SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are those $50 cam lock and cam xo de tool kits on EBay for $50 good enough? I am replacing a head gasket on a 2004 xc70 and at the point of replacing the cams and cover. I see reviews that the bolt threads for the locks are bad and others that say the kits are great.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Bolts are fine but people overtighten them and they strip. Tool is meant to hold the cams and overtightening can either strip the bolt or if the bolt doesn't strip, overtightening can also split the back of the cam as the tool is tapered. Just tight enough to hold it in position is usually all that is needed. Now I will say that the cheapy tool will work if used properly but the quality is lower. The $200-400 tool is much nicer if you plan on using it more that a few times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you in pacific NW by any chance? I’ve got one for rent if you are...

I have the ebay one and worked awesome for me. The one for intake cam had too long of a bolt so it didn’t seat correctly, but if you put some washers onto it then no prob.

·
Registered
17,681 Posts
Kits decent but replace the bolts for the locks the ones in the kit are garbage. Had one break off in the intake cam of a single vvt motor on the way out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts