SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just joined after spending a while reading posts by other members. It looks like many members here are connecting to CAN with various tools such as DICE. I have a Scan Tool that I'd like to connect to the CAN busses that are accessible through the OBDII connector. I want to do this to read DTCs, read PIDs, etc.

My friend has a 2002 S60 (unfortunately not here with me) and some spare controllers from another junked 2002 S60. We have parts from the junked car:
  • OBDII diagnostic connector
  • CEM
  • Engine ECU
  • Transmission ECU.
I have wired these up according to the wiring diagrams, just the minimum to start communication.

Following some good posts here and here by rkam and others, I'm trying to start the communication on the HS-CAN bus (250kbit/sec). Here's what I have:

On K-Line
84 40 13 B2 F0 03 - Control Routine, connect diagnostic relay, Bus III
Then on CAN (OBDII, pins 6/14)
Tool --> Vehicle, CAN ID 000FFFFE, DLC 8, data CB7AB9F0

The message is sent by the Scan Tool, and should arrive at the Engine ECM through the CEM. There should be a multi-part response with the ECU ID. But I can't get a response on the CAN bus. I thought that this little CAN bus I wired together might be missing one or more bus terminators, so I added a 120 ohm resistor. But still there is no response to the ECU ID request.

Before I make this post any longer, can anyone offer any help?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Just received a PM from cpu concerning his interests in automotive scan tools and Volvo cars.

He is not promoting any product but intends to fully share any success gained in getting his electronic devices to "talk" to Volvos' brains.

George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hi,
I just joined after spending a while reading posts by other members. It looks like many members here are connecting to CAN with various tools such as DICE. I have a Scan Tool that I'd like to connect to the CAN busses that are accessible through the OBDII connector. I want to do this to read DTCs, read PIDs, etc.

My friend has a 2002 S60 (unfortunately not here with me) and some spare controllers from another junked 2002 S60. We have parts from the junked car:
  • OBDII diagnostic connector
  • CEM
  • Engine ECU
  • Transmission ECU.
I have wired these up according to the wiring diagrams, just the minimum to start communication.

Following some good posts here and here by rkam and others, I'm trying to start the communication on the HS-CAN bus (250kbit/sec). Here's what I have:

On K-Line

The message is sent by the Scan Tool, and should arrive at the Engine ECM through the CEM. There should be a multi-part response with the ECU ID. But I can't get a response on the CAN bus. I thought that this little CAN bus I wired together might be missing one or more bus terminators, so I added a 120 ohm resistor. But still there is no response to the ECU ID request.

Before I make this post any longer, can anyone offer any help?
If it ain't got twin carbs and rear drum brakes it ain't a Volvo but below are Swedespeed links which appear to address the no-communication issue quoted above. Also in these links are non-Swedespeed links to specific Volvo Cars NA downloads concerning OBD.

Enjoy.

George Dill

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...lyst-system-below-Efficiency-Threshold-(Bank1)

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?105737-RPM-signal-logic-level-or-other-for-MY06

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...stest-builds-brief-summary-of-three-suppliers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for these links. I checked them out. Still haven't found what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Page 5...

http://www.freescale.com/files/analog/doc/brochure/BR1569.pdf

From the www...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...You really need a shop with VADIS or VIDA (or an AutoLogic, but they're more common in Europe)...Communication to the HS CAN bus from the LS CAN bus is through the CDM, so if there's a problem with the it, you might not be able to speak to the HS CAN bus (ETM, ECM and TCM).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where's my SU wrench?

George Dill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CAN circuit in my hardware is good. It's tried and tested on many lines of cars. I just can't start the communication through the Volvo CEM - yet.

I'm sure the Diagnostic Relay is being closed. With the K-line command, it clicks, and CAN traffic between the modules appears on the OBDII connector. Without the keep-alive on the K-line, the relay de-energizes after a few seconds, and the CAN lines at the OBDII end go silent.

I think I must be close to getting this working, because my CAN request is getting the ACK in the ACK slot. This is visible on my oscilloscope with CAN decoder.
As I mentioned, I'm sending this request. It's correct as far as electrical levels, content, and data rate 250kbps:
CAN ID 000FFFFE, DLC 8, data CB7AB9F0
CB=Format/length, 7A=ECU address, B9=ReadDataBlockByOffset, F0=BlockData-ECU Id.

There is no response, only the continued periodic inter-module traffic.

Similar messages with the proper address of the Transmission ECU, or the CEM, receive no responses.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Old stuff - may be duplicate...

The SD card logging will log raw CAN data.
This can also be found in Vida/DiCE logs after doing a graph mode sequence.
You will anyway have to do some filtering and calculation of data after logging.

It might be possible to use the J2534Tst.exe found in some Vida versions (2008?) to setup some logging of a single value using the DiCE without Vida.

Typically the A6 command is used to read parameters.

Pressure sensor particle trap might be one of these:
A6 00 AE 01
A6 01 94 01
A6 01 99 01
A6 C9 0A 01

Response could possibly be direct hPa or X*0.082916 hPa

Example of reading Battery voltage on ME7

Request: A6100A01
---> 00,0F,FF,FE,CD,7A,A6,10,0A,01,00,00,
<--- 00,80,00,21,CD,7A,E6,10,0A,95,00,00,
Response: 'E6100A95'

000FFFFE is the typical CAN address for sending request commands on the 250k CAN bus.
CD is C8 + number of significant bytes to follow.
7A is the address of the ME7 ECU
A6 is the "Read Current Data By Identifier" command
10,0A is the Battery Voltage parameter
01 is probably "Send the record once"

00800021 is the CAN address for response
CD is C8 + number of significant bytes to follow.
7A is the address of the ME7 ECU
E6 is response to A6
10,0A is confirming the request parameter
95 is the return value

0x95=149
149*0.07=10.43Volt
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?171294-CANBUS-messages-index-available

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?138106-CANBUS-communication-Volvo-S80-ME7

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

George Dill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, those are relevant posts... I reviewed them and others before starting this thread. What rkam posted in those other posts is just what I'm trying to do.

I'm concerned now that there is some other subtle problem in the wiring or terminations. The CAN bus requires two terminations, I think, that are located in two controllers that I don't have. One of the power seat controllers might have one of the terminations. I re-created the car's missing wiring on my workbench, including a single 120 ohm termination.

It could be that the CEM or transmission "hears" and acks the request, but the Engine ECU does not hear it and thus does not reply.

The battery voltage and some other requests were unanswered the same way.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Some discussions are mentioning that unstable power supply (either from the vehicle's battery and/or powered scan tools/components) may be the cause of the "time out" as could the ignition key position.

Over my head.

George Dill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't have the REM and UEM modules. The modules I do have:

CEM - measured CAN terminals that are typically wired to the TCM - high Z
TCM - measured CAN terminals that are typically wired to the CEM - high Z
TCM - measured CAN terminals that are typically wired to the ECM - high Z
ECM - measured CAN terminals that are typically wired to the TCM - 120 ohms

When the little network is all connected, there would be 120 ohms termination resistannce "seen" by the bus.
So I added a discrete 120 ohm termination to the wiring.
Without both of these terminations, the waveforms are mis-shapen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just found similar info:
The terminating resistor for the high speed Controller area network (CAN) is positioned in the brake control module/ABS control module and in the engine control module (ECM) or electronic throttle module. The terminating resistor is in the engine control module, on models without an electronic throttle module.
I don't have the ABS module, so I used a resistor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying to start the communication on the HS-CAN bus (250kbit/sec). Here's what I have:

On K-Line
Hi cpu

Did you think that is possible to select different bus (for exam LS-CAN) via same interface init command ?

regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
the command on K-line 84 40 13 B2 F0 03 is used to select the communication bus. There are three busses that can be selected. My post above had an error. The bus selection field (last field in that message, "03" in this example) is bitmapped - bit 0 selects comm bus I, bit 1 selects bus II, and bit 2 selects bus III. The "03" enables comm on busses I and II.

Yes, you should be able to select LS-CAN, through the diagnostic relay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts