SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a simple non resistor circuit to eliminate no bulb error on my S40. Want to install 1156 Led's for all light positions. Anyone have a circuit diagram. Thanks

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Looking for a simple non resistor circuit to eliminate no bulb error on my S40. Want to install 1156 Led's for all light positions. Anyone have a circuit diagram. Thanks
My .02 - get yourself some canbus friendly LED's from a quality maker and an LED friendly relay if its for the blinkers, would cost about the same as the 50w resistors and you don't have to modify any wiring harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My .02 - get yourself some canbus friendly LED's from a quality maker and an LED friendly relay if its for the blinkers, would cost about the same as the 50w resistors and you don't have to modify any wiring harness.
Avenger09123: Thanks for the info. I have a programmable blinker relay. Now I'll look for canbus free 1156 bulbs for the rest of the lights.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A simple non-resistor circuit is a light bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If you're wiring resistors in series with the LEDs you're eliminating any increase in "efficiency"

·
Registered
652 Posts
Defeats my objective of eliminating all incandescent bulbs and switching to more efficient LED's.
If you objective is to save power and have no bulb failure warnings, then experiment with resistor values to find a value as high as possible to minimise power consumption but just low enough to satisfy the system that a „bulb“ is present. Make sure you calculate the wattage heat produced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you objective is to save power and have no bulb failure warnings, then experiment with resistor values to find a value as high as possible to minimise power consumption but just low enough to satisfy the system that a „bulb“ is present. Make sure you calculate the wattage heat produced.

Excellent idea. I read that in some cases a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor is enough to fool the computer. I have a bunch of old variable pots that I'll try out.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
The one's I have use 3x222 ohm surface mount resistors in parallel to eliminate canbus issues (so a fraction of a watt)

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
The one's I have use 3x222 ohm surface mount resistors in parallel to eliminate canbus issues (so a fraction of a watt)
2.8 watts spread over 3 resistors. 74ohm at 14.4 volts.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you wanted to reduce power consumption intelligently, make a PWM circuit to control the resistor and alter the pulse width to find the detection threshold of the lamp control circuit. You can reduce consumption a lot this way, but you do add complexity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts