SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best possible shine on my 04 S60R (and protection). I know with standard waxes the minute I go to the self serve car wash that those chemicals strip most of the wax right off that I just applied. I am looking for a wax that I only have to do 2 times a year MAX. I have heard about certain polimers working great and clay based waxes. I just want to hear some personal experieces with whatever products you use. Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: Can anyone explain CLAY additives to wax, or products that use clay????????????? (Mash)

In short, there is no such thing. If you want to do what you want to do, you're probably better off clearbra-ing the whole car. Waxes are a protective coating and should be applied on a regular basis. Durability depends on weather conditions and general conditions (do you live with a lot of pollen, etc). I clay and wax my car once a month and that has been going well for me.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can anyone explain CLAY additives to wax, or products that use clay????????????? (mike_c70)

Thanks C. I tried a new product called ICE from turtle wax. It is a polymer not a wax. Goes on clear and actually shines the black trim that we usually hate to look at after waxing. 18.00USD for 14oz. I shined the whole car and only used 10% of what was in the bottle. Seemed to work great. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Can anyone explain CLAY additives to wax, or products that use clay????????????? (Mash)

The two most popular choices for what you are asking about are:<p>1)Zaino <A HREF="http://www.zainostore.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.zainostore.com/</A><p>2)Klasse <A HREF="http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kla-10.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kla-10.html</A><p>They have a slight learning curve (not your simple, wax on, wax off), but the results are just as good if not better than most carnuba based waxes, and they protect A LOT longer. Car washes will always be hard on your finish, so if you want to keep your car looking nice I suggest just wash by hand, and only visit a car wash when you have no other choice.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I normally Clay my car once a quarter, wash my car weekly, use quick detail like it's going out of style, AIO my car, SG and P21S it once a month.<p>

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Has anyone tried something called Glare Polish? It's supposed to eliminate waxing forever...hard to believe huh?

·
Registered
688 Posts

Mike is right - the ideal you're looking for really doesn't exist. For one, I'm not sure of waht a clay wax is. There are clay bars, used to remove particles and debris before waxing, but I'm not familier with a wax that combines them. <p>For once or twice a year, though, you can do all right with the right kind of product and application. The best thing for you will be a synthetic wax. Meguiar's NXT or Klasse are the best ones out there that I know of (without going to the ultra-high end preservationist stuff). these are different from the zaino product which is more of a polymer sealant that effectively covers your paint, but doesn't really treat it with any lubrication. because it really only layers on top of the paint, as opposed to pentrating and highlighting, it will give you the best, most carnuba-like shine (especially if your car is black or has a color instead of grey or silver). the best method for any of these is to apply a coat, let it seal for 12-24 hours and then apply another coat.<p>I use Meguiars NXT sythetic wax and usually apply two coats, each one taking about 45 minutes to an hour to do <B><I>thoroughly</I></B>. (You can really rush through it in 30 minutes.) then i like to apply a coat of carnuba, P21S, which adds some depth and wetness to the shine. becasue this last coat is less about protection than image enhancement, i go a little faster (~30 mins). but the carnuba will probably be gone within a month, especially in TN summers. however, if applied properly, up to 7 months later, the Meguiars still gives me excellent beadage in rain with little to no spotting as it dries. And when time permits, during those 6-8 months, I add a coat of P21s after handwashing.<p>Which brings up the self-serve car wash. Your best route, by far, once you have put on a couple of coats of really good wax is to hand wash once a week. It takes maybe 15 minutes more than a self-serv place, does a better job, and is easier on your paint. Be sure to use a car wash formula that is matched to your wax (I use Meguiar's Gold Class). If you've put a good coat of wax on your wheels - really a must do - add 20 minutes every other week to quickly and easily get the brake dust off.<p>HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts