SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 2 week road trip in my wife's new Highlander, which is big, fit's all our stuff and is reasonably comfortable, but I did miss my S60 as we got into the second week. Well to my surprise I ran into the nest picture below at our resort. I first applauded the valet's for parking these beauties up front, but to my surprise they told me that these cars were available for test drives for the hotel guest!!! If fact you could book the cars for an entire day!! I love my family, enjoyed our vacation but I have to admit this was the icing on the cake.

Out of the XC60 R-Design and new XC90 Inspiration I drove, we loved way the XC60 drove and handled. Loved the interior and size (for us) of the XC90, BUT to my surprise the headrest was an issue for my 5'10" wife. It pushed her head forward and she had to adjust the seat angle further back than she normally does to be comfortable. The headrest were not adjustable.

The stereo in the XC90 was incredible, better than any other car stereo I have ever heard!

I took all three cars (our Highlander, XC60 and XC90) on the Kangamangus highway, the XC60 was by far the most fun - hugged the corners and braked like a sports car, the XC90 had us all singing as we went around the mountain and well.. the Highlander it soaked up some of the broken road with ease and got us home in one piece. Of course if I had my S60, it would have topped all three :)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. This is an initiative we are starting (working w/ some luxury hotel chains); I think it is a great idea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you enjoyed it. This is an initiative we are starting (working w/ some luxury hotel chains); I think it is a great idea.
It's not a great idea... it's BRILLIANT ! :) Wish they had a V60CC there instead of 2 XC60's. My only suggestion is to make sure the cars are setup properly. The XC90 was not completely setup so some error messages were on the main screen - it had 85 miles on it when I took it out, returned it with over 270 :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
They do look good parked together like that.

How did you find out they were available for hotel guests? I would think there
would be some signage somewhere indicating they are available.

Sounds like you were one of the first to try it out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do look good parked together like that.

How did you find out they were available for hotel guests? I would think there
would be some signage somewhere indicating they are available.

Sounds like you were one of the first to try it out.
I noticed the cars immediately and just asked started talking to the Valet - said that it was cool that there were that many Volvo drivers in one place... and that's when I found out. I did not see any signage, I must have missed it... the Valet also said that Audi S4 drivers seem to be the most surprised by the performance of the R-Designs

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It's not a great idea... it's BRILLIANT ! :) Wish they had a V60CC there instead of 2 XC60's. My only suggestion is to make sure the cars are setup properly. The XC90 was not completely setup so some error messages were on the main screen - it had 85 miles on it when I took it out, returned it with over 270 :)
Hmm. It's a lot more than 85 miles from Rockleigh to Bretton Woods, so I'm guessing the XC90 wasn't driven up from NJ, but rather trucked to one of the Lovering dealerships in Nashua/Concord/Meredith and then driven up to Mt. Washington. How am I doing, Yannis?

Apparently the dealer didn't prep the car properly after it came off the transport. That should sound familiar to many owners. And Lovering is actually one of the best dealerships in eastern NE. Don't get me wrong -- I think this is one of VCNA's best promotional ideas in ages: offering prospective buyers a chance to drive a new Volvo at length in a no-pressure environment without a sales critter in tow. The drive up through Crawford Notch is gorgeous and provides a wonderful opportunity to put these great-handling cars through their paces. And then Volvo blows the execution and shoots itself in the foot by not insuring that the car was properly setup, nor advertising the availability of test drives to resort guests. Sigh. That is so VCNA. Some things just never change...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The XC60 R-Design just looks so perfect in Passion Red, doesn't it? On the S60/V60 R-Design I'd have to choose Rebel Blue myself, but Passion Red really does look great on Volvos, especially the way it blends with the tail lamps and is contrasted against the silver wheels and exterior trim.

Regarding the headrests, I've found that women in general tend to complain about them. Not just on the XC90, but on all Volvos in general. Maybe it's due to their preferred hair style (pony tails, buns, etc.) or their shorter torsos? Point is, headrests must be close to the back of the head, if not touching, for them to be most effective at reducing injuries in rear impact crashes. It kills me when I see cars in movies and television shows where they've removed the headrests to get a better shot. As a car guy, it stands out like a sore thumb and makes the scene even less believable. If they're worried about continuity the director should spend more effort so it's a non-issue. I think women just need a longer adjustment period to become acclimated to headrests that work as they should.

And then Volvo blows the execution and shoots itself in the foot by not insuring that the car was properly setup, nor advertising the availability of test drives to resort guests. Sigh. That is so VCNA. Some things just never change...
Typical Volvo. Great cars. The rest of the ownership experience, not so much. Heck, even Jaguar is turning their ship around in terms of dealer satisfaction. In this day in age, the entire package is what matters. How long can Volvo survive on product alone if after sales support stinks? I must be spoiled because I don't know how people deal with your typical auto dealers. I have no patience for them. It killed me dealing with the hacks at the local Honda/Nissan/Volvo/VW store recently. I can't wait for Volvo to revoke their franchise and grant it to someone else more competent!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Great work Grecian, this is brilliant!
Thank you but I am not responsible for this particular location. We are doing it in So Cal as well.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hmm. It's a lot more than 85 miles from Rockleigh to Bretton Woods, so I'm guessing the XC90 wasn't driven up from NJ, but rather trucked to one of the Lovering dealerships in Nashua/Concord/Meredith and then driven up to Mt. Washington. How am I doing, Yannis?

Apparently the dealer didn't prep the car properly after it came off the transport. That should sound familiar to many owners. And Lovering is actually one of the best dealerships in eastern NE. Don't get me wrong -- I think this is one of VCNA's best promotional ideas in ages: offering prospective buyers a chance to drive a new Volvo at length in a no-pressure environment without a sales critter in tow. The drive up through Crawford Notch is gorgeous and provides a wonderful opportunity to put these great-handling cars through their paces. And then Volvo blows the execution and shoots itself in the foot by not insuring that the car was properly setup, nor advertising the availability of test drives to resort guests. Sigh. That is so VCNA. Some things just never change...
The cars we are displaying are fully PDI'd and set up at the Port; no retailer gets involved, we are responsible for them.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The cars we are displaying are fully PDI'd and set up at the Port; no retailer gets involved, we are responsible for them.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess we can't blame the poorly set up XC90 on the local dealership, then. Like I said, some things just never change. I still think it is a great way to increase the visibility of the brand amongst a targeted demographic. Would you know if there is a company person on location to oversee the loan of cars from the demo fleet and answer questions from prospective buyers, or do they just deliver a few cars and hope somebody asks about them? Inquiring minds would like to know.

It occurs to me that if the event had been publicized locally, we might have been able to get Stan Holz to drive down from Whitefield, which is just a few miles north of Bretton Woods, check out the current crop of Volvos, and maybe even win him back from the dark side. I suspect that disenchantment with his MB C300 has already set in... :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
The XC60 R-Design just looks so perfect in Passion Red, doesn't it? On the S60/V60 R-Design I'd have to choose Rebel Blue myself, but Passion Red really does look great on Volvos, especially the way it blends with the tail lamps and is contrasted against the silver wheels and exterior trim.

Regarding the headrests, I've found that women in general tend to complain about them. Not just on the XC90, but on all Volvos in general. Maybe it's due to their preferred hair style (pony tails, buns, etc.) or their shorter torsos? Point is, headrests must be close to the back of the head, if not touching, for them to be most effective at reducing injuries in rear impact crashes. It kills me when I see cars in movies and television shows where they've removed the headrests to get a better shot. As a car guy, it stands out like a sore thumb and makes the scene even less believable. If they're worried about continuity the director should spend more effort so it's a non-issue. I think women just need a longer adjustment period to become acclimated to headrests that work as they should. !
Funny-- my wife's first comment about driving my new 2015.5 S60 was about how much she loved the headrest! My previous cars were Saabs, and her daily driver is a Q5.

Best regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny-- my wife's first comment about driving my new 2015.5 S60 was about how much she loved the headrest! My previous cars were Saabs, and her daily driver is a Q5.

Best regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The seats are different in the XC90. My wife loves the seats in our S60 as well.

FYI - I posted the same pictures and a similar report in a Toyota forum, lots of positive comments about Volvo in general!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think Mt. Washington Hotel has been participating this program for a while. My wife is from Littleton NH (20 minutes away) and now I remember seeing a few brand new Volvos with Mt. Washington Hotel logo driving around the town. At that time I thought they were corporate fleet vehicles/marketing for the Bretton Wood Resort employees.

I don't think this program is well publicized at all. I live in NH (southern NH/MA border) and I just found about this program from this post. I used to go to Lovering Volvo for service. (About 8 years but not anymore) I don't remember seeing or hearing about this program.

We may just have to go visit my in-law sometimes soon and stay at Mt.Washington Hotel! Gotta try the new XC90.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We may just have to go visit my in-law sometimes soon and stay at Mt.Washington Hotel! Gotta try the new XC90.
I'd go back there in a heart beat!! Sitting on the porch in the back with a nice glass of wine while gazing out at Mt. Washington is hard to beat. Book a different Volvo for each day you are there ... I would see people look at me when I pulled in to restaurants, shops, etc, so I would just strike up a conversation about the car. Felt a little bit like a Volvo ambassador, of course I only pointed out the great things about the car :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
What a great find.

Brilliant marketing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.