SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so used to buying cars with fixed pricing using various discount programs, that this is the first time in decades that I've had to do old-fashioned negotiation for a price. The car I am looking at is a 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, with 600W Harman Kardon Premium Audio, the Advanced Package, Heated Rear Seats/Steering Wheel, and the Protection Package Premier.

MSRP for the car is $51,400. I am paying cash and am not trading in. I have been using OSD pricing as my target for a good deal, which is $47,356 (this is a bit of an estimate, because I don't know what he OSD pricing is for the Protection Package – i'm assuming $550 vs. the US MSRP of $610). I do not qualify for the loyalty or affiliate discounts. The local dealer says they can't match OSD pricing and after three rounds of negotiations have offered $48,351.

I realize that pricing varies by market (I'm in the Northeast), timing, etc., but I'm curious to what is considered to be a good deal on this V60CC. CarGurus.com lists $49,647 as a fair price, $47,536 as a good price, and $46,329 as a great price, but I don't know how reliable or useful those data points are.

Any advice/pointers would be appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
It is a new model year and the car maybe is just off ship. So dealer doesn't want to give more discount.
If you tell them the mid-point 48k even, maybe there is a chance. If this is your favorite color it is not bad to pay several hundreds more than waiting for an OSD delivery.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this is your favorite color it is not bad to pay several hundreds more than waiting for an OSD delivery.
I think White and Denim Blue are my favorite colors, but i'm fine with Grey. I need to get a car this week or next, so I can't wait to order a car or do OSD delivery (and I do have good deals on non-Volvo options).

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I'm so used to buying cars with fixed pricing using various discount programs, that this is the first time in decades that I've had to do old-fashioned negotiation for a price. The car I am looking at is a 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, with 600W Harman Kardon Premium Audio, the Advanced Package, Heated Rear Seats/Steering Wheel, and the Protection Package Premier.

MSRP for the car is $51,400. I am paying cash and am not trading in. I have been using OSD pricing as my target for a good deal, which is $47,356 (this is a bit of an estimate, because I don't know what he OSD pricing is for the Protection Package – i'm assuming $550 vs. the US MSRP of $610). I do not qualify for the loyalty or affiliate discounts. The local dealer says they can't match OSD pricing and after three rounds of negotiations have offered $48,351.

I realize that pricing varies by market (I'm in the Northeast), timing, etc., but I'm curious to what is considered to be a good deal on this V60CC. CarGurus.com lists $49,647 as a fair price, $47,536 as a good price, and $46,329 as a great price, but I don't know how reliable or useful those data points are.

Now only if the timing were any better! I bet, and as FusionRedXC60 mentioned, they must be fresh off the boat and you won't have luck snatching a killer deal on them.

Fast forward 8-10 months and if you were looking at the same exact car, I bet you could do at least a 15-18% off, of the same Vehicle as the 2021s would start trickling in and no one bothers buying wagons anymore (in the USA). I picked up my MY18 V90CC in the first week of July, 2018 for almost 20% off MSRP and even I didn't qualify for a single discount! I brought the price down to below $59k on a $71k + V90CC.

Also, do not be shy to look at Out-of-State dealers. I got mine from one. You get a nice long road-trip driving back home.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Car is really too new to get decent discounts. If you need to get something now then I'd try Costco's auto buying program as I've gotten pretty competitive prices in the past. I've also done remote purchases several time as was suggested so can recommend that though it's probably still early to any appreciable discount on the car. You really do pay a premium to being the first one on your block and unfortunately first year models typically have teething issues so there's that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really wanted a 2020 v60 cc white with blonde, both advance and cross country pro packages, heated rear seats and steering wheel, HK audio upgrade. MSRP $53590. None around here so I ended up special order at $49000 locking in the Sept lease terms as worst case 3 year 15k/yr. Car is due at the end of November. I also was turning in a 2017 v60 cc 7 months early am almost right on my mileage limit of 45k. Volvo has an early lease termination if you roll into another Volvo. Given the timing an special order I am ok with it. I think if you can get to 9% or so that may be the best you’ll do right now. I am also in the Northeast, greater Boston area. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

One tip if you have a few days before pulling the trigger is to Email a Bunch of dealers with a similar car and see what prices they offer you. Mentioning the vehicle you have now and seeing if anyone would come in at a lower dollar figure and "Beat the Original Offer". Use that as a negotiation tool with the local dealer and see if they'd match prices. Assuming Another dealer came in lower.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One tip if you have a few days before pulling the trigger is to Email a Bunch of dealers with a similar car and see what prices they offer you. Mentioning the vehicle you have now and seeing if anyone would come in at a lower dollar figure and "Beat the Original Offer".
That's what I did with the car we most likely will be getting (a Volkswagen), but that worked because there were several cars in the area that had the identical specifications. There are not many V60 CCs in inventory that have what I wanted (Automated package, but not the Crossy Country Pro package). Unfortunately, I am replacing a car that was in an accident, so time is not on my side. But I appreciate the advice! My heart is still set on the Volvo and the plan is that my wife will take over the VW and I will look for a V60 in a year or so when hopefully there will also be low-mileage used cars or lease returns in inventory.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

I just bought the same car you are looking at in Birch Light without the Harman Kardon (would have like HK but the color was more important). I first offered the OSD price, in the end we split the difference so I got it for $48,000. Not the best deal but I wanted to drive the car away that day. I would be happy with $48,351 for the car you are looking at.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
That's what I did with the car we most likely will be getting (a Volkswagen), but that worked because there were several cars in the area that had the identical specifications. There are not many V60 CCs in inventory that have what I wanted (Automated package, but not the Crossy Country Pro package). Unfortunately, I am replacing a car that was in an accident, so time is not on my side. But I appreciate the advice! My heart is still set on the Volvo and the plan is that my wife will take over the VW and I will look for a V60 in a year or so when hopefully there will also be low-mileage used cars or lease returns in inventory.
Been in that same boat, where my only car was totaled, by no fault of my own. I had been without a car for several months, and pulled the trigger. I probably should have taken my own advice, but dealing with an accident and no car is stressful. So live and learn, which is what I hope others do from my own experiences.

I ended up getting a spectacular deal on my car, because of some hiccups. Dealer threw incentives my way to make things "right". Landed a Prepaid Maintenance + Wear package for Zero Dollars. (7yr / 100K + Brakes, Rotors, Wipers). So even though I didn't get the dealer to negotiate on their Loaner CPO price, it worked out by getting a $4,000 apology.

One mistake I would have changed, is probably going for an AWD vs. FWD. I use Nokian winter tires, but the torque pull of the FWD is noticeable if accelerating quickly. And there is some reduced performance in Winter, even with winter tires. I had a V60 AWD loaner, and it felt more planted than a FWD S60. Course the V60 was heavier.

Still, I am very very happy with my vehicle and it does well 95% of the time. Handful of winter incidences I say AWD would be nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
V60 CC
Metallic Black
Amber Leather
19inch wheels
Premium Package
Climate Package
Vision Package
Convenience Package

Paid $57,400 Canadian including Freight and documentation

We originally wanted a fairly simple model without many features, only really caring about pilot assist for lane centring and pre-collision breaking. Unfortunately the dealer didn't have anything like that in stock. We picked one that didn't have climate package which is frivolous even though we are living in Canada but they tossed it in for free because they accidentally sold the one I put deposit down on that didn't include it. Coming from a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring with basically no tech or features in it, this is one hell of an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Same old soap box for me... different states have different advertizing laws, so just asking for a best price isn't going to get you real answers. Some states are much worse than others. Maryland is a great example of crappy consumer laws. Owings Mills, like other MD dealers, list the $995 destination charge in the list of options that makes up the listed MSRP, but here is their fine print:

"All prices exclude freight. All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $300. WOW prices include all applicable rebates and incentives."

Lets break that down... first... freight is excluded, even though it's itemized in the MSRP. Not Owings Mills fault, that's a crappy state law and they have to do that to be competitive with the folks down the street. How about "all applicable rebates and incentives". Generally that includes A plan... which the OP is specifically asking about because they are not eligible for it.

IMO OSD is an unrealistic price point to get to unless it's end of model year or else in a state that shifts money around from the price into the fees. It's not just that dealers won't give up gross, it's that there aren't rebates from Volvo to make it possible without losing money. XC90 is currently a bit of a concept breaker as the 2020s came out early with strong rebates. But the V60... $0 in rebates for general consumers for our region anyhow. When a car is hard to get and in huge demand like XC40 at launch then dealers are able to make a little bit of money, but otherwise, the general slide on how much a dealer is going to be willing to lose of their margin doesn't change all that much through the year in many cases. It's the rebates that change.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I was looking at a car (online) located in MD yesterday and had to add almost $2k to the advertised price for destination, dealer processing, etc. etc. This was not including sales tax. I laughed at the salesman when he told me the number, lol.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
That's why I only deal with in terms of Out-The-Door pricing! I don't care if the dealer wants to charge me $2k as his documentation fee, as long as I'm getting the deal I want (a huge hefty discount), I don't care about the break-up of costs he mentions in the final transaction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Join Volvo Club of America for $45 (vcoa.org) makes you eligible for the A-Plan. $3474 Discount after 1 year. Membership Benefits

National and regional events
A-Plan by Volvo Car USA - Exclusive Offers
Volvo Employee pricing on a new Volvo
Bonus incentives on New, CPO and OSD
Available after 1yr of membership
Discounts on parts and service
Rolling, a bimonthly, full color magazine
VCOA Technical Forum

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a big fan of truecar. I put in the Volvo 2020 V60CC but it's not giving me any popular package options yet. I guess it's too early. I do see a few sales at the invoice price but it's tough to know how they were optioned. In any case, I'd see what truecar gives you back. It bases it on sales in your area so you may have more sales where you are in which case it can give you better data. i got an amazing deal on my '19 XC60. I walked in knowing exactly what I wanted to pay, offered and got it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
TrueCar used to be a great deal until dealers forced them to change their pricing model. Now TrueCar is like any other buying service. Decent deals are possible but better deals are available. It depends on how much you want to negotiate.

The last time I checked dealers paid a $400 finders fee to TrueCar.

Also, I take their historical sales prices with suspicion. Dealers and manufacturers won’t give TrueCar access to that information.

Use them as a starting point.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Truecar depends completely on the dealers in the area. In areas with many Volvo stores it will be much more competitive than if you're looking at the only Volvo dealer in the area. Truecar gets it's pricing from the dealers themselves. Also you still have to be vigelient against the state border differences that can be very confusing.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Truecar has been terrible the few times I've used it. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts