SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 S60R auto with 84,800 miles. I've only the had the car for 1,500 miles so I'm conditioned to the sounds and feel of the car as it was when I got it. This weekend I successfully installed a new PCV system, minus the long breather/coolant hose running back to turbo (pipe was clean and in good condition, initial diagnosis was faulty oil trap.)

The process took a long time and I ran into some issues. I replaced the small hose going from banjo bolt to the breather hose with some rubber brake line and modified an adapter so it may have a slightly higher flow than normal. I slowly put it all back together making sure to check each and every hose connection and clamp was cinched down.

Topped her off with coolant and she started right up. Let it idle for 10 mins then took it for a test drive. When i got back, I checked crankcase pressure via glove test and I had vacuum! (before the glove would inflate like a balloon) Power was great and it ran beautifully (cleaned throttle body,) no power loss, if anything, seems I gained some power.

The only difference I noticed was the turbo sounded significantly louder under acceleration. The more gas I'd give it, the louder the hiss/spool up sound was on the turbo. I think it sounds great, but I just wanna know if this is normal? Could this be what the turbo normally sounds like with proper vacuum? Maybe I wasn't at full boost before?

Now it's totally possible I put the OTE charge pipe v-clamp on wrong over the flange, so I'll double check that later, but otherwise the vacuum hoses are all intact and seem good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a boost leak.
Unfortunately what I was expecting to hear. It very well may be the V-clamp on incorrectly (possible that the clamp is only over the flange of the OTE charge air pipe and not the flange on the turbo). I'll take it off and make sure it's on correctly. I'll also check all other hoses just in case I missed something. Is it bad to drive the car with boost leak, or does it just affect power? It's not throwing any codes. I need to make a 400 mile roadtrip wednesday :/

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also make sure the turbo to MAF duct is properly secured and that none of the lines have been pulled off where they go into the duct right before the turbo.
Will do, I did mess around in the area a bit so I'll run through it and check. I've watched a few videos and it doesn't sound like your typical boost leak. Sounds like it's just getting more air flow/pressure. If I don't find anything and the sound remains without a code, should I worry?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Since its also one of the ways people start hearing more turbo in the cabin, also make sure the bearing in the steering boot where it passes through the firewall hasn't popped out.

If you are not throwing codes the issue can't be that bad, but then again it doesn't mean there isn't an issue. May take you running through the revs and loads to trip a code.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since its also one of the ways people start hearing more turbo in the cabin, also make sure the bearing in the steering boot where it passes through the firewall hasn't popped out.

If you are not throwing codes the issue can't be that bad, but then again it doesn't mean there isn't an issue. May take you running through the revs and loads to trip a code.
Will do, thanks. Yeah I tried running through each gear individually. The noise definitely only kicks in when turbo kicks in and gets louder as boost goes up. I drove it around for half an hour and didn't have any noticeable jumps in power. When i went into manual mode it sounded and felt better than before. There are some aftermarket parts on it. I think it has an aftermarket intercooler with snabb hoses. I have to double check, but I think the pre-turbo intake is stock. It has a K&N air filter. MAF was cleaned and all clamps/connections double checked. Is it possible that the difference in sound I'm hearing is just the turbo/system running at full boost?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you have been experiencing your first cold weather of the season you may have also sprung an exhaust leak. One cold Florida day I started hearing more turbo noise, especially when cold, it ended up being a leak had sprung in my turbo to downpipe gasket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have been experiencing your first cold weather of the season you may have also sprung an exhaust leak. One cold Florida day I started hearing more turbo noise, especially when cold, it ended up being a leak had sprung in my turbo to downpipe gasket.
Now I've got anxiety lol. That would be quite coincidental timing given I hadn't noticed anything right before doing the PCV system. I live in southern Arizona and it's only been getting down into lower 50s this week. It got down to 30s a week or two ago and car ran fine. I'll double back on what I worked on last night, check all the lines and reset the v-clamp and see what happens from there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: When I finished the PCV project, it was at the end of a long and tiring day 2 and I messed up putting the V-Clamp on the CAP to turbo. The O-ring was not set correctly and thus keeping the CAP to fully insert into the female receiver on the turbo, and the clamp wouldnt create the seal. Re-set the o-ring, clamped it properly and it's good to go. boost leak is gone and the car runs amazingly. 50 miles later and I'm averaging 22 mpg in the city as opposed to the 14.5 I was getting before the PCV replacement. She's at 100% for the first time since I've had her :D

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I did the same thing when I replaced my ETM except I put the vband on wrong... Only thing holding the hose onto the turbo was the OTE bolt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear it was just the v-clamp instead of some other more painful issue, so congrats!
Thanks Stealthy! Was very excited myself. As an only somewhat experienced DIY mechanic, pretty damn proud of myself for undertaking the PCV replacement job and getting it right the first time outside of a silly mistake. No leaks of any kind and I now have crankcase ventilation. Finally get to experience her in all her glory.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the same thing when I replaced my ETM except I put the vband on wrong... Only thing holding the hose onto the turbo was the OTE bolt.
Pretty much what I did lol. The CAP flange was about 1/2 an inch from being flush with the turbo flange. I put the clamp over the CAP flange, but not over the turbo flange. Nothing else holding it to the turbo AND the O-ring was out of place, causing a noisy boost leak that somehow didn't throw codes. Eh its all fixed now, I'm happy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OEM works well, it's already a CAI. The R-Kelly mod is a nice way of inducing more air. I'm going to be installing the Elevate AMS as soon as it arrives and I can let you know how it goes but I'm sure there are write-ups on here about it.
Elevate AMS
(https://www.elevatecars.com/store/v...vo-s60r-air-management-system-air-intake.html)
IPD - R Kelly Mod
(http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5679/113179-r-model-intake-kit)

Other people have created all sorts of custom intakes as well, so if you search around on here you'll find a bunch of options.

The K&N filter is oiled, as you probably know, and the oil residue will mess up your MAF. Eventually it can start to throw codes. I also found that the connection to the MAF is poor; that hose with the two clamps doesn't last too long. I think I had mine on for about 15,000 miles or maybe a bit more, and the plastic bit of the filter warped. I can upload a picture if you'd like.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Check the 3" CAI mod linked in my sig below of how I did my own R-Kelly mod with stuff I picked up from the auto parts store. The genuine R-Kelly mod is tiny by comparison so there is a lot more flow and wonderful noises via my particular solution.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check the 3" CAI mod linked in my sig below of how I did my own R-Kelly mod with stuff I picked up from the auto parts store. The genuine R-Kelly mod is tiny by comparison so there is a lot more flow and wonderful noises via my particular solution.
That's the custom one I was thinking of

1 - 20 of 29 Posts