SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so we've got a ski trip planned and was wondering how the V50 2.4 FWD handles snow i.e. the access road up the mountain. I assume chains will probably be required but would the car be able to handle it or will booking a shuttle up the mountain probably be the best way to go. We need to take two cars up and unfortunately only have one car with AWD.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I love in Ohio and get a fair amount of snow each year. My s40 2.4i fwd handles it fairly well with good all season tires. Going up a mountain I’d definitely get chains as to prevent slipping backwards or anything like that. But I would drive to and from school and also occasionally on the highway with no real issues. Traction control would kick in a lot though. I recommend clicking the “W” button on the gear selector console to activate wet/winter mode, which changes shift patterns to prevent slipping from take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I use these - they are the easiest tire chains I have ever put on any car:
https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-023...s=tire+chains&qid=1563065198&s=gateway&sr=8-5

however, given the advances of some of the designs - I am quite excited to one day try one of these guys:
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-U...s=tire+chains&qid=1563065198&s=gateway&sr=8-8
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Ant-Anti...s=tire+chains&qid=1563065198&s=gateway&sr=8-9
https://www.amazon.com/ZipGripGo-Em...s&qid=1563065198&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

There is also a company that makes one using lug nuts and it secures like a hubcap, with fingers extending over the top of the tire, but of course those are speed limited.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Tires make all the difference.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I have a 2015.5 S60 FWD and throw on Nokians. I'd say they work 80% of the time. I was in Chicago during the Polar Vortex. It was -18 Degrees outside with -50 Degree windchill. I was trying to make it up the very very steep ramp leading to the parking garage. First time I rolled backwards. Second time I gunned it and was successful.

AWD gives that extra grip and finesse. FWD will handle most things with a little extra effort and proper tires.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I love in Ohio and get a fair amount of snow each year. My s40 2.4i fwd handles it fairly well with good all season tires. Going up a mountain I’d definitely get chains as to prevent slipping backwards or anything like that. But I would drive to and from school and also occasionally on the highway with no real issues. Traction control would kick in a lot though. I recommend clicking the “W” button on the gear selector console to activate wet/winter mode, which changes shift patterns to prevent slipping from take off.

Cleveland? That's probably worst part of Ohio with lake effect.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Cleveland? That's probably worst part of Ohio with lake effect.
Cincinnati. But we get a decent amount of snow in the winter months.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Cincinnati. But we get a decent amount of snow in the winter months.

You're on the dividing line a lot of times. Cincinnati lucks out a lot more by being a few degrees warmer than everywhere else up 75. So storms are often not as severe or skip you all together. But of course, that's not 100% accurate.

Cincinnati remained unphased by the massive tornadoes that hit Dayton and surrounding areas.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You're on the dividing line a lot of times. Cincinnati lucks out a lot more by being a few degrees warmer than everywhere else up 75. So storms are often not as severe or skip you all together. But of course, that's not 100% accurate.

Cincinnati remained unphased by the massive tornadoes that hit Dayton and surrounding areas.
Yeah exactly right. I wish we got more severe weather (I love storms!) but yeah thankfully we didn’t get the tornadoes Dayton got. Last year where I’m at we got a lot of snow, but it usually doesn’t stick around very long.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Yeah exactly right. I wish we got more severe weather (I love storms!) but yeah thankfully we didn’t get the tornadoes Dayton got. Last year where I’m at we got a lot of snow, but it usually doesn’t stick around very long.

Sent you private message.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tires and your ability to drive safely in the snow are the most important factors. I drove a lowered mustang gt with nokian snow tires all over the Co mountains for several years.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Proper tires, anyday! And try to get used to them, if possible, first! Remember to keep distance to cars in front... In case of a small incline you can't get up, try backing up! If you get stuck, don't floor it. Try to rock back and forth! Just a few tips from the top of my head...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tires, weight distribution (on drive wheels) and number of drive wheels determine traction in snow. Any two cars with similar attributes (those three) will perform similarly. Yes, ESP may vary handling abilities, but I assume that's not your primary question driving up a snow-covered hill.
Anybody who thinks car X is so much better (or worse) than car Y, and they were both FWD, then they probably had different tires. Tires are the biggest factor, and also one that most people seem to ignore.
Ed (Nokians, all the way, in my NE Indiana winters)
p.s.
For deeper snow, obviously ground clearance is also a factor.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yes it can, with winter tires. i am in Montreal, Quebec and we get tons of show and super cold winters, and the city takes its sweet time cleaning the streets. with a set of winter tires (i am on Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s), the car handles almost everything just fine. keep your distance, drive safe, and it'll be fine. i couldn't believe the difference the winter tires made in the handling.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
+1. An AWD with crap tires will handle poorly just like a FWD with crap tires. Nokians on an AWD vs. FWD wil definitely have noticeable gains. Though FWD does perform quite well in the totality of things. There's a great video here for those curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

·
Registered
437 Posts
Anybody who thinks car X is so much better (or worse) than car Y, and they were both FWD, then they probably had different tires.
I agree with this, but we also need to remember about tire/wheel *sizes*.

Take two identical cars - say Volvo 850's - and put them both on brand new Blizzak's. But one of them has 185/65/R15's and the other has 215/40/R18's. One of those is going to do *way* better in the snow than the other one.

A lot of times people will talk about how their old cheap car of brand "x" was so amazing in the snow, and they are actually right. A lot of it has to do with cars from the 80s and 90s having actual reasonable amount of sidewall and narrower width tires on them : an absolutely huge advantage in the snow. Today's trendy steamroller 18"+ wheels certainly look really cool, but just don't work as well in the white stuff, even when you put the correct type of rubber on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts