SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked the tip of 3 of the 5 injectors when I removed the rail for PCV servicing. I’m inclined to put them back in and see if I experience any issues...thoughts?

Man that rail was in there right. I really should have left it well alone!!!

https://youtu.be/PwWsxIcHz7c

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not an expert working on the fuel system but here is my recent experience.

I also had problems with this when I overhauled my injectors two weekends ago. Fuel rail was hard to remove and then I saw that one o-ring was still in the manifold. I got the o-ring out but then only half of the washer.

Your injectors themselves are fine. It is the injector manifold o-ring washer that is cracked. We have 'washers' on our injectors where some have 'pintle caps'. As there is no projecting pintle out of the end of the injector, there is no need for a cap, but the washer is there to help insure the o-ring stays in place on the injector, and comes out when the injector is removed.

My concern is that your first washer (near the timing belt) has other cracks in addition to the split. Almost certainly it will break into pieces and some of the pieces will fall into the manifold - like mine did. I suspect that it falls into the front of the manifold and stays there. It may burn up, but will probably do less harm if it moves further into the engine than the horrible PCV banjo bolt metal ball bearing.

Perhaps you can omit the washer - this may be a very bad idea. There is a chance the o-ring could then move due to pressure changes in the manifold, and this risks the o-ring failing and then leakage of gas with the possibility of an engine fire. So this must be addressed promptly. Ebay has kits with o-rings and washers. I got a kit like the one below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-INJEC...:Volvo&hash=item28210f5f67:g:bp4AAOSwHEhaAdUx

I think if you need to use the car, then reinstall the fuel rail, but order replacement o-rings and washers ASAP. The washers seem harder to find (and they are still typically referred to as pintle caps).

By the way, I tried to replace the injector microfilter, using a screw to pull on it, but just damaged the installed filter. I put that injector back in the car, and quickly got a replacement injector as I was concerned my damage might jam the injector open or closed. Not very happy about that either.

Also, it is recommended to use a lubricant on both o-rings on an injector. I used SuperLube PTFE grease. Trev who does fuel injector cleaning professionally uses it too (he says Vaseline and oil also work and has posted over 21,000 times on the Oil forum):
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3488824/2

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am no expert on this also.But my guess is they should be ok to re-use because the washers have to bottom out in the rail and there is no place for a tiny piece of plastic to get by.I don't think I would even replace the O rings because you risk breaking off the tips of the injectors when getting them off and putting on.Put them in and see if it leaks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am no expert on this also.But my guess is they should be ok to re-use because the washers have to bottom out in the rail and there is no place for a tiny piece of plastic to get by.I don't think I would even replace the O rings because you risk breaking off the tips of the injectors when getting them off and putting on.Put them in and see if it leaks.
Yep, that’s what I ended up doing. That didn’t go smoothly either with the two leftmost injectors refusing to seat in completely. I put the rail on anyway and verified that no leaks are present. All seems well. Am planning to take the two 10mm screws back out after I give the car a nice long ride to see if the heat, etc will help get them in just that little bit further.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 4 of 4 Posts