SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to paint the rotor hubs and calipers before the ipd meet, and although it's not a real challenging project, there are a few things that might help keep you out of trouble.

I decided to go with the G2 brush-on system from ipd ($46) since I didn't want to take the calipers off nor get into a bunch of masking nonsense. This is what you get in the kit

Paint (note the can is about 1/2 full so don't go ballistic when you open it), a bottle of catalyst (gives you about 4 hours to do the job so clean first then mix), a brush (go to the hardware store and buy a couple more - soldering flux brushes - since they do gum up), a can of brake cleaner (they claim this is some kind of superdeluxextraspecial cleaner, so I did the first passes with some Brakekleen then followed up with the G2 cleaner), and a nice little G2 ad patch for the trunk lid.

As with most things, the success of the project is in how clean the starting materials are. I probably spent a good 2 hours detergent washing first, Brakekleen and toothbrushing, then Brakekleen and wiping with a rag. Spray liberally and wipe - if you see guck, spray and toothbrush again. Then do a final clean with the G2 cleaner to remove any paint non-sticking chemical the Brakekleen may have left.

Open the can, dump in the catalyst and stir well. It's real gunky on the bottom of the can so make sure you get a good homogenous mixture before you start painting. Now it's just a matter of paint application. Start on the inside of the caliper (so you don't end up with a nice imprint of the caliper on your fav garage shirt - you don't want to know how I know this . . .) and do all 4 backs first. It gives them a bit of time to "tack up" for the second coat while you do the fronts and sides. The first coat looks just awful - very streaky and bad coverage but don't worry, it will fix itself with the second coat and during curing

Bad lighting - it's really red

Go from one to the next (the tack thing again), then touch up the backs if you need to, then start the second coat on the fronts. You will notice a much better coverage and less streaking the second time around (more the true color)

then when it drys, the brush marks really flatten out and give a pretty nice smooth and even coating.

I got the brembo decals from Ikon Sign (Amazon) $16.50 with shipping.

Put them on and I thought WTF??? They really looked "decally"

but with time, the edge effect gradually went away and unless you look close they look pretty OK.

And the final touch is the G2 decal

A couple of other calipers seen at the ipd meet. Thought I had taken a bunch but I can only find two :facepalm:

Hope this give you some incentive to start your caliper project and that it may give you some mind relief when you get halfway through and the "holy s**t this looks soooooo bad" creeps in.

No I didn't leave the trunk decal on . . .

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Looks great but I have to ask, you did remove the clear back masking didn't you? lol

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Looks good, but your Brembo decal is on upside down.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Why did you lay the paint so thick that the screw holes on the calipers got "filled" in? You were supposed to do several light coats until the coating was no longer transparent. Not 1-2 thick coats that covered the caliper details like that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks good Chuck. Thanks for the writeup and pics. I am thjinking about doing the wifes XC90 so this helps.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Lol, I like how every single comment in the thread is someone criticizing you....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
True rmorse - everyone's a critic!

Thanks for the thread, I'm planning on doing mine when I have a little time. For the longest time I wanted yellow but I've decided to go gold with red Brembo stickers instead, just like the "05/19/2012" picture above. If you're happy with the results, than good job.

And, maybe it's just my eyes, but it doesn't look to me like the G2 sticker is actually applied to his trunk, moreso just taped on maybe. I wouldn't apply it personally either.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I wasn't hatin I just was wondering thats all :) I think it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Looks great but I have to ask, you did remove the clear back masking didn't you? lol"

Yep I did. Looks like the caliper heating "blended" the edge effect - seems better anyway.

"Looks good, but your Brembo decal is on upside down."

Yep - checked some google images, went to the shop and old dyslexia kicks in.

"Why did you lay the paint so thick that the screw holes on the calipers got "filled" in? You were supposed to do several light coats until the coating was no longer transparent. Not 1-2 thick coats that covered the caliper details like that."

Kinda why I posted this so people could see what I did, right or wrong, and someone else could post the correct methods. See! It worked beautifully!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
"Looks good, but your Brembo decal is on upside down."

Yep - checked some google images, went to the shop and old dyslexia kicks in.
I hate when that happens :D

More seriously, I like the red color, well done sir.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Graffiti post - "Dyslexics Untie!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nice thread chuck! I've got the G2 kit now and "someday" I'll put it on over my duplicolor kit to offer a comparison.

Assuming it turns out all right I'll put my brembo decals on and probably give 'em a little clearcoat to help keep everything clean and tidy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used G2 and was happy with the results. Mine is the yellow with the Heicos. Looks a lot better then the "OReilly" stuff. I've used both. Better finish and cleans up better. My paint lasted a little over 5 hours, I put the lid on when I was in between wheels. Good idea with the flux brush, i just used skinny cheap hardware store brushes. The stuff does run if you put it on too thick, beware.
Oh, I also put my brembo sticker on backwards too. My kid straighten me out though.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Everybody is a critic, I used to own my own shop powder coating and I would still fudge things up all the time. I just kept a 55 gal drum of real stripper b17 from benco.

15 sec in there and even 2 coats of powder were gone after a little rinse.

Who cares if the brembo sticker is upside down, it's not like it affects braking.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Who cares if the brembo sticker is upside down, it's not like it affects braking.
You obviously don't suffer from OCD like some of us here :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just finished a session of caliper repainting with a G2 kit and it came out better than I expected. It does take some prep work and you do have to be careful not to lay it on too thick (especially the second coat) but I am really happy with the outcome.

I went with blue paint and white vinyl "R" decals from Sweetgraffix -- it was really easy to make sure they are on the right way ;)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ agreed, that blue is quite sexy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Used G2 about a year and a half ago and it still looks great, no fading at all. I did mine in black which looks good but now that I have black wheels, I'm going to use the G2 Porsche Boxster orange caliper kit at some point to change my calipers to this color...... costs a little more than the regular kit but it would match atacama well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts