 2005 S40 w/ basic sound. It sounds like you are suggesting I can relatively easily upgrade the speakers and amp to a premium sound version. Since I have recently become addicted to junk yard picking this sounds like something I will want to do in the future. Speaker locations are obvious but I've yet to figure out where the amp is in my S40.

Can you tell me where to locate that?

[Edit: Never mind, I googled it.. seems it is the driver's side rear fender well.]

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There were two variants of the basic (Performance) system. One has the amp built into the CD player. The other, like mine, has the amp located in the trunk left side behind the trim panel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have insight into replacing the CD changer out or hacking it? I’ve researched this a lot and the best solution seems to be the MELBUS hack in the previous generation, but it seems like that’s not applicable to P1s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There were two variants of the basic (Performance) system. One has the amp built into the CD player. The other, like mine, has the amp located in the trunk left side behind the trim panel.
Thanks for the info. I guess I can look and see if it is there or not. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts