SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the FCP video on changing a timing belt and saw this video on the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBYvjfD5LI

Has anyone purchased this cam locking tool from these guys and are they any good? I emailed them and they got back to me less an hour later with a $105 price shipped to PA from Canada.

I am going to be changing the timing belt on my wife's XC90 and then the R so was wondering if this was worth the $100.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I was watching the FCP video on changing a timing belt and saw this video on the side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBYvjfD5LI

Has anyone purchased this cam locking tool from these guys and are they any good? I emailed them and they got back to me less an hour later with a $105 price shipped to PA from Canada.

I am going to be changing the timing belt on my wife's XC90 and then the R so was wondering if this was worth the $100.
If this is your first time changing a timing belt, than the $100 locking tool is a GREAT peace of mind! Plus you can resell it when done. :)

Otherwise, careful planning, clear marks with paste chalk (or sharpie) and patience will work just fine.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Be careful cause they say there is "markings" on the cams but mine had no markings what so ever so my indy used a cam locking tool when he did my timing belt install.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah I got it when I did mine, It was okay. Kinda a pain, but it was nice having a bit of reassurance. Mine is also for sale if interested.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nuccio, what are you selling it for and do you have pics?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Don't really need it if you don't pull the hubs since its a lot more work than needed just for changing a timing belt. Only important part is lining up the correct marks, or making your own marks if someone didn't set the timing marks correctly when previously using the tool.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Id say get the locking tool just in case. I did my belt was off ever so slightly on reinstall (ran fine) then tried to fix it and was about a tooth off and it ran like a diesel. I took it to the shop after that, they reset everything and I didnt have anything bent (I did rotate the engine each time before starting so I wasnt worried about that).

If anything you should make something to place inbetween the cams so they cant move while you are messing around.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Its nice to have the tool, but its worth mentioning it requires pulling the cam timing sensors and the starter, which is a LOT more work than just marking some teeth and making sure everything lines up after you tension the belt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Its nice to have the tool, but its worth mentioning it requires pulling the cam timing sensors and the starter, which is a LOT more work than just marking some teeth and making sure everything lines up after you tension the belt.
So if I'm ordering an OEM timing belt kit and plan to replace just those items (tensioner etc), I don't need the tool? It really doesn't look like too bad a job after watching the FCP video and looking around on here a bit. I don't thin mine has ever been changed; i'm at 106k right now.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If you don't pull the CVVT hubs and they have been properly set before you change your belt (which is the case for your first timing belt change) there is no actual need for the tool. Just have to be sure to set some timing marks if the factory ones aren't lining up, and make sure they are in the same place after you install and tension the new belt, just like any other timing belt change.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
PS - If your cam seals are leaking, you will need to pull the hubs and need the tool, so make sure to inspect the cam seals to make sure they are dry since that will be something that will necessitate going the timing tool route.

·
Registered
345 Posts
PS - If your cam seals are leaking, you will need to pull the hubs and need the tool, so make sure to inspect the cam seals to make sure they are dry since that will be something that will necessitate going the timing tool route.
As far as I know mine are not leaking, but then again, I guess I wouldn't know until I pull the timing belt cover, etc. right? If they are not leaking, is it normal to change them out while you are in there?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts