SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my lightly used OEM Continental ContiPro tires taken off my Volvo V60 so I could replace them with summer tires. Sold them on Craigslist yesterday and got a text today from the buyer with pics of three of them with sidewall bulges.

Could that kind of damage occur when mounting or dismounting the tires? If so, is it more likely when they are being put on or taken off the rims? And would that damage be visible when the tires are not mounted on rims?

The tires have only 8k miles on them and had no visible damage when they were removed, but don't want to sell bad merchandise.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yes, especially with the Conti's. We had one bubble when mounting them after removing our snow tires. My wife and I joke that the Conti's bubble if you breathe on them too hard. I wouldnt take them back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on where you are but take the pics to a mainline tire dealer and ask. Without a clear picture its's hard to tell.

Anything is possible, but if you mount a tire, the bead and the rime are in danger but REALLY hard to bubble a tire from mount/unmounts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on where you are but take the pics to a mainline tire dealer and ask. Without a clear picture its's hard to tell.

Anything is possible, but if you mount a tire, the bead and the rime are in danger but REALLY hard to bubble a tire from mount/unmounts.
Would post pics but am on my phone & it's hard to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bubbles on the sidewalls (raised bubbles that are soft to the touch and about 1-1/2 inch long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide are from tire bonding failure . anyone, including the Volvo guy should be able to sort this out.

If there bubbles in lightly used CONTI's I'd consider a warranty claim.

If someone that was mounting the tires pushed the bead breaker into the side wall it would be something different. and look terrible.

There are on almost every tire small radial depressions that are when the belts fuse to the tire and the rubber shows a little "gap"

This would be straight out from the hub and 1/8 to 1/16 wide and "most" of the sidewall out to the tread. usually goes unnoticed.
Contis are usually pretty good to have minimal belt gap. Many Michelins are noticeable. Just depends on the tire

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I had a similar issue after having some Conti's mounted by a small
shop (many years ago). I don't think they handled many tires.
Three tires bubbled, all on the inside surface, each with two or three
bubbles. The fact they were all on the same side and so many
tires failed lead me to conclude they were damaged at install.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Can happen and it's the primary reason why a lot of retailer suggest against multiple mounting/unmounting and often the invoice you sign acknowledge that they're not at fault for damages from those procedures.

You might get lucky with a warranty claim.

Primary reason I've always had separate winter and summer rims. No need to mount/remount every year risking damage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got home last night, so can now actually type on a proper computer (instead of my phone) and upload the pics the buyer sent:

Just perplexed how this could have happened. They were fine when I dismounted them (unless the bubbles were on the inside of the rims -- but the mechanic didn't say anything to me). They looked fine when I sold them, but I don't know if that kind of damage is visible when the tires are dismounted and uninflated. And the timing is such that I doubt the buyer mounted and drove them (he bought them late Friday morning and was clearly on his way to work -- he was wearing a company shirt and had a bunch of cabinets in the back of his truck -- and he contacted me Saturday morning).

I'm a scrupulously honest person, so if they were damaged when I sold them I plan to refund the money. But I have no idea when or where the damage took place.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Are you sure they're the exact same tires - i.e., same DOT date, serial number, etc.? Can't tell you how many people have tried to pull that stuff when buying from me on eBay/CL/etc - they have a bad item, buy mine, return bad item saying it's my fault.

Alternatively, you can take the position that you are not responsible for any damage or defect after they left your possession, as he had full right to refuse to purchase - for all you know, his load of cabinets shifted and crushed the tires on the ride home.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Are you sure they're the exact same tires - i.e., same DOT date, serial number, etc.? Can't tell you how many people have tried to pull that stuff when buying from me on eBay/CL/etc - they have a bad item, buy mine, return bad item saying it's my fault.

Alternatively, you can take the position that you are not responsible for any damage or defect after they left your possession, as he had full right to refuse to purchase - for all you know, his load of cabinets shifted and crushed the tires on the ride home.
I agree. You can check the manufacture date on the tire. It should be real close to when the car was made. Its usually in an oval in the following format: 2413, which is week 24 of 2013. Also the rims look really damaged, I think this guy is scamming you.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Believe me, I'm all for good customer service and I miss things once in a while too. But ^^ this is also a good observation. Those wheels look beat to hell. Do you have pictures from when you listed them for sale online?

Caveat Emptor on Craigslist.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Believe me, I'm all for good customer service and I miss things once in a while too. But ^^ this is also a good observation. Those wheels look beat to hell. Do you have pictures from when you listed them for sale online?

Caveat Emptor on Craigslist.
Even digital pics of the car when you got it should suffice. You may be able to read the codes. Digital cameras have amazing resolution nowadays.

Ask him to see the pics on his phone or camera. Maybe a timestamp is there.

Also IIRC, my Contis were made in Italy. Check that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts