SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I tint my winshield?

I've seen couple of cars in the past with winshield tint. Does anyone have experience with it? I drive with sun on my face twice a day.

don't give me a hard time on this subject

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (stevectsai)

You can, just like any piece of glass. However, in my state it is highly illegal and you will get pulled for it almost immediately. Not worth the hassle (at least for me here in Michigan) IMHO.

·
Registered
824 Posts

If you mean your entire front, no, at least not legally. Yes it looks great on TV commercials and I know a guy with a Imola Red M3 who did his in limo black tint...looks incredible.
Finding a shop that will do it is also a problem. Unless your in law-enforcement forget it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (ForceReconTrojan)

Quote, originally posted by ForceReconTrojan »
If you mean your entire front, no, at least not legally. Yes it looks great on TV commercials and I know a guy with a Imola Red M3 who did his in limo black tint...looks incredible.
Finding a shop that will do it is also a problem. Unless your in law-enforcement forget it.

true, I think there's a 8 inch(?) restriction starting from the top, but it doesn't help because you're a moving target. Sunvisor is dangerous as your viewing distance is very limited, not to mention constant twicking..

So my thought about getting a winshield tint is to get a very light tint, almost invisible, but blocks harmful sunlight... but that's a lot to ask for I suppose.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »
I've seen couple of cars in the past with winshield tint. Does anyone have experience with it? I drive with sun on my face twice a day.

don't give me a hard time on this subject
In California the answer is NO.

To put it in perspective a co-worker of mine was hit by an EVO who had his front windshield tinted. The police wrote the guy a ticket for the accident and having his windshield illegally tinted.

The driver of the EVO's insurance company denied paying for his car as well as my friend's because of the "illegal modification". At the end of the day my friend had to claim his car on his own insurance.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (robert_in_ca)

Quote, originally posted by robert_in_ca »
In California the answer is NO.
To put it in perspective a co-worker of mine was hit by an EVO who had his front windshield tinted. The police wrote the guy a ticket for the accident and having his windshield illegally tinted.
The driver of the EVO's insurance company denied paying for his car as well as my friend's because of the "illegal modification". At the end of the day my friend had to claim his car on his own insurance.
you mean your friend have to file a claim from his insurance? the accident is his fault? I guess I don't understand why your friend claim out of his insurance when the EVO had the tint.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »

you mean your friend have to file a claim from his insurance? the accident is his fault? I guess I don't understand why your friend claim out of his insurance when the EVO had the tint.
Yes my friend had to file a claim on his own ins. No the accident was not he fault.

My friend's claim was done under his uninsured portion of his policy as the EVO's insurance company would not payout to either party.

At the end of the day my friend let had his own insurance pay for his car. His own ins. company later refunded his deductible. My friend's insurance did not go up as it was not his fault.

Also I think my friend's ins. company went after the other insurance company.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

You can probably get a very, very slight "clear" tint like Huper Optik "Klar" 85: http://www.huperoptik.com/ClearCompare.asp which would cut down the heat & "some" of the light, and then get a good pair of polarized glasses for your drive in the sun.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (robert_in_ca)

i've seen a car with the windshield tinted...it does look good. i wonder if it hurts visibility though....

hey, tint the windshield, tint the headlights..... wear sunglasses..... then get in wreck and wonder WHY???

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
mine was tinted with a slight fade from the factory. I had the sides done to 15% and the factory spot on the windhield blends perfect with it.
ALmost any new car has tinted glass from the factory.
It must be 25 years since that was an option.
Tinting front glass is illegal in all states (except those top 8" or so)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (Kirb)

I wear fake Oakley's I bought in Mexico! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a joke, I have real Oakley's! The fake ones I use for mountain biking just in case it gets scratched.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Check with your state. Each state is different. I only know of Florida that allows it right now....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (bouncer)

Quote, originally posted by bouncer »
I wear fake Oakley's I bought in Mexico! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a joke, I have real Oakley's! The fake ones I use for mountain biking just in case it gets scratched.

I'm not as cheap as you, at least I spend couple more US$ and got my imitations at Hong Kong open-air market and it even has "UV" protection on it.

there IS such thing as "high-end" imitation.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: Can I tint my winshield? (obsessed1)

Quote, originally posted by obsessed1 »

I should have never stubbled onto this thread and seen that. Man that looks good!

·
Registered
411 Posts

In TX it is illegal to tint the front windshield. You are allowed to tint only the top (eyebrow) down to the AS1 line on the glass.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts