SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was all excited to get an Airstream Bambi to tow with our 2012 T6, but we learned US tow rating for our car is 3300 lbs and the Bambi is 3500 lbs. In Europe the tow rating is 2100 kg (4,600 lb). Why is that?

Would we be able to safely tow something like the Bambi?

Thanks for expert advice!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yeah, we've talked about this before and the only thing I can assume (probably incorrectly, lol) is that there is more concern from a liability perspective why the tow limits are so significantly different between US and Euro specs.

We went down the trailer rabbit hole a few years ago and the Bambi is a nice unit - just realize the 3,500 lbs is dry weight, so you'd need to add whatever you're bringing - fuel, water, food, clothes, other stuff to that number, so another few hundred pounds.

The big number where the Volvo falls short is the tongue weight rating of only 165 lbs, which is really hardly anything. Just by comparison, the Bambi tongue weight is 430 lbs I think so you'd be at double the rating of the car - not good.

Posters either from the US or Europe will tell you that they've towed 4,000 lb trailers with no issue but it's way outside Volvo's limits in the US and I'd always be a little concerned if I had an accident that wasn't even my fault that I'd be held responsible at least partially because I was exceeding the listed limits of the vehicle.

In the end, we've looked into towing with our XC60 or XC70 and eventually resigned ourselves to getting a tow vehicle if we were to go in that direction. I'd probably get a Toyota pickup.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Time to start looking at teardrop trailers. Not as "classic" as an Airstream but definitely trendy these days.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Time to start looking at teardrop trailers. Not as "classic" as an Airstream but definitely trendy these days.
Teardrops are nice but they're really just a hard shelled tent that you just lay down in and sleep, can't stand up in them - for $15k, lol.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Teardrops are nice but they're really just a hard shelled tent that you just lay down in and sleep, can't stand up in them - for $15k, lol.
Yeah, depends on your "lifestyle" and whether there are kids involved. If I had to guess, someone who was excited about an Airstream probably wouldn't be excited about a teardrop. "Happy wife" and all that... Mostly suggested as it would fall within the weight/tongue limits.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My wife was all excited to get an Airstream Bambi to tow with our 2012 T6, but we learned US tow rating for our car is 3300 lbs and the Bambi is 3500 lbs. In Europe the tow rating is 2100 kg (4,600 lb). Why is that?

Would we be able to safely tow something like the Bambi?

Thanks for expert advice!
Informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LULd9Bc9tY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts