SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mexico and have a 2006 V50 wagon that was made in Belgium with only 60,000km on it. Since its probably the best car I have ever owned I want to take it with me when I move to California next year. I've had a pretty hard time finding good information on-line about whether its even possible, but if anyone has any helpful hints, they would be highly appreciated! Regards, Jeff.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
All the P1 Volvos were built in Belgium. But I'm not sure if a car intended for Mexican sale would meet up to the full safety requirements of a car intended for US sale.

As far as I know, it is possible to import just about any car from just about any country. But you will need to pay import taxes and have the car inspected and registered for US roads. You would probably need the speedometer changed to miles and have that reprogrammed...

Where in CA are you planning to move? I would suggest looking up the local department of transportation or even tax commissioner in the county of your new residence, give them a call to see what you would need to do.

Honestly, for what you may have to pay to make the car "road legal" in the US, it would probably be cheaper to sell the car in Mexico and buy another V50 in the states. I know that's painful to sell your favorite car, but it may not be the most logical. Though, when has automotive love ever been logical?

·
Registered
120 Posts
There may even be ECM programming and some minor hardware differences for a CA car depending on the region you intend to reside in.

A copy of Vida without the Dice hardware can be downloaded for free these days. PM me if you can't find it or need help. It may contain some CA specific information regarding your V50's build.

Best off as suggested above first contact the authorities in that region to discuss the proposal.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Bring over a focus RS not worth the trouble bringing something that is also available in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Keep it registered in Mexico.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts