SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many on this forum say to use Mobile 3360 tranny fluid. Rock Auto and other parts stores say any T-IV fluid such as Beck/Arnley T-IV. Also could bad fluid cause car to shudder on heavy acceleration?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently changed mine with Aisin T-IV and I am not having any issues. I think I got it from FCP as a "kit" which basically includes 4 quarts of Aisin T-IV and a drain plug washer. The change itself was pretty easy, though getting to the dipstick was mildly annoying.

Edit to add: I figure if the trans is made by Aisin, Aisin fluid should be good.

2009 C70 year round daily

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
I see that many on this forum say to use Mobile 3360 tranny fluid. Rock Auto and other parts stores say any T-IV fluid such as Beck/Arnley T-IV. Also could bad fluid cause car to shudder on heavy acceleration?
Extremely low trans fluid level can cause shudder due to loss of hydraulic pressure during heavy acceleration, hard cornering and/or braking.

Shortly after I bought my S40, the transmission came with fluid level too low and it would disengage the gear for a few seconds after a hard braking while cornering and suddenly engaging drive like when someone drops the clutch in gear on a manual trans vehicle.

Also, you can get cheap T-IV from your local Toyota dealer. It’s the same bottle as the Aisin. I paid $6.75/Qt last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
... though getting to the dipstick was mildly annoying....
I looked for a tranny dipstick and didn't see one, so I went to the owners manual and it makes no mention of one. Any tips on how to find it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked for a tranny dipstick and didn't see one, so I went to the owners manual and it makes no mention of one. Any tips on how to find it?
It is on the front of the trans, below the part of the intake where the ECU is mounted. It's easier to get to from underneath, and I found that using a length of vinyl hose and a funnel was the easiest way to add fluid through the dipstick tube.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
When should it be changed out?
My understanding is that it's designed to be lifetime with the computer making adjustments along the way accounting for the changes... but I think most mechanical minded folks like the idea of keeping a normal interval. I've seen folks do 30k, 100k anything.. certainly changing with the right stuff is good. But you do have to reset the computer or else it can cause problems as it will keep accounting for old dirty fluid....

The manual for my 06 says: "Check automatic transmission fluid level only if an external leak is identified. Volvo recommends changing automatic transmission fluid every 52,500 mile / 84,000 kilometers, only on vehicles used for towing, or when a message displays in the Instrument Panel test window."

·
Registered
129 Posts
Transmission manifacturer recommends to change the oil every 60k km. I believe its the same for bmw, audi and other european manufacturers.

Altough i havent changed transmission oil for my cabrio. 288k km on the dash and the gears shift smooth

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm still thinking I'll have ours changed @ 75K miles or the spring oil change. Never been done; but I don't notice any real change in the tranny over the years.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't notice any real change in the tranny over the years.
Do it, the sooner the better. If you notice a change in your transmission, by the time you notice something, its too late.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good advice change it or at least do the drain and fills

Do it, the sooner the better. If you notice a change in your transmission, by the time you notice something, its too late.

I am pretty familiar with Aisin trannys since I have owned a few Lexus GS's. The dealer says no need to change, the forums have plenty of people saying they crap out early if the fluid is not changed. For my 2011 C70 there is no dipstick so I cannot do a drain and fill, which only changes about 1/4 of the fluid. I have to spend about $350 having the mechanic tap into the trans cooler line and running new fluid into it that way until the fluid coming out of the drain plug is clean. I have no idea how they know if they got the right amount of fluid when done. That worries me.

If I could do the drain and fills I would do them every 25K starting at 50K, assuming the fluid removed is still in good shape. If it is on the darker side I would do two in a row with your oil changes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am pretty familiar with Aisin trannys since I have owned a few Lexus GS's. The dealer says no need to change, the forums have plenty of people saying they crap out early if the fluid is not changed. For my 2011 C70 there is no dipstick so I cannot do a drain and fill, which only changes about 1/4 of the fluid. I have to spend about $350 having the mechanic tap into the trans cooler line and running new fluid into it that way until the fluid coming out of the drain plug is clean. I have no idea how they know if they got the right amount of fluid when done. That worries me.

If I could do the drain and fills I would do them every 25K starting at 50K, assuming the fluid removed is still in good shape. If it is on the darker side I would do two in a row with your oil changes.
Are you SURE it doesn't have a dipstick? I though all of the C70s do. It's hidden underneath the airbox. A pain in the ass to reach, but it can be done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got in there with a flashlight and spotted something yellow under part of the wiring harness. Unfortunately there is a harness support bracket right there so I could not move the wires to see. I will remove the air filter and see if that gets me better access. If this is the dipstick it very close to the Aisin Volvo sticker on the tranny correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
“A picture is worth more than a thousand words”

Here you go:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts