SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the answer is no, but short of unplugging it or pulling a fuse, is there any way to deactivate the foot sensor under the rear bumper that opens or closes the trunk/hatch?

On occasion it gets accidentally triggered, which usually isn't a big deal, but I just got a bike rack that attaches to the hitch, and I REALLY don't want the hatch to open right into the bike rack on accident.

Honestly, I don't understand why Volvo doesn't just deactivate that feature when the tow hitch is deployed and extended. Or more importantly, why they don't just make it a button you can toggle on an off on the left most screen. I mean I guess you could turn on valet mode, so the hatch can't be opened without a PIN, but that seems like a needless extra step.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
You can disconnect the two antennas from the module. Don't remove the fuse or disconnect the module. If it's like the XC90s, it's part of a network with the battery monitor sensor and it can disrupt it if disconnected.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can disconnect the two antennas from the module. Don't remove the fuse or disconnect the module. If it's like the XC90s, it's part of a network with the battery monitor sensor and it can disrupt it if disconnected.
Yeah, I want to avoid that. Was hoping there might be some other software workaround. I guess the "Private Locking" function is really it.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Not that I know of. The antennas are easy to access. The FMDM is under the driver's side of the rear bumper cover. Look along the bottom edge of the bumper cover. Remove the two torx screws on that side that hold the cover to the heat shield. Pull down the cover slightly and you'll see the FMDM. There are 3 connectors- two for the antennas and the one from the car. I believe the car one is in the middle but I'd have to verify. It should be apparent which are the antennas as you ca see the antennas right there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What about just covering it with a foil tape or some other shielding so that it can't detect any foot movement? Would that throw a error?

I would suspect that you could easily fashion something that clips over the sensor that is not destructive and can be removed easily when you do want it to function.

Might be a simpler solution than disconnecting wires and removing screws - again - contingent on it not throwing a code of some sort.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Removing a couple screws to disconnect two connectors is easier than fabricating something you have no way to attach that may not work. But you can try.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just opted to use the Private Locking feature. It's not as simple as a single press deactivation, but it's also quicker than disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor each time I want to take the bikes out. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts