SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 days have been heel for me and my volvo. First I found out that the battery in the car was the original factory battery. The car died twice before I changed the battery and all seemed good. <p>The second problem is now it won't shift right. I think it holds in 3rd gear. No matter what I try it won't shift down. I checked my fluid and it looks fine.<p>Now onto the 3rd problem. The car burns oil a bit and toay I went to put more oil in. I tried starting the car and all it does is click click click at me.<p>Oh and my speedometer, my RPMs my gas guage and the Temp guages don't work anymore.<p>I obviously don't know much about cars so anyhelp would be great.<p>its a 1991 740 Turbo Wagon. Its got about 140,000 on it and I am the 3rd owner. I bought the car from my wifes uncle.<p>Again, any help would be great.<p>Thanks<br>Ryan Kingkade

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Re: Can anyone HELP? (ryankingkade)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Ryan.<p>Who installed the battery? Was it a new battery? When the car goes "click, click, click" it usually means a low/dead battery and/or an alternator problem. If a new battery went dead in a short time then the alternator is not charging the battery. Check all cable and electric connections at the battery, starter and alternator. Be sure the alternator belt is not too loose.<p>Is your car an automatic or manual transmission? It sounds as if the trans is not shifting into overdrive based on your description. This may be the od relay acting up in very cold weather.<p>George Dill<p>Temple, Texas - 75F today!<p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Can anyone HELP? (gdill2)

Thanks George! My friend and I had the alternator tested and that seems to be the problem. I'm putting in a new one tomorrow. As far as the transmission thing, how easy is it to swap out a relay? Is that something I could do myself?<p>thanks again for you help!<p>Ryan

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Re: Can anyone HELP? (ryankingkade)

Look around on<p><A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900" TARGET="_blank">http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900</A>/<p>for solutions to most any 700/900 problem.<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts