SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oddly, the rear hatch on my V70R has become very hard to get it to latch closed in cold temps, requiring multiple closings before it will latch shut. Lately, when latched and with the alarm set,the alarm goes off many hours later. So now I park the car in my drive way, lock it, and unlock just the drivers door so the alarm is off. I come out later to a fully locked car with the alarm set????
So what do you think, start by replacing the latch in the rear hatch?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My 07 locks itself alot. don't know if its haunted or what lol. i wont touch the key and i can hear it lock and ill see the lights flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I believe it was a software option. One of my R's does the same thing if it doesn't sense the key around the car for 2 minutes it locks itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine will re-lock itself if I hit the unlock button on the remote but then don't open any of the doors or trunk for a certain period of time. It's a built in safety feature in case the unlock button is hit accidentally without you knowing it, so your car won't be sitting there unsecured.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Its a software option, my old 04 R would do it automatically if I left it unlocked or as soon as I would start to drive the entire car would lock. My current 05 doesn't have the software because I could leave it unlocked all day and when I drive the locks remain unlocked. I liked haveing that software option

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine will re-lock itself if I hit the unlock button on the remote but then don't open any of the doors or trunk for a certain period of time. It's a built in safety feature in case the unlock button is hit accidentally without you knowing it, so your car won't be sitting there unsecured.
Mine does this too. To answer OP's question, it's just the way the system is programmed. Probably possible to change it but I haven't looked into it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
From the manual:

Automatic relocking
If none of the doors or the boot lid is opened
within two minutes of unlocking, all are
locked again automatically. This function
prevents the car from being left unlocked unintentionally.
For cars with alarms, see
page 104.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Its a software option, my old 04 R would do it automatically if I left it unlocked or as soon as I would start to drive the entire car would lock. My current 05 doesn't have the software because I could leave it unlocked all day and when I drive the locks remain unlocked. I liked haveing that software option

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I believe there is a way to make your doors lock. on my moms xc90 there was a procedure to make your doors lock when you start driving. you have to push some buttons with the key in POS 2 or something like that.. On my SR it locks as i drive aswell.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My R does it to but only if I lock it and (i swear) fail to start the car, itll relock itself. I just leave it unlocked and I have my alarm removed. I dont keep valuables in the car and I live in a pretty trusty area.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Oddly, the rear hatch on my V70R has become very hard to get it to latch closed in cold temps, requiring multiple closings before it will latch shut. Lately, when latched and with the alarm set,the alarm goes off many hours later. So now I park the car in my drive way, lock it, and unlock just the drivers door so the alarm is off. I come out later to a fully locked car with the alarm set????
So what do you think, start by replacing the latch in the rear hatch?
Thanks
To prevent the alarm resetting, open and close the door after you unlock it.

For the trunk latch, have you tried lubricating it? Spray some lithium grease in there and open/close it multiple times. Also see if any of the screws are loose on either the tailgate or the body latch mechanisms. If those don't fix it, then yeah maybe something is broken.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To prevent the alarm resetting, open and close the door after you unlock it.

For the trunk latch, have you tried lubricating it? Spray some lithium grease in there and open/close it multiple times. Also see if any of the screws are loose on either the tailgate or the body latch mechanisms. If those don't fix it, then yeah maybe something is broken.
The trunk latch was worn out and not closing correctly (even though it was latched closed) which would cause the alarm to go off. Had it replaced for $300 and so far, all is back to normal.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Was this a rare software option? Because the Volvo dealer where I had my second key made didn't believe me when I told them it would lock itself if left unlocked and unattended for X amount of time. They seemed to have no knowledge and said the PO must have had some aftermarket options added :confused:

I had a second key made because when I discovered this "feature" I was working on the car when the car locked itself. Luckily my keys were on the roof and not inside. I could foresee in the future eventually it would happen where I leave the keys on the seat while working on the car and the car locks on its own so I purchased a spare key.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine locks itself. I thought it was ghosts as well. 2spooky4me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts