SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked everywhere cant determine if the 2005 has an auto passenger bag cutoff or not. There are no indicators ( like my other car) whether that bag is activated or not. Thinking of buying 5 seater and this is crucial

·
Registered
668 Posts
The simple, legal, answer is NO! Here is the section of the owners manual that applies. http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_XC90/05xc90_01a.htm#pg4 Also, you are misinformed re: the lack of indicator which indicates when the passenger air bag is "deactivated." Sorry if the above seems harsh, but when it comes to safety and your children it is important to do what is safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The particular XC90 i am looking at has no indication above the rearview mirror which is why I was asking if that sensor is standard or not. Perhaps the sensor or the mirror need repair.

There is no legal requirement for a 9 year old to be in the backseat. If the sensor is there the airbag won't go off if the child is not heavy enough, simple as that.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The particular XC90 i am looking at has no indication above the rearview mirror which is why I was asking if that sensor is standard or not. Perhaps the sensor or the mirror need repair.

There is no legal requirement for a 9 year old to be in the backseat. If the sensor is there the airbag won't go off if the child is not heavy enough, simple as that.
The owners manual for 2005 says that there IS an occupant weight sensor
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_XC90/05xc90_01a.htm
(second half of "page 6 Safety", and all of "page 7")

It looks like it would fail if used with a booster seat though, page 8

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The owners manual for 2005 says that there IS an occupant weight sensor
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_XC90/05xc90_01a.htm
(second half of "page 6 Safety", and all of "page 7")

It looks like it would fail if used with a booster seat though, page 8
The Occupant Weight Sensor deactivates the airbag if the person sitting there is under 40 lbs, if I remember the weight right. Volvo recommends a little person not ride there, but it's not prohibited by law, in Colorado at least, nor is it given forbidden status in the Volvo manual.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
OK, I read your manual. It seems to say that if the total weight of the car seat and the passenger is less than 65 lbs, you'll get an OWS indicator light and the airbag WILL be disabled. So I'd make sure I saw that indicator light before driving off. (plus it says you won't get that light if total weight is under 15 lbs.) My daughter and I had this discussion a couple of years ago, and decided it would be ok if we had to do so in my XC90 with a car full of kids. Her 2004 XC70 doesn't have an OWS sensor, so a right front seat ride is prohibited for a "little person".

·
Registered
668 Posts
According to the manual the safest place for a child is in the backseat. Please see pg 19 of the manual which discusses child safety. The manual I pointed you to is the Manual for a 2005 XC90 posted on the Volvo NA website. If the system was optional the manual would have stated as such, usually with an asterisk next to the title. I have no intention of allowing my children to sit in the front of a vehicle until they are 14, and only then so that they can watch me operate a vehicle before they take the wheel. Then again my 2.5 year old son is still rear facing in his seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes it just for the occasional ride with a car full of kids. I see the sensor will go on only if a child under a certain weight is sitting there. I thought it be on with nobody on the front. I'll have to test it with the kid to see if it lights up or not.

Most child fatals in car crashes are from lack of seatbelt use or improper car seat installation, not based on whether child is in front or back (assuming an airbag isnt going off that can of course injure them).

The XC90 weighs what, 5000 pounds? I think a properly belted kid with an ows sensor in front is pretty darn safe.

OK, I read your manual. It seems to say that if the total weight of the car seat and the passenger is less than 65 lbs, you'll get an OWS indicator light and the airbag WILL be disabled. So I'd make sure I saw that indicator light before driving off. (plus it says you won't get that light if total weight is under 15 lbs.) My daughter and I had this discussion a couple of years ago, and decided it would be ok if we had to do so in my XC90 with a car full of kids. Her 2004 XC70 doesn't have an OWS sensor, so a right front seat ride is prohibited for a "little person".

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yes it just for the occasional ride with a car full of kids. I see the sensor will go on only if a child under a certain weight is sitting there. I thought it be on with nobody on the front. I'll have to test it with the kid to see if it lights up or not.

Most child fatals in car crashes are from lack of seatbelt use or improper car seat installation, not based on whether child is in front or back (assuming an airbag isnt going off that can of course injure them).

The XC90 weighs what, 5000 pounds? I think a properly belted kid with an ows sensor in front is pretty darn safe.
The curb weight (empty weight but with all fluids, including full tank of gas) of my '06 2.5T AWD XC90 is 4,544lbs. Not a light vehicle. And with more boron steel than any car out there!

The chart I read says that under 15 lbs the OWS indicator light will not come on, but above 15 lbs and between 55 & 65 lbs (including car seat) you will get an OWS light, indicating the Airbag is deactivated. I WOULD make sure that light was on! Note the location of the indicator light--on the top part of the rear view mirror, and it will say PASS AIRBAG OFF. I know Volvo would rather you not do it, but I think it's safe if you had to--and it is legal in Colorado.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never. Period. An airbag deployments could kill a child. In an extreme accident the possibility of both bags deploying even with nobody in the seat can and does happen. I would for the fact of safety keep a child under the age of 14 in the back seat.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Volvo has released the third edition of its award-winning “Children and Cars Safety Manual,” in which it advises parents to keep children in rear-facing child seats until at least three years old, and using booster seats until 10 years old at least

and

Volvo cites data from its 40-year-old Volvo Cars Accident Data Base that found that children in Sweden involved in collisions had the lowest injury risk in rear-facing seats – even children with legs long enough not to be able to stretch out straight in such a seat.

source: GM

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/135214/documentfile

·
Registered
130 Posts
it varies by state/country. I believe some jurisdictions do have minimum age/weight for sitting in front seat. not saying what you should or shouldn't do. I let my 10 year old ride in front seat as it is ok in my state and she is almost 5' and above 65 lbs, except on long drives when we make her sit in back even if the passenger seat is empty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts