SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my '95 850 and need to know something. If you disconnect the right harnest from the top of the cluster, will the cruise control still work?

I need you to have the following to do the test:
1. 1995 850
2. VDO Cluster (the VDO cluster has the trip mile meter in the center and the total mileage on the bottom).
3. Working cruise control.

I'm starting to think that the cruise control gets it's signal from the cluster. I don't know any other way to be sure since my cruise stopped working after I worked on the cluster/harness.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
to my knowledge in all 850's it's vacuum controlled. Often you need to adjust the sensor behind your throttle peddle (I can't recall the exact cap atm).

In my 850 (ym96) the CC-relay failed. It's located in the fusebox under the hood. You need to remove the cover around the fuses to get to the relay.
I tested the entire circuit back then thru measuring voltages at the relay and they where all good, so swapped the relay and it worked again.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped the relay. I am trying to find out where it gets it's speed signal from.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The test has been run and the results are in... The cruise gets it's signal from the cluster. That signal to the cruise unit is then sent to the OBD-II port. So if you have a cruise failure, and you have no speed signal to the OBD-II port, you are not getting a signal from the cluster.
http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/can-someone-run-test-me-64679/

That leaves one of two (or 3) problems...
1. You have a bad cluster that is not sending a speed signal to the cruise unit.
2. You have a bad wire connection from the cluster to the cruise unit.
3. You have a bad speed sensor off the transaxle, sending a poor signal to the cluster (if the speedo works).

Hope this helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts