SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Community,

Looking for help with CAN frame interpretation into CAN-BUS. Need someone with P3 (2008-2012MY Volvo) and skill in sniffing CAN signal. As there is already quite a lot of retrofitted TFT cluster cars on the road, comes a need to gain back control of DSTC function. Therefor idea is to sniff CAN with old-style cluster for frames that are sent from SWM un to CEM about DSTC deactivation. If frames would be captured, then they can be scripted into MCU and replicated into CAN-Bus via the separate controller.
Nothing really hard to sniff if the right tools and software are used. Hope someone could help with frames and project in general, so the whole community could benefit from this. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i wish! im wondering if reflashing the new DIM's firmware to match old DIM's SN and other ID's would trick the CEM into thinking no mismatch and give us DSTC and other control back? another example, im missing oil level sensor readouts on my XC70. i verified it other day old DIM in key pos 2 before starting i could get oil level readout.. also unable to reset the SRI, cant change clock without Vdash and few other issues.. so wondering if falsifying SN and other IDs would unlock these things..

·
Registered
19 Posts
not an expert here: wanted to jump back in and say after more scanning and VIDA use on my XC70 with retrofitted TFT DIM, i found a place where it was complaining about DSTC its very well hidden. something like DSTC not working. clicking it and opening it it mentions something about missing a button or key which could indicate maybe a way to add it back via a physical button, maybe one on CCM?i have no idea how we would be able to modify or make our own CCM buttons to send a specific code if that is the path needed.

i will look into it again later today assuming my package arrived today and i go out there to retrofit BLIS to my car (or attempt to, missing BLIS button on my CCM so may not work, going to take 2 or so weeks to arrive) but if that arrived today im going to be back out there with my laptop and ill pull a screenshot of DSTC fault page as it is giving us a clue may serve us to add it back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
not an expert here: wanted to jump back in and say after more scanning and VIDA use on my XC70 with retrofitted TFT DIM, i found a place where it was complaining about DSTC its very well hidden. something like DSTC not working. clicking it and opening it it mentions something about missing a button or key which could indicate maybe a way to add it back via a physical button, maybe one on CCM?i have no idea how we would be able to modify or make our own CCM buttons to send a specific code if that is the path needed.

i will look into it again later today assuming my package arrived today and i go out there to retrofit BLIS to my car (or attempt to, missing BLIS button on my CCM so may not work, going to take 2 or so weeks to arrive) but if that arrived today im going to be back out there with my laptop and ill pull a screenshot of DSTC fault page as it is giving us a clue may serve us to add it back.
I would also like to add BLIS and have control again on DSTC: have you been able to accomplish one of the 2 tasks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would also like to add BLIS and have control again on DSTC: have you been able to accomplish one of the 2 tasks?
omg so frustrating. but almost for BLIS! turns out soooo many door modules, it is in fact prewired on P3 volvos but in volvo's infinite wisdom they had like infinite number of modules so to get BLIS need new DDM.PDM and maybe new rear door modules too + mirrors + Vdash with BLiss installed option (not they SODR/SODL option) but shouldn't need a new harness... may need software update/reload via VIDA. my 2011 XC70 uses 9G9T-14B533 series of modules. i found out the hardway need the last 2 letters of the modules model numbers starts with either H, and E, or C (maybe more but all other letters i encountered dont seem to have BLIS communications) and have to match all of modules last letter.. so say you got 9G9T-14B533-CC rear door modules, you will need front modules to be 9G9T-14B533-HC or EC or CC and vise versa.. if you pick up front modules that end in a certain letter those need to match as well with rears.. doesn't mean rear and front modules need to match first of last 2 letters.. rears can be HC and fron can be EC and vise versa.. i do not know if front modules are picky about which side they go on, i put it in my passenger side because on driver side it was complaining to much in diagnostics and occasionally stop letting me control my windows.. also on quick inspection, comparing my non blis door modules to my BLIS enabled ones, they look to constrain all same parts and pins.. i may take a closter look at modules when this new one arrives at some point thi week hopefully, so i dont know, maybe just software differences between most modules.

where i am stuck at with BLIS is right now waiting on a last module for my car to put into driver side, i also have a error on passenger side where it rapidly blinks the BLIS LED for not reason constantly after cranking, the code i get indicates that maybe unhappy with signal its receiving from the mirror. hoping once i get driver side module installed and BLIS re-enabled in Vdash that it will just work, but if not i will also test software update for door modules and other hardware. i did ask a tech at volvo dealer and he said when that happens its very rare but software update has fixed them but wasn't sure in my case because im using S80 BLIS mirrors on an XC70 but should all be same internals so maybe..

as for DSTC, no progress im not a good coder and very limited knowhow with probing and poking CAN and LIN buses to identify DSTC signal. that being said i did have a think, and i think the issue is that the car sees the new DIM and sees doesn't match and DSTC being forced on is a failsafe.. my research backs this up, people swapped out DIMs with exact matching DIMs gotten this issue too where cant keep DSTC off.. older volvos with DSTC liek P1 and P2 adding DSTC button does fix it. thinking more about it, no DSTC button for P3 for CCM stack i could find, so it would likely require someone to re-program an existing button maybe possible but difficult and expensive.. i think better solution is if can trick the car into believing the new DIM installed is the original, maybe simple serial number swap could do it im not sure but hen have TFT cluster reprogrammed with a new tab for DSTC activation and deactivation maybe i dont know.. i think once trick the car into not fail safing its much easier to get DSTC to turn on and off at will.. ill put this into a suggestion for vdash gang, maybe everyone here reading this can do as well..for testing and remind them we want DSTC control..

·
Registered
24 Posts
omg so frustrating. but almost for BLIS! turns out soooo many door modules, it is in fact prewired on P3 volvos but in volvo's infinite wisdom they had like infinite number of modules so to get BLIS need new DDM.PDM and maybe new rear door modules too + mirrors + Vdash with BLiss installed option (not they SODR/SODL option) but shouldn't need a new harness... may need software update/reload via VIDA. my 2011 XC70 uses 9G9T-14B533 series of modules. i found out the hardway need the last 2 letters of the modules model numbers starts with either H, and E, or C (maybe more but all other letters i encountered dont seem to have BLIS communications) and have to match all of modules last letter.. so say you got 9G9T-14B533-CC rear door modules, you will need front modules to be 9G9T-14B533-HC or EC or CC and vise versa.. if you pick up front modules that end in a certain letter those need to match as well with rears.. doesn't mean rear and front modules need to match first of last 2 letters.. rears can be HC and fron can be EC and vise versa.. i do not know if front modules are picky about which side they go on, i put it in my passenger side because on driver side it was complaining to much in diagnostics and occasionally stop letting me control my windows.. also on quick inspection, comparing my non blis door modules to my BLIS enabled ones, they look to constrain all same parts and pins.. i may take a closter look at modules when this new one arrives at some point thi week hopefully, so i dont know, maybe just software differences between most modules.

where i am stuck at with BLIS is right now waiting on a last module for my car to put into driver side, i also have a error on passenger side where it rapidly blinks the BLIS LED for not reason constantly after cranking, the code i get indicates that maybe unhappy with signal its receiving from the mirror. hoping once i get driver side module installed and BLIS re-enabled in Vdash that it will just work, but if not i will also test software update for door modules and other hardware. i did ask a tech at volvo dealer and he said when that happens its very rare but software update has fixed them but wasn't sure in my case because im using S80 BLIS mirrors on an XC70 but should all be same internals so maybe..

as for DSTC, no progress im not a good coder and very limited knowhow with probing and poking CAN and LIN buses to identify DSTC signal. that being said i did have a think, and i think the issue is that the car sees the new DIM and sees doesn't match and DSTC being forced on is a failsafe.. my research backs this up, people swapped out DIMs with exact matching DIMs gotten this issue too where cant keep DSTC off.. older volvos with DSTC liek P1 and P2 adding DSTC button does fix it. thinking more about it, no DSTC button for P3 for CCM stack i could find, so it would likely require someone to re-program an existing button maybe possible but difficult and expensive.. i think better solution is if can trick the car into believing the new DIM installed is the original, maybe simple serial number swap could do it im not sure but hen have TFT cluster reprogrammed with a new tab for DSTC activation and deactivation maybe i dont know.. i think once trick the car into not fail safing its much easier to get DSTC to turn on and off at will.. ill put this into a suggestion for vdash gang, maybe everyone here reading this can do as well..for testing and remind them we want DSTC control..
I understand that you are retrofitting the first gen BLISS with cameras in the mirrors. I assume the door module has to drive the camera so it needs to have a software to do the job, thus all those modules matching problems. there is a guy here on the forum who posted a "how to guide" to retrofit BLISS on the 60 series with radars instead of cameras: that application does not involve any upgrade to door modules, take a look here, hope it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9fbymJSnI&feature=youtu.be

now for the DSTC, as far as I learned in my attempt to retrofit a heated steering wheel, buttons on the ccm are not all the same. I believed buttons were simply buttons and a software was indicating to ccm what to do when a button was pressed depending on its position. instead, every single button has its function and you can change the button's position in the ccm and everything will work because each button has its own code inside. when I bought the heated steering wheel kit(that is xc60 stuff) I found a button inside the box but it was too small to fit in the xc70 ccm although the connector on the bottom was the same so I opened the xc70 button and put the xc60 button internal circuit in the bigger xc70 button. may be we can find a button from another model that we can use on our cars? or may be we can make an adapter(like an extension cable) to connect the required button to the ccm and install the button itself somewhere else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand that you are retrofitting the first gen BLISS with cameras in the mirrors. I assume the door module has to drive the camera so it needs to have a software to do the job, thus all those modules matching problems. there is a guy here on the forum who posted a "how to guide" to retrofit BLISS on the 60 series with radars instead of cameras: that application does not involve any upgrade to door modules, take a look here, hope it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9fbymJSnI&feature=youtu.be

now for the DSTC, as far as I learned in my attempt to retrofit a heated steering wheel, buttons on the ccm are not all the same. I believed buttons were simply buttons and a software was indicating to ccm what to do when a button was pressed depending on its position. instead, every single button has its function and you can change the button's position in the ccm and everything will work because each button has its own code inside. when I bought the heated steering wheel kit(that is xc60 stuff) I found a button inside the box but it was too small to fit in the xc70 ccm although the connector on the bottom was the same so I opened the xc70 button and put the xc60 button internal circuit in the bigger xc70 button. may be we can find a button from another model that we can use on our cars? or may be we can make an adapter(like an extension cable) to connect the required button to the ccm and install the button itself somewhere else?

ya about radar based BLIS (SODL/SODR), i actually took my rear bumpers off my XC70 to inspect for a spot to mount the radar system for each side, because i actually a set with wires cut but the plugs still intact for like $50 each and i was tempted so in preparation removed rear bumper to inspect and checked the wiring... unfortunately, XC70 lacks proper mounts for it, however with a 3D printer and proper material for hot and cold weather endurance it maybe possible to make one and blind rivet it into the frame of the car far enough away that it wouldn't interfere and could do its job. the wiring is ther eint he back even if you dont have a KVM module, however im not familiar enough with CAN/LIN com busses to say you can just splice into them as a joint connector anywhere and share a wire with another device.. so not out of the question to retrofit into XC70 as Vdash offers the option in software so it may work. i also tried tapping into same wires offered in the guides before using existing modules and doesn't work for RCM/LCM (camera) based BLIS, camera and module need to communicate more then what those pins seem to do which is just tapping into power a ground pin and LED power pin.. i did get it to light up constantly when i tapped into it..

the buttons you are correct, they have circuitry inside, more then just a switch however if i remember correctly from when i added my BLIS button, there is 8 pins so it maybe just off the shelf component inside that volvo is using.. like a SOP8 chip or something and pulling power up and down when press the button causing it to send out different programmed messages over CAN/LIN. would curious for someone to plug into the 8 pins on the CCM button stack and play with sending some messages over that and see how the car responds.. if it responds as if another button in different location is sent.. if it does than definitely maybe a way to ad custom functions and make our own buttons including DSTC functionality changes..maybe because the issue maybe that cem sees invalid DIM and keeps fail safing DSTC ON..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts