SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was all excited to get an Airstream Bambi to tow with our 2012 T6, but we learned US tow rating for our car is 3300 lbs and the Bambi is 3500 lbs. In Europe the tow rating is 2100 kg (4,600 lb). Why is that?

Would we be able to safely tow something like the Bambi?

Thanks for expert advice!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Yeah, we've talked about this before and the only thing I can assume (probably incorrectly, lol) is that there is more concern from a liability perspective why the tow limits are so significantly different between US and Euro specs.

We went down the trailer rabbit hole a few years ago and the Bambi is a nice unit - just realize the 3,500 lbs is dry weight, so you'd need to add whatever you're bringing - fuel, water, food, clothes, other stuff to that number, so another few hundred pounds.

The big number where the Volvo falls short is the tongue weight rating of only 165 lbs, which is really hardly anything. Just by comparison, the Bambi tongue weight is 430 lbs I think so you'd be at double the rating of the car - not good.

Posters either from the US or Europe will tell you that they've towed 4,000 lb trailers with no issue but it's way outside Volvo's limits in the US and I'd always be a little concerned if I had an accident that wasn't even my fault that I'd be held responsible at least partially because I was exceeding the listed limits of the vehicle.

In the end, we've looked into towing with our XC60 or XC70 and eventually resigned ourselves to getting a tow vehicle if we were to go in that direction. I'd probably get a Toyota pickup.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Time to start looking at teardrop trailers. Not as "classic" as an Airstream but definitely trendy these days.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Time to start looking at teardrop trailers. Not as "classic" as an Airstream but definitely trendy these days.
Teardrops are nice but they're really just a hard shelled tent that you just lay down in and sleep, can't stand up in them - for $15k, lol.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Teardrops are nice but they're really just a hard shelled tent that you just lay down in and sleep, can't stand up in them - for $15k, lol.
Yeah, depends on your "lifestyle" and whether there are kids involved. If I had to guess, someone who was excited about an Airstream probably wouldn't be excited about a teardrop. "Happy wife" and all that... Mostly suggested as it would fall within the weight/tongue limits.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My wife was all excited to get an Airstream Bambi to tow with our 2012 T6, but we learned US tow rating for our car is 3300 lbs and the Bambi is 3500 lbs. In Europe the tow rating is 2100 kg (4,600 lb). Why is that?

Informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LULd9Bc9tY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2009 XC70 T6
4 Posts
Hi, everybody
We just bought a 2009 XC70 T6 having in mind towing a Bambi in the future.
Looking for info about the XC70 towing capabilities I found in instagram this couple: @the.silver.rooster
As you can see they are all-time travelers with a XC and a Bambi. They were also so nice, after sending them a private message for info, to share with me this web: www.canamrv.ca where I have found a lot of interesting info.
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
'16 XC70, '06 V70R, '99 LR Discovery 1, '96 + '94 LC FZJ80, '88 XR4Ti, '78 Saab 99, '70 LR Series 2A
22 Posts
Consider total weight of XC70 + gear + passengers + trailer. Then consider breaking capacity and limits. IMO, a Bambi behind a XC70 is very doable so long as you are very concious of braking; both over heating and brain threshold under full load. Consider performance pads and Dot 6 synthetic brake fluid to increase boiling point.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Consider total weight of XC70 + gear + passengers + trailer. Then consider breaking capacity and limits. IMO, a Bambi behind a XC70 is very doable so long as you are very concious of braking; both over heating and brain threshold under full load. Consider performance pads and Dot 6 synthetic brake fluid to increase boiling point.
In your situation, I'd look into the P2 XC90 front brake upgrade as well.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
^Trans cooler too.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

You first Airstream?

·
Registered
2009 XC70 T6
4 Posts
Hi, everybody.
Thanks for your answers.
Last year we bought a 19 feet 3.200 lb trailer for the summer because we have family coming to visit us and we planned showing them Grand Canyon, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Colorado through a road trip. We towed it with our 2000 VW Eurovan Westfalia syncro diesel. We learned two things: First that we need a more powerful vehicle for the Colorado uphills (huge uphills). Second that a powerfull brake system is needed for the downhills (and city traffic driving as well) because even with an electric brake controller sometimes I didn´t feel so confortable.

So, we decided to look for a second family car and the XC70 is a type of car we know and love because we owned a diesel one in Spain few years ago. We found a 2009 T6 in really good shape and we bought it. So, the uphill problem is solved. About downhills... After testing a trailer with hydraulic brakes I found the answer to my concerns. The safety feeling of that improvement is like driving a totally different trailer.

And now we are thinking about an Airstream Bambi 22FB or fiber travel trailer (Scamp, Casita...) because my wife wants something more confortable after so many years traveling with the van and the facilities for traveling with a trailer here in USA.

I have yet installed the hitch in the XC70 (oem part 31359467) but I´m very confused about the number part for the wiring harness because I find like different options: 4 pins, 4/7 pins, 13 pins... Anybody could please help me with that?

Thanks in advance so everybody in this awesome forum.

Happy new year!!!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have yet installed the hitch in the XC70 (oem part 31359467) but I´m very confused about the number part for the wiring harness because I find like different options: 4 pins, 4/7 pins, 13 pins... Anybody could please help me with that?
I think the 13-pin connector is European. I gather the 7-pin connector is one of the more common for bigger American trailers. The 4-pin is the standard for little trailers (and what I use until I get around to wiring my trailers with a 7-pin connector.

I used the 4/7-pin connector on my car, part number 31346065, and was around $90 when I bought it. It has both connectors next to each other, both with attached covers. I used an aftermarket hitch, so I had to use a universal mount and that worked fine. I think the OE hitch has a mount already.

There's more info in the sticky at the top of the forum, and If you search "trailer" and my username with the advanced search, you'll find a decent bit of info too, but let me know if there's anything unclear and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck!

Reactions: XC70manu

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
^Trans cooler too.
Would love to hear from someone who has put a trans cooler on the P3. I’m a bit stumped by the rigid plastic hoses to and from tranny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Would love to hear from someone who has put a trans cooler on the P3. I’m a bit stumped by the rigid plastic hoses to and from tranny.
Me too. It's the first thing everyone says to do, but I've never seen one actually done. The dealer says not to, Europeans say not to, and I never have. The only problem I've had with an automatic was a 240 that didn't like reverse when it was hot...but I'm pretty sure that started before I towed anything with it. I towed relatively light trailers though.

The one I have now is the heaviest, and with my lead foot and Polestar, I'm certainly open to installing a cooler if it can be done cleanly and factory-looking. I just haven't found ANY info about it that's Volvo specific.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts