SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I drive mine 12 months, approx 40 000kms/yr. Studded Nokians in the winter, very rare that I have any type of issue...

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
941 Posts
Same for both of mine, although we rarely get much snow so A/S are fine here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
I also drive mine year round here in Wisconsin.

It's no problem.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
I assume you're asking about winter performance. I'm about to start my ninth winter with the car as my daily driver, and it has reliably handled all sorts of snow and ice. It is front-wheel drive and does suffer from some torque steer, but there is a good amount of weight on the front wheels and traction is good. I highly recommend a set of winter tires if it is your daily driver. Of course, don't expect it to beat AWD and to have an SUV's ground clearance.

It is also warm and well insulated and has excellent window defrost capability and heated side mirrors. Plus, did I mention the hard top? No need to worry if 27" of wet snow fall overnight on your soft convertible top...

·
Registered
941 Posts
+1 for everything regtor said. I had an ‘05 S60 2.5T FWD in Nebraska, and that thing was terrible in the winter. The C70s do far better in the snow and ice than that ever did. Maybe I’m more particular about tires now than back then and that was really the difference (posters in the S60 forum seem to think it’s just fine in all conditions with the right “shoes”), but you should have full confidence with yours if you’re used to driving a FWD in those conditions.

Of course, you can’t control the driver behind you, so getting rear-ended on a slippery day could wreak havoc to the rooftop mechanicals....

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any words of wisdom pro or con on this subject?
It better be! I’ve only had mine through one mild Seattle winter, so time will tell. Good to hear those positive responses though. I’ve been expecting less than stellar snow performance.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mine has been good through 7 Seattle winters, but useless in snow without studs. I have a slight incline to my driveway and I tested traction by backing down and trying to get back up on my fresh DWSs and even DSTC wasn't getting me anywhere. Had to put my cables on. We'll see what my new Quaife LSD does for me...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My C70 has been my daily for three Philadelphia winters.... it's more than a bit skittish on wet snow, but we haven't had a whole lot of that these past few years... having the option to manual change gears is especially useful, 1st gear is pretty much unusable when slippery... the heater/heated seats/defrosters work well enough even when leaving work around midnight on the coldest of Pennsylvania nights - that said I did enjoy having my AWD S60 for the last few snowy days towards the end of last winter

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
It's a Volvo, it's built for Scandinavian winters.

Convert it to AWD and you'll have the most capable winter convertible out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I chose not to drive my C70 in snowy weather, for no reasons other than I had another car that I was more willing to get dirty, and I never drove it to work anyway. Since I didn't have a garage back then, when snow was in the forecast I would protect my baby with a nice custom fit cover, making it easy and safer to get the snow off. I purchased it from Autobarn in 2014 and used it for 2 winters until we moved to a house with a garage. The website describes it as COV-PC-G3 Covercraft Custom Fit Car Cover: 2013 Volvo C70 T5 (WeatherShield HP - PL Light Blue) Size G3 (C16963PL). Current retail is around $375 for that color, after their current 10% sale discount. The cover is clean and in very good condition. It can be yours for $100 plus $20 shipping.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’ll let you know after this winter. If I don’t finish the VR soon then I’ll be driving the c70. Luckily I take public trans to get to work so I’ll only drive when I have to. It should be fine. It’s a Volvo.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My wife drove hers daily for 5 years in Syracuse (avg 150" of snow/year). The ground clearance is a little low for blasting through the wall of snow and ice the plow leaves at the end of the driveway, but otherwise with good tires it did just fine. Cozy heated seats, strong defrosters, heated mirrors. And the windows on ours never got stuck or iced up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
NO Way

Any words of wisdom pro or con on this subject?
Con:
I would never run that car in snow and ice. If anybody rear ends you, you can kiss that convertible good bye. NO insurance company would pay to have that car fixed as it is considered an obsolete car. The bulk of the C70-s are between 2007 and 2011. Parts would be hard to come by and expensive. It could easily have 8-10k to fix that car if it was seriously rear ended. They may fix it -but no convertible. (why own that car then). Also the snow & salt would give that car a beating on anything electrical or physical relating to the top mechanism. And the ground clearance is so low- another problem. If you really like that car put a cover over it and buy a beater for the winter.
I live in CA. But lived in many winters in Ontario and upper NY State-I know what winters do to cars. If you love your C70 as I do mine-then take care of it by not letting it take any winters on the road.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
We could have taken off the months of August and September here in central Texas. We are over 50 days of 100F+ temps and still counting!!!
September is the hottest on record!!! I'll go out tonight after sunset and it will still be well above 90 degrees :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Con:
If you really like that car put a cover over it and buy a beater for the winter.
I know what winters do to cars. If you love your C70 as I do mine-then take care of it by not letting it take any winters on the road.
I'm the Bozo who started this thread. Have owned many many cars (wife's correct it is an illness). Have always had a couple of rear wheel drive v-8s that need put away for the winter. So the c70 was justified as the winter driver. Explained to wifey that front wheel drive with snow tires will get her through the winter. (She hated her 345 hp Chrysler 300C in the snow!) Don't know that she'd buy in on buying a winter beater after justifying this car's purchase. She's in the top 5 of 95 owned and rising quickly. Easily one of the nicest cars ever owned. OK snow tires on Dec. 1 .

Damn I do love this car! Thanks for the input folks!

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I would never run that car in snow and ice. If anybody rear ends you, you can kiss that convertible good bye.
Your car is always at risk of being damaged, even when it's parked in your driveway. I wouldn't let the fear of an accident deter you from enjoying it. Cars are meant to be driven and can always be replaced.

I understand preserving a car that you care about. But many people take it to such an extreme, that they rarely drive their favorite car or truly get to enjoy it.
After 10 years, I'd rather be faced with selling a 200k mile car that was enjoyed on the daily, than have a 30k mile car that spent more time under a car cover than on the road.

Whether you drive your car through winter or park it in exchange for a beater, it's not necessarily changing the length of ownership. It's an older car with outdated technology that 99% of owners will move on from. I don't really understand why people desire to preserve "regular" cars either. By the time it's 10 year's old, a pristine low-mileage example will only be worth maybe $2k more than a daily, at which point I'd regret not having enjoyed it more. Different vibes for different people I guess...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Different vibes for different people I guess...
I’m with you, Michael. Besides, I suspect most of us drive Volvos for the same primary reason. I’d much rather be in it in a rear end collision than a non-Volvo.

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts