SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm getting a custom exhaust made for my 05 SR this week. I would like to do a downpipe as well as I will have more potential for flow with the new exhaust.
Has anyone from California done a 3" catted downpipe and still been able to pass smog? The guy at the muffler shop said it wouldn't pass, but I am skeptical that a smog shop will really jack my car up to look underneath to check if it's a California approved cat.
I have already looked into registering my car out of a nearby smog exempt town

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
my 3" ipd downpipe with cat passed in san diego. I even have a 90 degree O2 adapter to make sure it doesn't hit the driveshaft. As long as the car is in good working order you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I passed with my 3" catted CNT downpipe with a spacer. That said, there is no catted 3" downpipe on the market for these cars that is CARB certified. If you go to a really thorough, strictly by the book shop, and they inspect your DP and its aftermarket cat, you'll fail inspection.

I ate $90 when I went to a local shop and they failed me on the spot for my PhMIC. A downpipe is less obvious and many shops don't dig that deep or investigate.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had pretty bad luck with my '07 VR with an IPD DP, because the cat used is for a late 90's Escalade (it's a Magnaflow cat). It turns out the cat is CARB approved, just not on my Volvo. But what all but one shop failed to check was the Amendment document to the approved CARB list. The cat was originally approved for up to an '04 R. Well then the Amendment approved the cat up to an '06 R, but not an '07!

So with an '05 and and IPD DP, you should be fine, and I'll even dig up the Amendment that shows your car is approved with that DP. Then take that doc to the emissions test for the inspector to see. Most testers only check the online database, but fail to check the Amendment to CARB.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If that's the case, be sure to chime back in with the particulars on that amendment. From what I can tell, even IPD themselves have no idea that their DP is CARB certified for some R's.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The Executive Order that needs to be referenced, that now approves Magnaflow cats, is D-193-125 (updated 23 SEP 2015). If IPD could switch future DP cats to Magnaflow P/N's 546055, 546056, and 546738, they would then be able to say their DP cats are CARB approved. This is applicable to both the S60 R and V70 R. I just hope the cats would meet flow rates for performance needs. :)

Still looking up the P/N for the current IPD cats within an older Executive Order.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The Executive Order that needs to be referenced, that now approves Magnaflow cats, is D-193-125 (updated 23 SEP 2015). If IPD could switch future DP cats to Magnaflow P/N's 546055, 546056, and 546738, they would then be able to say their DP cats are CARB approved. This is applicable to both the S60 R and V70 R. I just hope the cats would meet flow rates for performance needs. :)

Still looking up the P/N for the current IPD cats within an older Executive Order.

The OP's question is regarding a 3" inlet/3" outlet configuration. Those P/N's are for 2.25" inlet/2.25" outlet catalytic converters. They are OEM replacements. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that there is no EO authorizing any unit that's beyond the OEM dimensions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's is up to 2.5" that is California carb approved. This is all very helpful information though, thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
For the price of IPD's, you could buy the OBX catless, buy a CARB approved Vibrant racing cat, have it all welded together, and still not spend as much.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If IPD could switch future DP cats to Magnaflow P/N's 546055, 546056, and 546738, they would then be able to say their DP cats are CARB approved. This is applicable to both the S60 R and V70 R. I just hope the cats would meet flow rates for performance needs. :)

No can do amigo. The cat that's approved has a 2 3/8 or 2 1/2" inlet and outlet and would require some modification to make them work correctly. The cats that are used are the 448009 and utilize the 3" inlet and outlet. They do not meet the CARB specs because they must match the factory inlet and outlet size to be CARB legal even thought the cat I've chosen exceeds the factory catalytic specification.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
With all my modes I'm still running the IPD down pipe. Also passed Smog on the initial test years ago

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For the price of IPD's, you could buy the OBX catless, buy a CARB approved Vibrant racing cat, have it all welded together, and still not spend as much.
Do you have a link to this CARB approved Vibrant unit? I don't think there is one. Certainly not a 3" x 3" example.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can't really say how hard they looked at the cat, but I've passed multiple times with a full TME exhaust.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Do you have a link to this CARB approved Vibrant unit? I don't think there is one. Certainly not a 3" x 3" example.
You can't run any Vibrant exhaust parts. They are known to cause cancer to the state of California.

I think the way California works, you have to have a CARB certified cat that they certified for YOUR vehicle. You can't just buy any CARB certified cat on the market. This is why the people above are referencing the 2-1/2" inlet/outlet model. It's beyond retarded because even if you pass the sniffer test, it's still illegal unless you run the specific aftermarket cat that they certified for your vehicle. I could never live n CA, too much of this government control BS.

Also for brothermatt, did you pass a sniffer test with the CNT or was it just a "plug into OBDII check"? Did they do a visual check?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No can do amigo. The cat that's approved has a 2 3/8 or 2 1/2" inlet and outlet and would require some modification to make them work correctly. The cats that are used are the 448009 and utilize the 3" inlet and outlet. They do not meet the CARB specs because they must match the factory inlet and outlet size to be CARB legal even thought the cat I've chosen exceeds the factory catalytic specification.
I didn't think of the the 3" inlet/outlet...if only...

BTW, I texted you yesterday evening trying to figure this out. ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In the end, my DP built by 300+_T5R_855 passed. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can't run any Vibrant exhaust parts. They are known to cause cancer to the state of California.

I think the way California works, you have to have a CARB certified cat that they certified for YOUR vehicle. You can't just buy any CARB certified cat on the market. This is why the people above are referencing the 2-1/2" inlet/outlet model. It's beyond retarded because even if you pass the sniffer test, it's still illegal unless you run the specific aftermarket cat that they certified for your vehicle. I could never live n CA, too much of this government control BS.

Also for brothermatt, did you pass a sniffer test with the CNT or was it just a "plug into OBDII check"? Did they do a visual check?
Didn't realize this. Guess it's good you can't see under my car. I put my OEM exhaust back on for smog checks. Also, keep in mind they only do visual and OBD checks for our cars. So as long as the shop doesn't jack your car up and look for the CARB stamp, you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts