SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a long story, but while in the process of replacing cam cover o rings, I lost the timing between the exhaust vvt timing gear And the cam. I didn’t tighten the single bolt holding the vvt gear to the cam tight enough AFTER I marked the gears and removed the cam lock tool. Btw- The intake cam is not vvt and is not a problem.
Just to paint a picture, I rotated the engine by hand, and the exhaust timing belt cog slipped. I turned the engine over several times and don’t know how much it slipped, but it did slip, as the timing marks on the tbelt cogs and crank lined up, but the slot at the other end of the camshafts did not come back into alignment. The intake was correct, but the exhaust slot was off by 90 degrees.

My question is this:
How can I re align the cams properly?
Can I visually match the cam lobes from the cam that slipped (exhaust) to the one that did not(intake)
I’ve read that if you lose the timing, you can’t get it back. That does not make sense to me.
Also, regarding the adjustment of the vvt inner cog (bolts to the cam) to the outer
gear (that the timing belt rides on)
Are there instructions on how to set that up? I am changing the head, and want to set up the vvt gear off of the engine.
Also, the intake timing belt gear does bolt directly to the cam with 3 bolts. The 3 bolt have elongated slots. Is there a procedure to properly set that position as well?
Thanks for reading, i appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am changing the head, and want to set up the vvt gear off of the engine.
If you are changing the head you simply use the cam holding when you put the cams back in, and you cannot set up the VVT gear (or there is no reason to) with the cams out of the head -

From your explanation it sounds like you moved the engine with the exhaust cam not turning? If so I would pay a capable machine shop to make sure there are no bent valves. They will need to adjust the valves if any work is done with replacement valves, or cutting new sealing surfaces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for for the prompt reply. I did bend a valve, I am replacing the head. I have the cam and crank locking tool.
Is there anyone who knows the procedure to re align the cams to the vvt timing gear?
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply. I do have the cam and crank looking tools. I am looking for the procedure to re align the timing belt cam gears to the cam. Do you, or anyone know where to find this info?!
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts