SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: 2004 V70R M66

I've recently developed a strange "jingling" noise which only occurs during a cold startup. It's intermittent. It doesn't happen every cold start, but it's only happened during cold starts. It's happened with the car in and out of gear as well as with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Sometimes it happens once the idle gets up to its high level and continues until it settles at low idle, sometimes it only happens as the idle comes down from high to low and it's just a brief noise as it passes some resonant RPM. When it gets down to low idle, I've been able to recreate the short little noise by lightly increasing the RPMs, but I've never been able to find a specific RPM where it keeps doing it. I don't hear the noise when I'm driving the car. When seated in the driver's seat, it sounds like it's coming from in front of me. From the outside, it's less obvious what direction it's coming from.

I'm really not sure where to start checking on this and it's so hard to diagnose because it's not easily repeated and I have such a short time to locate it. As best I can figure, the source can be somewhat narrowed down by the fact that the car is not moving so many items are ruled out. It seems RPM dependent, so it's got to be something whose motion changes with engine speed. The noise is much louder outside than inside the car. Whatever is making the noise is not causing any lights or codes.

Has anyone heard this sound before and know what it is or where I should be looking?:

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiwwqgm91awcnuo/VIDEO0083.mp4?dl=0[/video]

Please help! :confused:

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Sounds like it could be the idler pulley/bearing for the accessory belt or timing belt. When they are cold and the grease hardens up is usually when you can hear an old one going bad. Could be an issue with the A/C compressor pulley bearing as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The timing belt idler is new, but the accessory belt idler is not. I did the timing belt last year at 58k miles due to the 10 year limitation, but the accessory belt didn't have the same restriction, so I left it be.

Is there an easy way to identify the accessory belt idler bearing or A/C compressor pulley bearing as the offender?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does it ever leak coolant? It does sound like an idler, or the water pump. Also, your turbo could be without oil and the way the bearing is designed it might make a sound like that, but that would be rare I suspect.

The easy way to ID if it is the pulley on the front of the engine is to see if it wobbles when the belt is on. shine a light on there and see if its moving towards and away from the engine. Mine was doing that and it was easy to see.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it ever leak coolant? It does sound like an idler, or the water pump. Also, your turbo could be without oil and the way the bearing is designed it might make a sound like that, but that would be rare I suspect.

The easy way to ID if it is the pulley on the front of the engine is to see if it wobbles when the belt is on. shine a light on there and see if its moving towards and away from the engine. Mine was doing that and it was easy to see.
Water pump is also new and I've not seen it leak any coolant at all.

I wouldn't think it's the turbo, but at this point I couldn't concretely rule it out.

I will try eyeing the idler up while it runs and see if it's wobbling. I guess the other thing I could do is check for play with the engine off.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
They can make noise without any play at all. Best way to track down a noise like this is to get a wooden dowel, put one end up to the part in question and the other end up to your ear hole. If you are right on the offender you will be able to tell that way for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Get a new exhaust or live with it... I'm cheap and lazy guess which one I did.
Do you know exactly what's happening? Is the exhaust rusting away or something?

Is it a cat-back issue or downpipe issue?

The VR's got 59k miles and wants for nothing. There's no way I can let it continue to sound like this.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to hear that at least it's nothing like the engine about to fall apart or something. I feel better about that. Thanks Hound!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Cheapest fix is going to be a res delete if that truly is what's rattling. I would climb under the car with it running making that noise and check the exhaust out. And see if you can't pinpoint the noise.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheapest fix is going to be a res delete if that truly is what's rattling. I would climb under the car with it running making that noise and check the exhaust out. And see if you can't pinpoint the noise.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6
This is exactly what I thought. I've got three options ranging from free to $700+ (assuming it is the exhaust, which it sure seems like it's got to be based on Hound's sound being identical to mine):

Free - Swap new IPD exhaust from SR to VR, put original exhaust back on SR
$50-$100 - JRL mod VR's exhaust (if I can pinpoint that the resonator is the source)
$700+ - Buy an EST Touring exhaust for VR

I'm leaning towards JRL mod to VR exhaust. I can't imagine living with the IPD exhaust on the VR and I'm not really sure I want an "upgraded" exhaust on the VR at all.

Looks like I need to do some investigation this weekend.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
JRL mod on my VR was fantastic. That paired with a 3" catted downpipe was my favorite setup. Nice tone, and nearly no drone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts