SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a musty smell inside the car with the AC on and off, could it be the cabin air filter needs to be replaced. If so are, is there one brand that makes a better one than the rest

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
OEM ones are expensive. Nothing wrong with aftermarket ones as long as they're charcoal activated. I ordered the 1" economy one from IPD and it was NPN brand.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Charcoal thick filter ONLY if you have IAQS, otherwise any filter that fits is fine.
If your car is smelling then you need to do a litle more work.
When the filter is out, make up a bleach and water solution and scrub the entire outside air intake and filter area thoroughly. Let dry, repeat.
Spray the vents with Fridgee Fresh after you install the filter and the A/C is running

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Evaps usually do not go bad on P2s

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I've got the smell right when I first turn AC on as well. Cabin filter was just changed and didn't seem to help. Doesn't bother me enough yet to troubleshoot further :)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Heater core

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can we use a carbon filter if we don't have IAQS? I would think the odor absorption would be good, but don't want to mess anything up.

thx!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
IIRC my XC70 had a 2" opening for a IAQS filter, but the car wasnt equipped with one. I would just go with OEM, its not much more than aftermarket filters

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
They all have TWO slots to be able to install the correct filter.
Personally I fell that if you live in a very hot climate, forego the thicker filter no matter which HVAC you have. The thicker filter slightly blocks airflow.
I find that I can use one notch lower on the blower, hence less noise from using the thinner filter.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a Bosch one from Amazon and it's made in China!

Of course it works. Different design from OEM because it doesn't have the plastic parts, but it does fit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts