SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting one more time... in correct forum.<p>I just picked up a very gingerly used 2008 XC70 and would like to integrate satellite radio and Ipod capability into the factory system. I've discussed this with two dealers. Not only can they not agree on whether it can be done, but neither one sounds terribly sure about what they're telling me. <p>So first of all - can I install sirius on this thing? I've read that the only thing the Sirius-prep adds is a DIN cable that runs from the HU to the trunk? So I'd obviously need to run that cable and add a tuner. How about an antenna? Is satellite already integrated into the shark fin?<p>Next - I've read that there is some super-secret connector hidden somewhere under the arm rest and you can purchase a $50 cable which you would plug into said connector and this allows full control of Ipod including use of steering wheel controls as well as charging. But, I've also seen multi-hundred $ kits which are named "Ipod/USB adaptors". Is the extra expense just to add functionality of a USB flash drive?<p>Finally, if I am in fact able to install both of the above independently, can I install them together? And how does this work? Does the "mode" button (I think it's a "mode" button if I recall correctly) toggle through these two inputs along with the stock jack in the armrest?<p>Thanks in advance for your help - you guys seem to know your stuff...<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by MoeMan at 12:33 PM 6-5-2009</i>

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Can I integrate Sirius into factory radio on 2008 XC70?? (MoeMan)

If the car has the Sirius pre-wire kit, you can install the Sirius module.<br>If it doesn't, you cannot.<br>Also, software is required,that can only come from the dealer.<p>There is an Ipod adaptor available that will work with the steering wheel controls. It's a little more involved than just a $50.00 cable.<br>You may as well just let your dealer do the work, you won't save much doing it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can I integrate Sirius into factory radio on 2008 XC70?? (VolvoMax)

So would I just need to install the wires that are part of the factory kit? How hard can it be? It's not like trying to run a Windows program on a Mac. Oh wait, they figured out how to do that...

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Can I integrate Sirius into factory radio on 2008 XC70?? (MoeMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MoeMan</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So would I just need to install the wires that are part of the factory kit? How hard can it be? It's not like trying to run a Windows program on a Mac. Oh wait, they figured out how to do that...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Take part of the dash apart and install the module. Take the back apart and install the antenna. then come back to the dealership and get the software installed.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: Can I integrate Sirius into factory radio on 2008 XC70?? (VolvoMax)

If the car came with Sat prep from the factory all you need to do is purchase the sirius receiver kit from Volvo. It's about $350 or so. It is plug and play after you install the receiver in the rear side panel. The kit comes with an antennae that you will run from the receiver out and up over the back end of the car. Shark fin is not equipped with antennae. Once you do all of this you call Sirius and activate. Most kits come with 6 months free (if it is a volvo kit). There is no software download necesary. I did the complete install in an hour or so on our 06 S60 with prep. If no prep you have to do this a different way. All of the very detailed instructions come with the kit. Don't know anything about the Ipod thing.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Can I integrate Sirius into factory radio on 2008 XC70?? (comp1)

06 S60 had a different system. If there is no Sat Prep in an EUCD car,Sat radio cannot be installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts