SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 and 2000 P80 XC blocks and I'm wondering if I can sleeve one and swap an R crank, heads, pistons, rods, oil pan turbo etc... Or do I need to find a trashed B5254T4 and sleeve that? I'm wondering because I want to have an engine I can drop in someday and if I can reuse a block I have sleeves are much more attractive from a cost standpoint than buying a ~100k mile R engine for $1-1.5k. (I mean it won't be cheaper because it'll have new rods, pistons etc but I can dream). Will the single to dual VVT matter even though that's head dependent?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
This is a question for the dougy.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
In short, yes.

There are some small differences, such as the PCV. However, if you want you can bolt up an R head to it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's identical. As long as the front bracket that holds on the AC compressor, alternator, and PS Pump are the same (thermostat is different, and that's OK) then you're good. You would just need the PCV oil trap and short hose that attaches to the block that go with the block. The rest of the PCV (the part that goes from the thermostat, to the intake mani, to the intake hose by the turbo) you can leave the same as on the R. The timing belts are the same on ALL of the 2nd gen 5 cyl whiteblocks when they started using CVVT

ONE MORE THING. is that certain castings of the older blocks is that it had a weird bit on the bottom near the angle gear that you may need to grind a little, but I think that was only an issue going from FWD to AWD (if you were swapping the motor)

Also, you'd need the oil pan from the R seeing as it has the oil sensor.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I kinda figured the base block was identical but at the moment I can't bolt on an R head and see if it fits because the only R head I have is in use. And they are both AWD blocks so that gets rid of the casting issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts