SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought an XC90 via OSD this past summer. I'm now deployed to Afghanistan and have the ability to take advantage of the following offer. I sold my old 4Runner before deploying, intending to buy something when I return next October(ish). However, this deal seems too good to pass up, and thus would be worth my wife having 2 cars to drive for a few months.

http://www.mideastmilitarysales.com/xc_promotion.php

First, based on what you see, is it truly a good deal? (I think it is, and without trying to upset anyone if I get a "better deal.")

Secondly, what do you LOVE about your XC60?

Finally, what do wish was different?

Thanks in advance to all who politely respond.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That is an awesome deal on a XC60 3.2 AWD Platinum and Climate. That's about $10k less than you can get them here. Jump on it!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
that is a fantastic deal! however, I wish it would be a T6 instead is 3.2.

I love my xc60 t6. the turbo kicks in just when you need it most. if you like your XC90. you will love the XC60 just based on design along.

however this seems like to be the almost fully loaded xc60 for the 3.2.

however, just want to give you a heads up that the 3.2 can not be added with polestar package. the are only offering that to the T6 models but who knows?!

-[•_•]-

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm pretty tired; but I can't find the model year on this offer. IF it's on the 2012, the deal is still good...just not AS good as the 2013. Also, will these include the Safe & Secure program? That's worth maybe a couple grand if the numbers work out just right.

I think you'd find the XC60 to be a sports car version of the 90...the 90 is a truck by comparison. I'd also vote for the T6 IF you could get it...but the 3.2 is no slouch, especially if you're coming from the V6 'runner.

Tough call; BUT I'm gonna say wait. We can't be sure what upgrades will come for next year. When you return, we'll be in the 2014 model year from just about all marques. Let's wait and see who has what. ;) Your wife may find the 90 to be bigger than you need or whatever. You could always do another OSD before you return and get about 'half' the deal but on exactly what you want.

By the bye, I traded our '10 T6 on the '13 Acura RDX. Went with FWD since I don't 'need' AWD. Pretty happy so far; but there are Volvo features that I wish I had and there are Acura features that our XC didn't have. The offer you have is essentially a fully loaded XC for the price of a base RDX...darned sweet. However, I'm afraid your savings would be minimized, at least on paper, by your coming home to a vehicle that is 1 or 2 model years old. Not a problem if you keep it for 10 years; but I sure wish you or your wife could derive some utility from the vehicle until you get back.

And...I know it's easy to say; but "Thank you for your service".

Adios,
CoachRick

·
Registered
12 Posts
This looks like a very good deal, price-wise. The features that I personally would want (T6 engine and "technology" package) would add quite a bit to the price quoted. It's not clear whether the Safe & Secure warranty is included, but even if not, the price is very good.

I just bought a 2013 XC60 T6 and like it very much so far. It is very pleasant for road trips - very comfortable seats, drives well, very quiet. The navigation system and bluetooth system work well. Based on my limited experience test-driving the XC60 and XC90, my guess is that you would enjoy driving the XC60 more than the XC90. Either on is a big improvement over the 4Runner.

I assume that you have checked to make sure that this is a legitimate offer and that the military sales organization has a bona fide relationship with Volvo.

Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies. It is a valid program, and it is for a MY2013. They build to order, similar to the OSD. So, if we order we'll set it up to be delivered stateside in June or July, essentially giving me (ok, the wife) a brand new car to drive when I get home. I haven't heard of any changes yet for the MY14, but this certainly has everything (perhaps minus the T6) we'd need/want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH, and the S+S is an additional $500, but worth it as it adds the 40k and 50k services, which each would be more than $500.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to add more confusion to you desission, but the facelifted version have been spotted in Gothenborg.
Sorry for my ignorance, but facelifted version? What does that mean??

·
Registered
11 Posts
In this case, I belive it will be new front, looking more like the new s40, new rear, minor details.
Interiour, probably the same headunit and instruments (all digital screens), again, same as S40.
This is my thoughts only, and nothing confirmed anywhere.
But, If you take delivery in june, july, you might get the new looks, if not I would consider waiting til after the summer holydays in Belgium,
assuming they clse the plant for 3 weeks, to acomodate the new "facelift".
Facelift by definition is a inbetween renewal of a existing model.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have both a MY2004 XC90 and a MY2011 XC60, and agree with coachrick's assesment in the ride difference. The XC90 is more rough like a truck where the XC60 rides much smoother more like a car. I have owned 6 Volvos since 1985 and the XC60 is by far the best vehicle. If you like the XC90 you will love the XC60. Enjoy and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My wife and I bought an XC90 via OSD this past summer. I'm now deployed to Afghanistan and have the ability to take advantage of the following offer. I sold my old 4Runner before deploying, intending to buy something when I return next October(ish). However, this deal seems too good to pass up, and thus would be worth my wife having 2 cars to drive for a few months.

http://www.mideastmilitarysales.com/xc_promotion.php

First, based on what you see, is it truly a good deal? (I think it is, and without trying to upset anyone if I get a "better deal.")

Secondly, what do you LOVE about your XC60?

Finally, what do wish was different?

Thanks in advance to all who politely respond.
We also bought our MY12 XC60 T6 via OSD last December. From the config on the offer you linked, I think the big things you might miss are some of the items in the tech package, especially LDW and collision warning. I know my wife -- the XC60 is mostly her car -- likes the added safety. The advanced safety systems are worth the price, if you can add them.

I value the comfort of the XC60 -- those seats are like thrones. The car feels solid, but handling is lumbering at best. I've had real problems with the selling dealer's service but I've found another dealer who seems to know the car better.

I really dislike Sensus and the nav. I also have an MY12 BMW 335i (an F30) and iDrive is far better, with a bigger screen and better maps. The XC60's transmission shifts poorly -- I have a distinct bog under light acceleration when shifting into third gear. Two trips to to the dealer to re-program the TCM haven't made a difference. The manual says the car has a Sport mode (which would fix that problem). But it doesn't. The other thing I dislike is that I rarely see a male driving the XC60, at least here in Boston. It's a chick car.

If you are going to be able to get a build-to-order unit, you might consider adding at least active cruise control (which gets you the very effective collision warning) and seeing if you can get some of the OSD-only style options. In my Ice White car, we have a GB10 interior and optional light wood inserts. That combo cannot be had in a dealer-ordered car. I like that I was able to create my own "limited edition" interior.

I do like the car, but it's not one I can get all that excited about. My wife is a nurse and has to get to her hospital in all kinds of nasty New England weather; an XC60 with AWD, ABS and EBD makes that easier when roads are in bad shape during severe winter weather. She could care less about how it handles. For her, cars are appliances and the XC60 is a nice one. It's a passionless relationship.

Good luck to you -- come home safe.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
We also bought our MY12 XC60 T6 via OSD last December. From the config on the offer you linked, I think the big things you might miss are some of the items in the tech package, especially LDW and collision warning. I know my wife -- the XC60 is mostly her car -- likes the added safety. The advanced safety systems are worth the price, if you can add them.

I value the comfort of the XC60 -- those seats are like thrones. The car feels solid, but handling is lumbering at best. I've had real problems with the selling dealer's service but I've found another dealer who seems to know the car better.

I really dislike Sensus and the nav. I also have an MY12 BMW 335i (an F30) and iDrive is far better, with a bigger screen and better maps. The XC60's transmission shifts poorly -- I have a distinct bog under light acceleration when shifting into third gear. Two trips to to the dealer to re-program the TCM haven't made a difference. The manual says the car has a Sport mode (which would fix that problem). But it doesn't. The other thing I dislike is that I rarely see a male driving the XC60, at least here in Boston. It's a chick car.

If you are going to be able to get a build-to-order unit, you might consider adding at least active cruise control (which gets you the very effective collision warning) and seeing if you can get some of the OSD-only style options. In my Ice White car, we have a GB10 interior and optional light wood inserts. That combo cannot be had in a dealer-ordered car. I like that I was able to create my own "limited edition" interior.

I do like the car, but it's not one I can get all that excited about. My wife is a nurse and has to get to her hospital in all kinds of nasty New England weather; an XC60 with AWD, ABS and EBD makes that easier when roads are in bad shape during severe winter weather. She could care less about how it handles. For her, cars are appliances and the XC60 is a nice one. It's a passionless relationship.

Good luck to you -- come home safe.
I'm also considering F30 but with xdrive....in boston do you drive your RWD F30 and just put Blizzaks on?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, thank you all for kind sentiments on my safety while deployed. Trust me, we're doing the best we can! :)

Secondly, I'm happy to report that I submitted the paperwork today along with a deposit on a 2013 XC60. We'll save $8-10k (depending on taxes) versus what we could get the same vehicle from dealer, so it's too good to pass up. We'll pick it up when I'm home on R&R in July. And though I'll get to drive it for a couple of weeks, I'm sure it will be the wife's car. But that's ok--I'll be "stuck" with the XC90.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, thank you all for kind sentiments on my safety while deployed. Trust me, we're doing the best we can! :)

Secondly, I'm happy to report that I submitted the paperwork today along with a deposit on a 2013 XC60. We'll save $8-10k (depending on taxes) versus what we could get the same vehicle from dealer, so it's too good to pass up. We'll pick it up when I'm home on R&R in July. And though I'll get to drive it for a couple of weeks, I'm sure it will be the wife's car. But that's ok--I'll be "stuck" with the XC90.
Congrats on starting the paperwork for the new XC60. I purchased a 2011 XC60 R Design at the beginning of last year using the Volvo Military Sales program like you did. You can't beat the deals the military sales program offers and I saved around $10K off the US price of ours. Depending on your job in the military you might have been able to purchase from stateside using the program like I did. I'm an Air Force pilot stationed stateside and would routinely go on TDYs every month overseas. While passing through Germany one one mission I found out about the program and when I got back stateside I asked my local dealer if they could order a vehicle using the Military Sales Program. They looked into it and found out they could do it since I had multiple overseas TDY orders. I got the same discount price and it included Safe and Secure. It was the first time my dealer had ordered through the program but delivery and pickup was a breeze. Anyway, just a thought in case you wanted to delay your order so your wife didn't have two cars to deal with or in case you wanted to wait till you got home from your deployment to see if the new model year had any changes. If you go to the official Volvo Military Sales website it says you can even get your deal up to 30 days after you get home from an overseas assignment. Because of the huge savings we were getting with the program we went for the T6 R Design to maximize what we got and were super happy with it.

To answer your other questions, I recently sold my XC60 because my family outgrew it but we loved that car. We wish it had a little more cargo room and second row legroom. Also the fuel economy could have been better. Over 25,000 miles our lifetime MPG average was around 19 MPG. This was the T6 engine but we had hoped for a higher average fuel economy.

Things I loved about the car: the steering wheel for one. It is thick and the the steering was spot on in my opinion. You feel connected to the road and it was fun on twisty roads. The seats are super comfortable and my wife and I both joke we wish we could have moved our Volvo seats to our new car. The XC60 is fun to drive! Find a twisty road or a long on ramp and we always got grins on our faces. There are not a lot of XC60s on the road, especially in R Design trim, so we never felt like we blended in with all of the other crossovers out there and we always got complimented and were asked about our Volvo when out and about. Also, it was comfortable on long drives and never gave us any trouble for the 28,000 ish miles we owned it.

Congrats again and stay safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts