SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an alinement today cause I have alot of toe wear in the rear tires. The mechanic said he couldn't adjust the camber in the rear he said it could have something to do with my springs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I got an alinement today cause I have alot of toe wear in the rear tires. The mechanic said he couldn't adjust the camber in the rear he said it could have something to do with my springs. Any thoughts?
Rear camber is not adjustable in our cars. Often, when lowering springs are added, the camber can become severe. IPD sells bushings that allow you to decrease the camber up to 1.5 degrees.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What are your current alignment numbers? Before you go swap parts we should take a look at them. I'm actually more worried about your comments about toe wear than camber. There are solutions to both issues so don't worry it can be resolved.

-Ted

·
Registered
727 Posts
oh yay! one more thing to worry about when I get springs :(
No not really.I guess it depends on the car. On my car with the eibach springs i have -1.6 and -1.7 camber, just rotate my tires every 3000 miles and have had no problems with wear

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not sure on the alignment numbers. What else could cause the toe wear?
The wrong toe causes toe wear. The R has toe arms in the back that offers a limited amount of adjustment. Find a shop that knows what it's doing. I practically had to tutor one shop on how to align the car so make sure they are setting the rear toe properly. If there is not enough adjustment range there are aftermarket toe arms available that will take car of it. Even if the camber is slightly out of spec the wear should be reasonable as long as the toe is good. Bad toe is going to be far worse. You need to have those alignment numbers to know what to do next.

·
Registered
745 Posts
No not really.I guess it depends on the car. On my car with the eibach springs i have -1.6 and -1.7 camber, just rotate my tires every 3000 miles and have had no problems with wear
I was at -1.8 and -1.9 after installing the Eibachs with stock camber bushings. I later installed the IPD bushings but in hindsight I should have left it alone and tried it out for longer.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just had an alignment done. My rear suspension is all original with 137k miles except for new monroe shocks and eibach lowering springs (installed at the same time a few months ago). I was at -1.6 and -1.5 rear camber. I've been rotating my tires every oil change and hope the wear will stay relatively even..

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Are you calling edge wear on tires "toe wear"?
Is it the inside edges?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm currently running -1.2 in the front and -2.1 in the rear with no wear issues. I've had the front up to -1.5 and the rear at -2.5. But that did cause inside wear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts