SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Volvo S60 T5
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Summer, I redid the head gasket on my '96 850 R. I took the cam cover in with the head to the machine shop and told the guy to just clean it up. It came back with some swirl marks, but it looked pretty good overall.

Ha ha. Well, I'm now needing to redo the cam cover for the third time as it leaks something fierce. I was going to just buy a new cam cover off of ebay, but in talking with a supplier, he said "The cam covers are matched and machined at the factory." FFFFUUUUUUUUU....!!!!!!!

So, now I'm left with a bit of a quandry. The way I see it, I have three options:

1. Buy a new cam cover off of eBay and hope for the best.
2. Have my current cover remachined. But, would that make the tolerances for the cam too tight?
3. Engine swap.

So, if you have any answers and/or advise, I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Cam covers are matched to the head, that's correct. I have heard of people swapping cam covers with success, but it's not a sure thing. If you have the time and parts, it can't hurt to try. When the head was machined, did it have any other work done to it internally? If a used cam cover doesn't fix the leak, perhaps it may be worthwhile to replace the head with a rebuilt head (new valve seals, etc).

Edit: Another thing that's worth mentioning is to make sure you're using the correct sealant. The cam cover (and oil pan) use anaerobic sealant. The OEM volvo sealant, which is pink in color, works best. Is that what you've been using?

·
Registered
2006 Volvo S60 T5
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. When I had the head in to be machined, I had new seals put in. Other than that, no other internal work.

Yep, I get the need for the correct sealant. First time I sealed it, I used OEM. Leak city. Second time, I used a Permatex anaerobic sealant. Somewhat better results, but still leaks aplenty.

I think that I'm going to give it a shot at trying a new cover. I figure if I can get the same year, MAYBE that'll help things. I'm not in a gigantic hurry. I don't drive it a bunch and it performs great, other than stinking and smoking some.

But, as always, I really appreciate everyone's input. This site is a great resource. If anyone else has ideas, I'd be more than glad to hear them.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Your odds are slim on getting a cam cover that will work correctly, but you can try. You will need to remove all the lifters, put the cams in torque the cover to spec and see if the cams turn freely. If they do it will work. If there is any resistance you will gall the bearing surfaces. Those swirl marks are from a stupid lazy machinist using those scotch brite style pads to clean the cover instead of cleaning it by hand or in a cleaning parts washer. Do yourself a favor and find another machine shop.

I have a clean head that I would sell you. It would need to be rebuilt and I could sell it to you rebuilt, but I don't have any unmatched cam covers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts