SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drum brakes have always baffled me, but I have to replace the shoes in the ebrake and I really have no idea how how to do it. But I figure if I can do an audi timing belt, ebrake pads shouldn't be too bad. Does anyone know of a diy article that's aimed towards the clueless? I've got an 04 if it makes any difference. I know absolutely nothing about drum brakes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have not seen the ebrake on a Volvo, but I have done a lot of mechanical work. What I would suggest is, if you can lift the rear of the car and remove both drum brakes. disassemble one side, and if your unsure of how the parts should fit look at the other side for guidance. Look at the brake shoes and place the new ones on the floor as they should be installed. remove the springs and all other parts on the floor as they should go on. As you disassemble things put whatever goes on the left, on the ground to the left and so on. As you need guidance look at the other side. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are you sure the shoes need to be replaced? Maybe so if someone burned them up driving around with the brake on. First, though, make sure you have tried adjusting the e-brake using the adjustment process (accomplished in the passenger compartment, under the console near the gas pedal). It's a bit of a tricky job, but once you figure it out you may just have a nice strong e-brake again.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did adjust the ebrake and it didn't make any difference. Then I took the rotors off and had someone push the pedal and release it and the shoes were moving, but they are pretty much done to the metal. It must have been driven with the ebrake on. I'm just uncomfortable with doing it because I've never done an ebrake, but I'm interested in learning how to do it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was the same way before I did it for the first time. It's not too bad, it's harder than changing oil, but an average DIYer should be able to do it with the tutorials available. I have done them on P1 and P2 volvos and the job was essentially identical. I will look for it tomorrow, but I think I did a write up on my 850 over on matthewsvolvosite. not to drive you over there, but there are pics. If not there are some here.

If you find a write up for a V70, S60, 850, etc. the job will basically be the same. Hardest part is getting the springs back in place. buy the spring kit, don't assume you'll be able to re-use the existing, its a few buck worth not having to sit with the car on blocks for 2 days waiting to get the parts in.

May be a good time to consider rotors and pads, or at least pads and turning rotor since you have to take all that off to get to the ebrake...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts