SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home last night on the highway when my 3rd Eye TPMS alarm goes off... losing PSI quickly in my left rear tire. I picked up a bolt in the sidewall; tire is trash. But that's not the end of the story. I pulled into a Shell station to air the thing up to get me home, only problem is, I couldn't get the valve stem cap off. In fact, I couldn't get ANY of the caps off. At first I thought it was a prank.. My caps are Heicos and made of chrome or other metal. Anyway, I limped home with 9 PSI, and took it into Telle Tire this morning. They called to tell me that all of my caps were frozen on, caused apparently by an interaction with the metal on the sensor and the chrome cap. He told me they could try and get the caps off, but there's a chance they'll just break off, so essentially I'm going to have to order all new sensors. And that opens up another can of worms.. as according to Viva's Web site, they're out of stock. Anyway, my R is now sporting a set of three Heicos with *welded* caps, and a spare
. Anyone have any advice? George?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Use some PB penetrant and see if the caps come off..

that sucks. If necessary I would probably dismount the tire, and then hold hte sensor from the inside, while forcefully twisting the cap.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Use some PB penetrant and see if the caps come off..

that sucks. If necessary I would probably dismount the tire, and then hold hte sensor from the inside, while forcefully twisting the cap.

Wonder if heat would work? I'm going to try some lube too. Never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
same thing happened to me - has nothing to do with TPMS

The valve stem and the cover are two different metals - a bit of water gets in, a chemical reaction occurs - dremel time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Bender)

Good news.. George called me tonight & I've got a new set of valve stems headed my way. Although they may not look as nice as chrome/metal, this was a good (and expensive) learning lesson - I'm staying with plastic caps from now on. -Scott

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: (juve021)

Quote, originally posted by juve021 »
uhh easy way to avoid this is to put alittle touch of grease on the inside of the cap b4 installing
+1
Always when using any type of metallic valve cap

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (bschurr)

That's why I use gold caps - nothing "cold welds" to gold, plus its major BLING!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

I'm stealing thoes next time I see uR caR.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (juve021)

Quote, originally posted by juve021 »
uhh easy way to avoid this is to put alittle touch of grease on the inside of the cap b4 installing

Depends on how well and how long the grease holds up. I got lazy & just check the monitor on occasion to see how my tires are doing instead of taking a gauge manually to them. And since my tires really haven't leaked much air over the summer, I've left the caps alone. I've had metallic-type caps on my Volvos for 15 years & never had an issue like this, without grease.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

I'm stealing thoes next time I see uR caR.

Good luck getting them off - I had to Gorilla Glue them on, so they would stop being stolen.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »

Good luck getting them off - I had to Gorilla Glue them on, so they would stop being stolen.

I'm gonna slash your tires since your being a b*tch about your gold valve stem covers.

Or I'll just take your gold lug bolts, or are thoes gorilla glued on too?

either way, your gonna get 4 flats unless I get 4 gold valve stem covers.

Actually I want 5, one for the spare.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

I'm gonna slash your tires since your being a b*tch about your gold valve stem covers.

Or I'll just take your gold lug bolts, or are thoes gorilla glued on too?

either way, your gonna get 4 flats unless I get 4 gold valve stem covers.

Actually I want 5, one for the spare.

Seriously, that is some funny sh*t right there!

By the way I just installed solid rubber tires so slash all you want, ain't nut'n going pop these biatches! Solid tires rule, they remind me of the wagon wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts