SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the cabin filter was included in the regular free Volvo service performed at the dealer? My AC system is blowing some pretty smelly air and I'm starting to think it was never changed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, the cabin filter was changed, but only with my 20,000 mile service. It was not included in the other services so I did it myself.

BTW, what bad smell are you getting? If it is a "rotten egg" sulfur smell, then it may be a sign that one of your batteries has a bad cell and is about to die. This recently happened to me. There is a separate thread about this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
The SPA maintenance chart says the Cabin Air filter to be replaced every 20k miles. So yes, the filter will be replaced once in your 3 free services with Volvo.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It smells like a wet rag that never dried. I just had my 20k service about 6k miles ago so I wonder what else it could be. How do I access the cabin filter myself? I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It smells like a wet rag that never dried. I just had my 20k service about 6k miles ago so I wonder what else it could be. How do I access the cabin filter myself? I'd like to check it out.

Here is cabin filter access video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXTPzRBx2k

Wet rag makes it sound like you have water collecting. Have you checked carpet under mats, etc?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Last night I was cleaning out leaves and pine needles that snuck in under the hood around the wipers. Any chance some organic matter is decaying in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I was cleaning out leaves and pine needles that snuck in under the hood around the wipers. Any chance some organic matter is decaying in the engine compartment?
I'll give it a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts

Check all floor mats and the flooring below the mats for any dampness.

Also, check your 20k mile service job sheet for mention of Cabin Filter/In-Dash Micro Pollen Filter.

Below is an excerpt of what my Job #8 looks like in my recently done 40k mile service.

" Job #8: 02VOXPOLLEN: Replace Cabin Filter. Replace in Dash A/C Micro Pollen Filter
Labor = $40.00
Parts [(31407748-8 Multi Filter $45.00) and (7083V Frigi Fresh $12.95)] = $57.95
Misc [(DSV010 Service Discount 10%), (DPV010 Parts Discount 10%)] = -$9.80
Charges: $40.00 + $57.95 - $9.80 = $88.15"

·
Banned
1,958 Posts

There may be a video or two on youtube of someone changing out their cabin filter on a newer Volvo but good luck getting answers from actual Volvo technicians, a lot of them don't like to share information to do-it-yourselfers, maybe they are afraid of losing cabin filter jobs. Lol

You could always just purchase the manual, the actual book, or there may be a CD.

Keep in mind that the hvac system may build up condensation inside from running the air conditioning. That could be what youre smelling. There also could be debris in the system, leaves, etc.

When I worked for toyota once in a while a car would come in with this similar issue and it was the system clogged with leaves and water. There was a valve on this particular car I can remember where we would blast compressed air up inside and all the junk would come flowing out.

Is that's what's happening with your vehicle? No clue, some Volvo techs who want to give away information would have to chime in.

That's another reason why I like the Lexus/Toyota platforms, and Honda/Acura, because they have a larger number of people who share information and work on cars themselves. Most Volvo people are get in a drive and let the dealer or a mechanic perform the maintenance on their vehicle.

Forums used to be a great place for car enthusiasts to share information, and some still are, but then that one company went around and bought them all up from the sell out admins and now most popular car forums are owned by one group of douchebags who went and stuck ads in between every post unless you're logged in. Plus, then Facebook/NSAbook became popular and many sheeple migrated there.

·
Registered
859 Posts

A smell of old gym socks comes from mold growth from the AC.
Go back to dealer and they will spray floral scent mold inhibitor into the system. Happens if moisture hangs around too long. not a big deal.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Here's one video, I didn't watch all of it.

For a cabin filter though, that removal process is a pain. That's another reason why I love Lexus and Toyota, they are brilliantly logical in their design. Their cabin filter is located behind the glove box with only two plastic covers that are held on with two plastic clips that easily pop off, no tools needed.

This Volvo cabin filter is way under the foot well where it's kind of a pain in the arse to get to. Also, you will definitely want to spend the extra money on the charcoal filter. Maybe the dealer didn't use the charcoal replacement and that's one reason why your system may be stinking.

https://youtu.be/0GXTPzRBx2k

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could always just purchase the manual, the actual book, or there may be a CD.
You can buy a service manual for the SPA XC90s? I'd _love_ to do that. I don't want to pay for a yearly subscription to VIDA, I just want a PDF copy of the whole thing, but I'd settle for a hard copy. Where does one acquire the manual/book?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

For a cabin filter though, that removal process is a pain. That's another reason why I love Lexus and Toyota, they are brilliantly logical in their design. Their cabin filter is located behind the glove box with only two plastic covers that are held on with two plastic clips that easily pop off, no tools needed.

This Volvo cabin filter is way under the foot well where it's kind of a pain in the arse to get to. Also, you will definitely want to spend the extra money on the charcoal filter. Maybe the dealer didn't use the charcoal replacement and that's one reason why your system may be stinking.

Haha that's a pain? And you were a tech?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks dude!

·
Registered
543 Posts
The OEM charcoal cabin filter is much better than many after market replacements, so don't buy a replacement on cost alone. You can tell by the weight/substance of the OEM. Replacement is a bit of a pain, but so is shelling out out over $100 in labor if you pay the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts