SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make something like R Kelly CAI by myself, so I get some questions. Which diameter of hose are there in R Kelly/IPD's CAI? Would it be efficient, if I'd use a bigger diameter hose expecting more cold air flow, base on "more flow = more power"?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm just listening here because I want to make my own as well

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Any clue where I can get that type of hose for a decent price? My local Lowes, Home Depot, Advanced and Auto Zone didnt have any...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Any clue where I can get that type of hose for a decent price? My local Lowes, Home Depot, Advanced and Auto Zone didnt have any...
I believe it's just dryer hose. But you could also call up IPD and see how much they charge for roughly 3' of their hose
To the OP search the user stealthys60r. He had a good write up on a home made 3" ram intake. A few others have gone the DIY route. Also see if you can dig up rkelly's old threads on the issue, you could also pm him.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I made mine out of RV/camper sewage pipe which is a reinforced silicone pipe. 10ft long for $3 at walmart. Then I went to home depot and picked up a PVC scoop with a 3" opening out the back. Put them together and I had an awesome R-Kelly intake for 1/8th the price of IPD.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I too made my own and have a write up in my signature

GL, its not that hard.

LINK : LINKY

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought, that R Kelly's first CAI version was with the 2,5" hose, but as seen on pics below, IPD's version has 2" hose. Will it be efficient, if I'll use bigger hose, like 2,5"-3"? ("more flow = more power")

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too made my own and have a write up in my signature

GL, its not that hard.

LINK : LINKY
link is not working. :( i'd use a search for your started thread, but had not found any thread about your custom CAI. please, give a correct link, i'm very interesting in 3" cai.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just replaced my original KellyCAI hose with IPD. Less than $20.00 with clamps and much better than the original.

Old original in "bad" shape. Heat really cooked it.

New IPD version is smooth and more durable.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I drilled a 3" hole thru the air box, the splash guard behind the fog grill, then cut my grills and used the 3" hole saw to notch the grill slightly. I then went to home depot and picked up some 3" aluminum hard flexible duct and two matching aluminum conector pieces. I took one and made several snips around the top so that when it was fed thru the bottom of the air box I could fold the tabs down agains the floor like an upside down top hat. Then I hooked up the duct and fed it down thru the engine bay to the driver side fog housing. I trimmed the remaining duct material and inserted the other adapter. I misted the lower portion with some flat black paint and and reinstalled the fog grill so that the adapter rests in the notches I had previously drilled. Worked great.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, tuscani, nice pictured manual! i'm thinking to go the same way. btw, what do you think, if i'd use an aluminium flex hoses, instead of plastic ones? would it better and long-lived?

·
Registered
9,225 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Thanks!!

thanks, tuscani, nice pictured manual! i'm thinking to go the same way. btw, what do you think, if i'd use an aluminium flex hoses, instead of plastic ones? would it better and long-lived?
Thanks!! I wouldn't go aluminum for a couple reasons: 1. agreeing with most/dougy, salt roads will eventually corrode and break down the aluminum. 2. Aluminum bends/kinks, if you hit something and it bends up, it never comes back to exact original shape again, just the way it works. I'd stick with the high plastic, the one I chose in the pictures are very hard, had a 'fun' time bending and wrapping but it is stiff/durable.

GL, let us know if you need help!

Keoni.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used 2" central vac hose but found I wasn't getting enough flow so I upgraded to 3" abs and seems to work really well. One 90 degree elbow and the pipe is smooth for better flow.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I thought, that R Kelly's first CAI version was with the 2,5" hose, but as seen on pics below, IPD's version has 2" hose. Will it be efficient, if I'll use bigger hose, like 2,5"-3"? ("more flow = more power")
I'm not sure in this instance more flow = more power. I think that smaller diameter = higher flow velocity which might be more important for this application.

I started my R Kelly intake today....

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Gahhh...I'm all for people saving money and sheet, but the R crew is turning into a bunch of cheap bastards. You all want people to keep producing products for your R's, but when they do you just find a jenky custom way to do it. The only custom thing I've done is the quad exhaust because no one offered it, but if iPd did I would have bought theirs. I know I'll get sh*t for this comment, but damn guy, you're your own worst enemies.

Sent from my Military Air Portable

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Gahhh...I'm all for people saving money and sheet, but the R crew is turning into a bunch of cheap bastards. You all want people to keep producing products for your R's, but when they do you just find a jenky custom way to do it. The only custom thing I've done is the quad exhaust because no one offered it, but if iPd did I would have bought theirs. I know I'll get sh*t for this comment, but damn guy, you're your own worst enemies.

Sent from my Military Air Portable
Almost every mod for this car is something someone did custom then the vendors picked it up and charged for it. Just let people do what they want. If they wanna buy it from one of the vendors so be it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Almost every mod for this car is something someone did custom then the vendors picked it up and charged for it. Just let people do what they want. If they wanna buy it from one of the vendors so be it.
+1 for DIY

It's more rewarding.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts