SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the cabin air filter for the first time (by myself).<p>I did not know there was more than 1 type of cabin air filter for my car, and I ordered the wrong one. I got a Mann non-carbon activated. The old one is a Volvo carbon activated.<p>Can I use the Mann, or would that be a bad thing to do?<p>Car is a 99 S70GLT with automatic climate control.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Re: Can I use a non-carbon activated cabin air filter? (bw77)

Why not? It's just a filter. You could run without any filter at all, if you wish.<br>It sounds like you got a paper filter. No biggie. Just a personal preference.<br>The only difference is that the carbon type filters smaller particles.<br>

·
Registered
168 Posts
The carbon ones may help with odors from the outside more than a normal filter, but the difference isn't huge and often the price difference isn't worth it. You should be fine with what you're getting.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
And also don't worry b/c your car came with the standard Mann (original supplier of these filters to the factory) paper filter. The carbon filter is/was available from the dealer as an option each time you change the filter. I think most of us use the plain one. Sometimes I throw in a carbon filter during the spring/summer months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts