SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm not sure where to post this so I am just making a post in general.

About 6 months a go I picked up my first Volvo, a 06 2.4 V50. It had a blown head gasket so the car was cheap. I fixed it and have done about 10k km on it and it has been nice but it's time for something manual and quicker. This is where the title of the thread comes in.

There is a 05 V50 T5 M6 for sale. It looks to be in ok condition but the timing belt went so if i can find a new motor for it I can have another cheap volvo. It's under $1000

The only motor I have found that I hope will work is a B5254T5 from a 2012 S60 T5. it only has 30k km on the motor and its less than $1000.

The v50 has a B5254T3 and the S60 has a B5254T5. Can any of the volvo guru's on this page shed some light on these motors.

The main question is, will this be doable? if yeah then there are some other questions

Do the have the same head? I'm guessing the bottom end will pretty much be identical but I'm not sure if the intake and exhaust will have the same bolt patterns.
Do the have the same Cams?
If i pull the motor will everything from the B5254T3 bolt straight onto the B5254T5?
Will the motor mounts from the v50 fit it?

The main swapping the motor over to get a running car. If the turbo and exhaust manifold etc fit then thats a bonus. There is probably a bunch of stuff getting overlooked so please let me know.

The V50 i have has been really straight forward to work on so I'm happy doing my own wrenching if this is going to work.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just a little update. I done a bit more googling about the S60 motor and see that some of them have oiling problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comments/40qk1g/2012_volvo_s60_t5_bulletin_major_oil_guzzling/

It's for engine code 62, chassis range (last 6 of the VIN) between 0017819-0170117 and a structure week between 201046-201219

The donor car has the engine code 62 and the last 6vin numbers (C2078895) are within the range mentioned about so should I stick away from it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should I ask this on the v50 thread or the s40 thread to get a reply? I have been trying to search this forum to find answers but no luck so far. could anyone here please help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you’ve done your homework on the swap. Stay away from any hint of engine problems. Also try other forums such as Swedish Brick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you’ve done your homework on the swap. Stay away from any hint of engine problems. Also try other forums such as Swedish Brick
I have tried to do my homework but i'd like someone with more knowledge to chime in with some advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts