SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to replace the Rosso's and have heard plenty of mixed reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires - ranging from extremely good to extremely bad. After a little online research I came across the Toyo Proxes 4 tire, which appear to be widely accepted as a very good all-season tire. They are pretty inexpensive, which makes me wonder how good they could be...

Has anyone installed these on their R? If so, can you comment on:

Performance and traction, dry and wet (I live in Seattle, so wet weather is the norm)?
Ride quality?
Noise?
Longevity?
Durability?

If they are as good as the reviews would suggest, I can splurge on new wheels without spending the next six months sleeping on the couch!

Thanks - Tryg

·
Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: Can anyone comment on Toyo brand tires? - Proxes 4 (RainyS60R)

Dunno about those Toyos. Never heard about them, but kinda low treadwear (300) for an all-season

You've read bad reviews about the P/S A/S?

The only thing I've read that's bad is the price.

Of course, you're always going to get some people on the tire rack who don't like a tire, or have had problems.

Check in with Jim (JRL) on his new Pilot Exaltos. I am seriously considering them for the next tire on the R. Seems a little more comfy than the P/S A/S and a little less expensive.

Of course, I do have an auto, so according to some people, I shouldn't have an R at all and the thought of putting H rated tires on an R must send a shudder through their very core.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Can anyone comment on Toyo brand tires? - Proxes 4 (needsdecaf)

I thought Jim was running PS all seasons.

I have yet to hear or read anything bad about PS a/s Michelins. They had better be good - I just ordered a set of 18s for my new R. I just wish the price wasn't so stiff.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Can anyone comment on Toyo brand tires? - Proxes 4 (sgmlaw)

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »

I have yet to hear or read anything bad about PS a/s Michelins. They had better be good - I just ordered a set of 18s for my new R. I just wish the price wasn't so stiff.
Why didn't you ask me first
before you paid RETAIL?

·
Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: Can anyone comment on Toyo brand tires? - Proxes 4 (sgmlaw)

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »

Jim is, these were tires he just bought for his wife's car.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=56126

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Can anyone comment on Toyo brand tires? - Proxes 4 (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Why didn't you ask me first
before you paid RETAIL?

Thanks for the reminder. It's been resolved. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Remember, I did
when that lady hit me.

·
Premium Member
39,081 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
I'm ready to replace the Rosso's and have heard plenty of mixed reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires - ranging from extremely good to extremely bad. After a little online research I came across the Toyo Proxes 4 tire, which appear to be widely accepted as a very good all-season tire. They are pretty inexpensive, which makes me wonder how good they could be...

I have them on my T5 (235-45/17). I have had them for about a year now. I like them very much. They are not noisy at all, VERY GOOD in the rain (highway speeds and braking) but not excellent when I start (from standstill) going up a hill. But remember, my car is FWD. Overall, very good for what you will pay. Wear has been slightly better than average and I am a stickler with my tire pressures (I check and adjust just about every 10 or 14 days) and rotate them religiously. I have not tried them on snow since I use snow tires in the winter.

Durability? It all depends on how you drive, where you drive and how careful you are with your tire pressures. So far, no bubbles, etc. But I also never got any of that woith my OEM tires (Pirelli P6s) when so many others were complaining. I got 43K miles out of those and no incidents.

Would I get them again? If I wanted to get a rather inexpensive high performance all season tire, yes. But my next tire will be a dedicated summer tire.

Yannis

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

With the wet climate, another A/S tire to consider is the Conti Extreme Contact. I had these on my '05 as a winter tire, and they were absolutely terrific performers in wet and snowy weather. And they're very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: (Pedestrian_A)

I have them and have been very happy with them, they are mounted on evolve 19" rims, 235/30-19's.

Low road noise
Good ride quality
Good wear qualities
Slightly less grip, dry, than the P-zeros
Very good in snow, and wet
I felt that the P-zeros were great dry, good wet, sucked in snow.

I like them enough to go with the same when required.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Lake Powell)

That's good enough for me - plus, they are a good $350 less for a set than the Pilot Sport A/S. That price point may provide me with sufficient wiggle room for a wife-friendly wheel upgrade (yes, I admit it, I have no backbone).

Hmmmm... now I have to decide on a wheel (deciding on the tires took a good two weeks).

Thanks for the input - I'm glad to hear that at least a couple of Volvo/R owners have used them on their cars with successful results. I'm pretty sure that there isn't an all-season tire on the market that will be as sticky as the Rosso's while meeting all of the other criteria (treadwear, noise, comfort, etc.).

- Tryg

·
Registered
117 Posts
I run the Proxes 4 on my Monte, 245/50/16s. The car never sees the rain or snow, but when I did run it in the rain once it was very loose when I was on the throttle. I wonder why?

Like mentioned, they are fairly quiet and rides well. I am considering them for my R also when these Rosso's are finished.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Re: (spudmanmike)

I have proxie 4s on my car. They give you pretty good dry and wet traction. Snow is ok, my car is front wheel drive tough not all wheel. I was thinking about putting them on my wife's R unless I can get a really good deal on the PS a/s

I should ad that depending on how you drive your looking at about 14-20k miles on the toyos before they have to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
the only toyo I ran was the proxes T1-S. i rant hose after the rossos went bad. the toyo was good, but the PS2s are much better.

the toyo handled well, but I think the PS2 handles AS well or better and it much more comfortble...the PS2 made the car ride much more smoothly when cruising....but it still grips hard in turns.

the PS2 is awesome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.