SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s very interesting.
My car it’s a MY2018 model and when I purchased it, part of the Climate Package there was available only “Heated Washer Nozzles”

Whereas now the Canadian web site is listing for the same MY18 car configuration, part of the same Climate Package the Heated Wiper Blades (same as for the new XC60 SPA).

Being the same MY18 and since here in Canada the winters are hard, long and I commute almost 2 hours daily, I am wondering if I can convert my car from heated Washer Nozzles to Heated Wiper Blades? Or have both?!

I have the blade configuration that release the windshield washer through them when washing the windshield.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I believe it shouldn’t be impossible since during the same MY they’ve changed the design.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
819 Posts
When is the build date of your 2018? Mine was built in November 2017 and when I configured it on the website in October, the spec sheet said heated washer blades. I saved the configuration as a PDF and just confirmed it.

I wonder if the difference is only in the description and not in the hardware. Since you say that your washer fluid comes out all along the blade, if those nozzles are heated, wouldn't that mean that the blade is heated?

·
0 Posts
You could go aftermarket and add heated wiper blades. Thermalblade makes a great setup for a good price. Works off of a microprocessor controlled thermostat that sits behind the grill.

https://www.thermalblade.com/home.php?cat=11

PM me if interested, I can probably get you set up with something that'll work out well. We carry thermalblade at the shop and I can offer a small discount 👍

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When is the build date of your 2018? Mine was built in November 2017 and when I configured it on the website in October, the spec sheet said heated washer blades. I saved the configuration as a PDF and just confirmed it.

I wonder if the difference is only in the description and not in the hardware. Since you say that your washer fluid comes out all along the blade, if those nozzles are heated, wouldn't that mean that the blade is heated?
My car was built late October, 2017.

I belive you are right since my heated washer nozzels are in fact on the blades itself it should be a heated wiper blade, as it’s now advertised?!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My take on this is that given the opportunity a heated windscreen is the preferred way to go. Otherwise you are heating up a relatively low mass item and then applying it to a large mass windscreen. If the windscreen is covered with ice, I cannot imagine that heating a rubber squeegee will have any effect. Better to have heated water come through the jets of the wiper. Having lived all my life in California I am ill equipped to throw stones at your idea. Don't they have covers that can be placed over the windscreen at night? Even with cars that don't have heated windscreens running the defroster should slowly heat up the window. I once did some business in North Dakota during the winter. It was really cold. The only thing that worked was running the car with everything on. The wipers were frozen in place and once free only skated over the iced windshield. Are you thinking about when you are driving on the roads or is it mostly just starting off? I would opt for heating up the water before I start running wires with an aftermarket device. I am not just raining on your parade, but interested in what you do. Keep us informed. Note, I went to the Canadian Volvo website and noted that they are still offering 2018s rather than the 2019 (probably not a big deal as they come from the same factory?) Anyway I did not see a heated windscreen as well as no mention of heated headlight washer. They just say high pressure headlight washer and not heated high pressure washer. I did see where they offer heated windscreen wiper but sort of suggest the fluid is heated rather than the wiper itself?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Where do you look to see if about having heated nozzles and/or blades? I have a Feb 2017 build which was a Jan 2017 OSD order we put in but I don’t see it in the OSD order list for 2017 listed. What I was wondering concerning the heated nozzle/blade discussion was whether it’s as on Volvos past where it heated by strategically less/removed insulation from engine heat. As in passive/radiant heating rather than active/resistive heating. Our 2010 XC90 has heated nozzles which are heated by the engine’s radiant heat, as was our old V40 which also had heated nozzles listed as standard.

I found where it was listed in our order spec under Climate Package - but how can you tell what its design is like? I don't have our T8 handy to inspect, and given that the nozzles are integrated into the blade arm and they tuck under the trailing edge of the bonnet, are they heated by channeled warm air from the engine, or is it a in the windshield via a wiper defroster? On older models it was cut out of insulation under the nozzles attached to the bonnet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I couldn't find anything on the volvo website regarding anything about the heated wiper nozzles or the heated wipers for the XC90. It wasn't even listed on the standard list of items. I'll admit I wasn't looking THAT hard, but I specifically went to Volvo's website to look for information on the heated wipers but came away empty handed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find anything on the volvo website regarding anything about the heated wiper nozzles or the heated wipers for the XC90. It wasn't even listed on the standard list of items. I'll admit I wasn't looking THAT hard, but I specifically went to Volvo's website to look for information on the heated wipers but came away empty handed.
It is under the Climate Package!
You need to purchase this package.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
819 Posts
If the windscreen is covered with ice, I cannot imagine that heating a rubber squeegee will have any effect.
Heated washer nozzles/blades aren't for removing ice on a windshield. It's time consuming and uses up a lot of fluid. It's much better to use an ice scraper before driving off. The heated washer fluid helps remove bugs in the summer time and in the winter, it can make sure that the nozzles don't get clogged with ice.

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Heated washer nozzles/blades aren't for removing ice on a windshield. It's time consuming and uses up a lot of fluid. It's much better to use an ice scraper before driving off. The heated washer fluid helps remove bugs in the summer time and in the winter, it can make sure that the nozzles don't get clogged with ice.
I looked today to my 2018 XC90.
Mine came, part of Climate Package, with heated washer nozzles. See below picture with the Nozzles on the wiper blade arm. Two located at the top and another two at the bottom of the arm.
I could not locate any wire that goes to the nozzle for heating, only the fluid line.

Are these Nozzles heated indirectly through heated windshield washer fluid ?
Or they are actually heated by a resistance?

Interested to see if someone can post a picture with his blade from his 2018-19 XC60 which had listed “heated wiper blades “!!

Are the nozzles mounted on the wiper blade arm or there is a different design with nozzles (holes) into the actual blade ?

... and were you able to locate any wire for heating the blade ... or it’s indirectly through heated windshield washer fluid?!!

New edition of the post: I was able to take some pictures of an SPA XC60 blade - totally different design , you can see the wires and fluid line running through the blade

IMG_9776.JPG
IMG_9777.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I’ve look at a my19 XC90 and the front wipers are the same as My18 XC90. The MY18 and MY19 XC60 wipers thought are different with nozzles made into the blade and heated. I am not sure that these nozzles are reliable as they can get clogged very easily. I might be wrong!

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts