SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dislike how big the flip key is for my car. Is it possible to have the older style separate key and fob with my 04 SR? I wanted another spare anyway so I'm planning to spend the money on another key one way or the other.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Since you can go the other way -- to a switchblade I assume just need to get a valet key and fob to go backwards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I do want a master key rather than a valet key but I guess that should be doable. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
use a non-flip key and remote for a 2003 XC90. If I remember correctly the key blank you want is volvo #9203132, and it's not a valet key. Ask a dealer, they can tell you for sure.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes. You can go the other way. The guts in a flip key fob and the old triangle style key fob are interchangible. You can get a new key from Volvo and have it cut to match your car but you will need it programmed, or you can carefully cut the transponder out of the existing key, put it in a single key that has the opening for the transponder, and have the key to fit your car. This way you don't need programming. I cut my own keys and have gone from flip keys to non-flip keys and vice versa. I like the Volvo fob cases so I just get a used case from auto recycler or on eBay or something and swap the guts out. Done this for years without issue.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You all are interchangeable

·
Registered
77 Posts
Internals of 4 MY and 3 MY keys are the same.
The only difference is case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts