SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Calling all S60 2019 owners (passenger side mirror)

Quick question for you s60 owners...can you guys check your passenger side mirror and notice if it won't open all the way? Specifically, it won't extend as far as your driver side mirror?

Pic of the mirror, check the angle...uploaded both the passenger side mirror (green lines) and the driver side mirror (straight).

passenger side mirror (not all the way extended):

https://imgur.com/Ene069B

driver side mirror (fully extended)

https://imgur.com/SMGWFwH

I just dropped off my vehicle to get this issue + another issue resolved and they gave me another S60 back. Well turns out the loaner has the same issue, right side mirror won't extend all the way. Highly doubt both have the EXACT same issue (although it's definitely possible), so wondering if it's by design??

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Give this a try: (from user's manual)

Resetting the mirrors' position

A mirror that has been moved out of position manually (e.g. hit or bumped into) must be electrically returned to its normal position for automatic folding to function properly.

1. Fold in the mirrors by pressing the L and R buttons at the same time.
2. Open them again by pressing the L and R buttons at the same time.
3. Repeat the above procedure as needed. The mirrors are now reset to their original positions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give this a try: (from user's manual)

Resetting the mirrors' position

A mirror that has been moved out of position manually (e.g. hit or bumped into) must be electrically returned to its normal position for automatic folding to function properly.

1. Fold in the mirrors by pressing the L and R buttons at the same time.
2. Open them again by pressing the L and R buttons at the same time.
3. Repeat the above procedure as needed. The mirrors are now reset to their original positions.
I have multiple times..my car and the loaner s60 exhibit the same behavior...almost seems like the passenger side mirror extension was on purpose only 60-70% of the drivers side to account for a easier viewing angle???

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for ruining my perception of perfect car!
Our 2019 S60 RDesign has the same asymmetric outside mirrors.

One would think that internal mechanism would allow mirror movement that requires no external housing adjustment but it seems to not be a case in 2019 S60 case.
I wonder if V60 has the same feature.

Krzyś

PS You do have an eye for detail!

·
Registered
58 Posts
V60 is the same. Wonder how it looks on the models without auto folding mirrors.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Maybe it's an aerodynamic issue.
Mirror housings are tucked inward (out of the wind) as far as possible while still allowing full visual adjustment range.
That gives the passenger side a few degrees more tuck-in.
In the old days with flat mirrors and no housings, passenger side was always angled in a little more for proper visibility.

I guess you could position the passenger side housing out into the wind more to match the driver side for "anal" symmetry.
But you might create a few ounces of increased drag. :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
What if you exchange the right mirror with someone who drives a RHD car? Or order RHD cars right mirror?
Well now why would you want to do that?? The purpose is to have the mirrors at the correct angles for the driver, who is obviously offset inside the car in the left or right seat depending on the country.

This is just one way to do that, very common though. I have a history of importing power folding mirrors for Subarus so I know far too much about how these things work, interestingly they have typically done it another way, the mirrors are symmetrically mounted to the car, but the internals of the mirror have different spacers on the adjustment mechanism for the glass, offsetting the angle appropriate for the proper RHD or LHD range of adjustment.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
That just suggests the Subaru didn't optimize for aero. Somebody weighed parts interchangeability vs visual design symmetry vs aerodynamics and aero lost out to the other two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well now why would you want to do that?? The purpose is to have the mirrors at the correct angles for the driver, who is obviously offset inside the car in the left or right seat depending on the country.
I understand why the passenger side mirror is in a different position, but if you want a symmetrical look, then this is probably the only option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is absolutely normal, for many cars. It has to be like that, to allow full visibility on any individual drivers seating position, and its opposite on RHD cars.
It’s not normal. Viewing angles are supposed to be set by individually adjusting mirrors itself (glass part) not by whole casing. I have the same problem and I have an appointment at Volvo next week.
I have also an additional problem. Mirrors are not folding at all from time to time when car is being locked and I think it may be connected with the case mentioned above.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I...don't...think I want to understand this thread. Haha. It might be better for my sanity.

·
Registered
853 Posts
OK y'all are crazy up in here. I normally try not to engage when people are being silly but I guess sometimes you just have to indulge a little lol.

That just suggests the Subaru didn't optimize for aero. Somebody weighed parts interchangeability vs visual design symmetry vs aerodynamics and aero lost out to the other two.
And you know that how? Aerodynamics is an objective study that has proven time and again like many disciplines, what "looks like" is quite often not what "is". That's why wind tunnels exist. For the record I think you are spot on the conclusion though, parts interchangeability is likely the driver there.

It’s not normal. Viewing angles are supposed to be set by individually adjusting mirrors itself (glass part) not by whole casing. I have the same problem and I have an appointment at Volvo next week.
I don't understand, you are refuting facts?? I have imported and disassembled a number of RHD mirrors to swap to LHD for various brands. This is how its done. I already explained the mfr either mounts the mirrors at different angles (what Volvo does), or they design the mirror case such that the angles for each orientation be achieved by altering the glass mounting inside the housing.

To give you some insight, mirror design plays a part. The Volvo mirrors have a fairly large lip around the edge, the mirror is recessed into the housing a fair bit. If you were to mount a "driver's side" right hand mirror angle on the car, two things would happen:

1.) The adjustment range would be limited. Depending on your height and preferences it may work, obviously there is adjustability still, but you will be at the limits of the range.
2.) The lip of the mirror may encroach into the mirror view as the housing is not at the optimal angle, especially with the required wide angle right hand glass. Again depends on your anatomy and preferences.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
OK y'all are crazy up in here...

And you know that how? Aerodynamics is an objective study that has proven time and again like many disciplines, what "looks like" is quite often not what "is". That's why wind tunnels exist. For the record I think you are spot on the conclusion though, parts interchangeability is likely the driver there.

I know that aerodynamics dictates you "tuck those mirror housings in" as much as possible for maximum "go fast". If you can tuck one in a little more than the other, do it. But be prepared for the more anal of stylists' complaints about "lack of symmetry". That's why I'm not sure the Subaru case was decided strictly on parts interchangeability grounds. I think aero took a back seat to styling too.

If I had full "real time" control of both housing tuck and mirror glass position, I would tuck both housings in as far as possible while still preserving the correct image with the glass angle -- at the limit of its range. Symmetry be damned!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts