SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, the distance from the ground to the center lip of the rear wheel well arch? Per this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174797-R-Design-Ride-Quality...part-2 I recently swapped the stock r-design rear shocks and springs for the base "touring" suspension shocks and springs in order to smooth out the ride a bit. However, I think the car has been raised as a result, but I'm not positive and didn't measure before-hand (Essentially the gap between the top of the tire and the fender lip seems larger). I actually don't have a decent pic showing that angle on our car beforehand and when I look at pics online the gaps seem all over the place (much of it an illusion based on the angle of the pic). Anyway, if a couple of you (RD and non RD owners) could measure the height from the ground to the center of the wheel well lip I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not a guy, but... :)

I get 32 inches from the ground straight up to the edge of the uppermost part of the arch. I figured wheel size makes a difference as well, and I am pretty sure I have the standard 17 inch wheels but I can't find my original window sticker and am not totally sure. I tried measuring the distance between the lip and the tire but the curve on the tire makes a common measuring point difficult. I have a non RD.

good luck in your research!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks reckless. Just double-checking, that was the rear wheel well - correct?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Just a tiny tad shy of 32" on our '10 T6 with new but stockish 18" tires.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Reckless and Coach! Sorry for my delayed response. My driveway is actually sloped in two directions and I had to relocate the car to get an accurate height measurement. The results...yep, I screwed up (but just a little). The specifics and probably cause:

1. My driver's side (left side in the U.S.) is measuring about 32 1/4 inches
2. My passenger's side (right side in U.S.) is meansuring about 33 1/4 inches!

Probable cause:

The only real variables would have been if I had tightened the suspension before it was lowered (which I did not do) OR I had mis-positioned the upper rubber mount which is graduated. Based on these pics, it looks like the upper mount is my root cause:

Right Side (33 1/4 inches!) - Notice how the fat part of the rubber mount is toward the BACK of the car)

Left Side (much closer to the 32 inches you two are reporting) - Notice how the fat part of the mount is toward the FRONT of the car)

Basically, I think I just need to lower the control arm and re-position the mount). A bit of a pain since it will probably require undoing virtually all the bolts...a junior mistake on my part. Ah well, such is life.

p.s. the overall diameter of the 17, 18 and 20" rims/tires differs by less than 1/10 of an inch (i.e. not a real factor).

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts