SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my rear nivomats with standard shocks & springs. 04 xc90 T6. I haven't found much info on what will bolt right up, and where to buy them. IPD has some nivomat replacement kits, but not for the xc90. Where can I find something similar for my xc90?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
do a search. I read a few years ago about needing non nivomat springs.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
CarId.com has Sachs shocks guaranteed to fit the XC90. Put in your year, make, model and go to suspension parts. There are 3 or 4 different types, and the Sachs come with or without Nivomat. FCP Euro also offers complete sets now that are just pull out the old, put in the new. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done searches and haven't found a definitive answer. Some say you can just swap in non-nivo shocks and springs and others say you can't. I was hoping to hear from someone that's done the swap.

Thanks oneofakind. I'll check out those sites.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently put on Bilstein B6 on the front and Bilstein 4600 Series in the rear. Car rides better than with OEM R-Design struts. With the new struts and the Volvo Seats its like a butterknife through warm butter. The ride is sublime, I have driven on them for about 1500 miles since replacing. Also replaced front upper strut mounts at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success! I installed the new rear shocks, springs and upper bushings. Everything bolted right up smoothly. The top nut is pretty hard to get at, but was manageable. The ride feels about the same, more plush if anything.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Congrats! Where did you end up ordering from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shocks, bushings and control arms from IPD, and the springs were from ebay. Total was under $400.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my HD bilsteins for less than 80 bucks each at FCP. Already have eicbach Springs so no problem replacing the nimovats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a great price. Let me know if you need any help... I could probably do a little write up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good post! I myself am about to go through with the same, except I'm eyeing Bilstein HD. Apart from the spring and shocks, did you need to replace anything else? Like mounts, etc. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts